Sign in to follow this  
banginAltima

How to wire your Sundown amp.

This is for the Saz-1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 3500 and up as well as the Sae-1200.

Lets start out by saying that these amps are mono block amps. This means they are internally bridged (paralleled).

First lets take a look at the sub.

Speakerwire003.jpg

Unless you trim the wire down two 8 gauge are not going to fit in one terminal (if you want to parallel the coils at the sub).

So, what I do is parallel the coils at the box.

This is a picture of the speaker wires inside the box.

Speakerwire006.jpg

This is what it looks like on the outside.

Speakerwire002.jpg

Since the coils are paralleled on the inside of the box with the bolts, all you have to do is send two positives and two negatives to the amp.

You can even put a set of bolts per voice coil if you wanted too.

If you need to series your subs you can do it like this, then send only one set of speaker wires to the amp.

Speakerwire001.jpg

Now for the connections at the amp.

Using all the amp connections here.

This could be for multiple subs with the connections being made somewhere else or this is for using one sub with one coil going to one side and the other coil going to the other side.

Speakerwire012.jpg

Now these pictures are used for a single connection to the amp.

You can use either side.

Speakerwire013.jpg

This is if you want some space between the positive and negative wires.

Speakerwire014.jpg

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks man, pretty informative and everything to it.

Are those wires solder to the ring terminals on the box or crimped on?

thanks for posting!

so if I took 2 dual 4 ohm subs, 2 wires coming out of the box for each sub, going into all the + and - ports for the wires, the amp would read it at 1 ohm as long as it was parallel

Thanks man, pretty informative and everything to it.

Are those wires solder to the ring terminals on the box or crimped on?

I just crimped them. I have never had an issue with them.

thanks for posting!

so if I took 2 dual 4 ohm subs, 2 wires coming out of the box for each sub, going into all the + and - ports for the wires, the amp would read it at 1 ohm as long as it was parallel

Yes, that is correct. Parallel the coils on each sub how ever you choose. Then the pos and neg coming from each sub to the amp.

ive heard your impedance rise gets a little worse if you use bolts like that... have you experienced that? my next setup, im actually hoping it rises a little so i can strap 2 sundowns at 1.5ohm or so. (dual 1 ohm subs)

Very well written and easy to understand tutorial.

Thanks

ive heard your impedance rise gets a little worse if you use bolts like that... have you experienced that? my next setup, im actually hoping it rises a little so i can strap 2 sundowns at 1.5ohm or so. (dual 1 ohm subs)

I checked the ohm with a multi meter and it showed zero. Think about it this way, the part of the bolt that is getting used is around one inch or less for a single layered box. You would get more box rise then what the bolts would cause. Also, if the was the case no one would be using them esp. the pros.

Sidenote: I am working on showing how to strap two amps but I need to find another amp.

I checked the ohm with a multi meter and it showed zero. Think about it this way, the part of the bolt that is getting used is around one inch or less for a single layered box. You would get more box rise then what the bolts would cause. Also, if the was the case no one would be using them esp. the pros.

Sidenote: I am working on showing how to strap two amps but I need to find another amp.

ok, thanks. depending on what subs i use, imp rise would actually help me a little. but i dont understand fully how/why imp rise happens and what can/will cause it. anybody have a link to info on it? i checked on bcae1, but maybe i missed it

How to strap your Sundown amps.

For Saz-1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 3500 and up.

Again only Saz amps.

Starting with the RCA's.

This is the master amp. Hook the input RCA's as normal and hook the strapping RCA to the BR OUT.

Speakerwire018.jpg

Then hook the other end of the strapping RCA into the slave amp where it says BR IN.

Speakerwire017.jpg

This is the end result.

Speakerwire015.jpg

Now for speaker wires.

Hook BOTH sets of negatives together. Keep your wires as short as possible and use good quality wire.

You spend a lot for these amps, the least you can do is use some good 8 gauge wire.

Speakerwire020.jpg

Next thing is to hook up the positive speaker wires on the master amp (the one with the BR OUT). Like so...

Speakerwire024.jpg

The last part is hooking up the negative speaker wires on the slave amp. Please note that when strapping amps the slave amps positive speaker wires are going to be used as negative speaker wires.

Speakerwire028.jpg

The amp gain, bass boost, etc. is controlled by the master amp so there is no need to gain match or anything like that.

It's as simple as that.

DISCLAIMER: I USED A SAZ-1500 AND SAZ-2000 AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY. DO NOT TRY TO STRAP AMPS TOGETHER THAT ARE NOT THE SAME POWER. IF YOU DO A BLACK HOLE WITH OPEN UP AND SWALLOW ALL OF YOUR DB'S.

Edit: Recap: The master amp(BR OUT) is used for the positve speaker wires. The slave amp's (BR IN) positive speaker wires are used as the negative speaker wire. Hook both negative speaker wire to the other amp's negative speaker wires.

Sidenote: When you strap amps, you cut the ohm load in half. A 2 ohm load would equal 1 ohm on each amp.

Edited by banginAltima

good write up! just curious what would happen if you strapped a 1500d and a 3000d?

Are you serious?

good write up! just curious what would happen if you strapped a 1500d and a 3000d?
DISCLAIMER: I USED A SAZ-1500 AND SAZ-2000 AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY. DO NOT TRY TO STRAP AMPS TOGETHER THAT ARE NOT THE SAME POWER. IF YOU DO A BLACK HOLE WITH OPEN UP AND SWALLOW ALL OF YOUR DB'S.

:Doh:

This may seem like a noobish question, but... If I have 2 D2 subs wired together for a final load of 2 ohms at the amp with one positive and one negetive terminal used on the amps, and I have another 2 D2 subs wired together for a final load of 2 ohms at the amp with the other positive and negetive terminals used, would the ohm load on the amps still be 2, and would I still get the full 6,000 watts? (SAZ-3000d's strapped).

This may seem like a noobish question, but... If I have 2 D2 subs wired together for a final load of 2 ohms at the amp with one positive and one negetive terminal used on the amps, and I have another 2 D2 subs wired together for a final load of 2 ohms at the amp with the other positive and negetive terminals used, would the ohm load on the amps still be 2, and would I still get the full 6,000 watts? (SAZ-3000d's strapped).

Two dual 2 ohm subs would equal either 5. ohms or 2 ohms. Add another set of dual 2 ohm subs would equal 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

Two dual 2 ohm subs would equal either 5. ohms or 2 ohms. Add another set of dual 2 ohm subs would equal 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

That's what I thought. I just figured I'd get a definate answer from someone more experienced than I am.

Thanks.

Good post Gary. It is definitely clear and concise.

Sign in to follow this