Loud01Blazer

dissapointed in my score..

well went to a show today, and somehow only managed a 145.3 @ 36hz with the equipment in sig. I'm thinking it's in the enclosure. Can someone throw me some dimensions for an optimal box for these? I have plenty of room to work with so thats not an issue. I've seen posts where people are doin a 150+ with these subs and less power and still listening to it daily so i now a big number is in them, just need a different box.

That's most likely your prob.

Although i HATE high tuning above 32Hz, if you tune higher you will see better results.

thats probably one of my problems, but i did a 145 flat a while back with 2 comp vr 15's running off ed nine.1 i peaked at 39hz with that so you can see why i'm dissapointed...i go from 1200wrms to 4000wrms and my score is the same with better equipment. i'll try tuning a little higher and see what that does. If that doesn't help much i'll re-do the box, hopefully someone that has NS 15's and having good results wil chime in on an enclosure recomendation..

how is your box setup sub up port back how far is the box from the hatch it doesnt take much to throw a score off. is it a 2dr or 4dr blazer 4dr peak at around 51 52hz the 36hz you had before may have been the box peak not the vehicle peak. before rebuilding get more time on meter and try moving the box around slowly inch by inch

Edited by dbjunior

How much port area do you have?

4 4" full length aero ports

Box is setup subs up ports back, about 4-5 inches from back hatch. it's also a 2 door blazer

what ORG? mic? mic placement?

pics of the setup?

150's in a blazer is pretty easy if that's what you're going for.. daily 50's aren't too hard to come by either (not with the gear you have)..

**I'm not certain on the newer style blazers... or if 01 was different... my 4 door 98 did 148.8 term/headrest/sealed on 2500watts and one concept cpt 15 in 2.5cubes tuned 35hz... pretty much a daily setup..

db drag, term-lab sealed on the dash

150+ is my goal with this set-up while keeping it a daily beater, i know it's in there somewhere..

Edited by Loud01Blazer

i think re tuneing would be a good start, try and plug one of your aeros and see if it helps?

^^^ That's exactly what you don't want to do. I have four 4" aeros for just my one 15" Nightshade and plug two for daily. I would say use three 6" aeros and plug one for daily.

I think the main problem is just that your score was from such a low note. 36 hz is really low for an SPL competition, most guys are in the 50's or 60's. It's more difficult for subs to create higher pressures with lower notes. I can't see your signature because I have them turned off, but I think you should try a higher tune and/or a different box size to try and get your peak frequency up. 145 at 36 hz is really good though, don't kid yourself about that. I'd bet that if you tuned to 45 hz you'd see a 150.

Damn I would think you would get a better score with just 1 Nightshade and 1 AQ2200 let alone 2 of each..

wow.. that small of an suv i think you should be putting a better number up.. although 145 is very nice for a daily driver.. my trunked car does 143.2

but then again what do i know im not a bass racer yet.

145dB @ 36Hz is pretty impressive imo..

try moving the box forward, further away from your tailgate.. also, you could try changing the orientation of your box.. e.g. sub forward port up, sub up port forward... box placement makes a big difference..

if you could get your hands on some 4" pipe, you can easily swap out your 'full length' daily tuned ports for a shorter / higher tuned SPL only ports, while keeping the flared ends..

ur score at such low tuning aint half bad. There are a few things that might help you improve. Find your resonant frequensie!!! <--very important. Normally cars have two peaks The one will give you the effects of cabin gain the second might be more but you will have less bandwith and no cabin gain to play with.

Resin your box. Tape up the vents move your seats visers etc around. Also using cloth seats obsorb some DB;s if your chasing for the highest score possible, but tuning your box higher would be a good start by itself. I aint no pro at this, but this is my understanding. Hope it helps.

You vehicle probably peaks at 48 - 52 Hz.

Tune to 40-45 and burp at 48 - 52 and you'll pick up alot.

Use 100 - 150 in^2 of port... my box has 156 in^2 :) I just put up 153.8 dB with two Z15s on Saturday.

could be the vehicle res. freq and box coming into play. i have a single 15 off of a 3000d at 3.0@33 and do 148.1 at 48hz. the 48hz is the peak (vehicle) not matter what my box is tuned to. i tried going with abs external port and cut from 25hz up to 50hz tuning and the peak freq barely strayed away from 48hz. if you can, get some time with the TL to fool around and find what works.

145 at 36hz is very respectable. that's a decent amount of output in the 30hz region. you will notice more strictly spl guys are burping in the high 40s-50s region, and although yes it's impressive to see a 150 @ 55hz or whatever, imo 145@ 30hz is a lot more impressive to the ear.

like stated, box position, visors, all that stuff can have a big impact, so just guess and check with variables. you can never really have a PERFECT system (really loud daily, yet put up high numbers), but your best bet to getting that would probably be port plugs or interchangeable ports as mentioned. i would just build a separate comp box though, as a higher tuned box wont give you the lows like your current box does.

Is the new setup louder?

If so, sometimes numbers aint everything.

Hell I've heard 150 sound like weaker than a 142.

Just depends on the setup and tuning.

But don't blame the equipment, I'm sure put in the right box and setup correctly, it'll do 150s. Now its just build and test time.

LIsten to Jacob's post :)

you should do pretty much exactly what he said for your truck... all my suv's have peaked in that freq range.

I think 4 areos is plenty for 2 15's however I just recently started tuning for the dash. When I was doing meca and getting metered at the headrest 4 fours was loudest for me and somtimes only 3 depending on the configuration. I think you could pick up a few tenths by going to two 6 inch ports. I would also defenatly tune higher as those cars are gonna like somthing right in the area Jacob said. I would try taking the box you have and try different port lengths I have had setups drop or gain 2+ db with tuning/port length. You also might try taking some volume out of the box.

Edited by Bud1

I think 4 areos is plenty for 2 15's.

Four 4 inch ports is not enough for two NS 15's.

Derrick824 had three 4 inch ports on one 15's NS doing a 148.x on a Saz-1500.....

Edit: I recommend running 5 to 6 four inch ports for a burp then pluging two for daily.

Edited by banginAltima