Notorious97200

Why do you all love 10" subs ?

Makes my dick look bigger

Now thats funny.

I only need a 3" driver for that. :gift:

I'd love to try some 8's or 10s :) i've only had twelves (all single) just to see for myself how they compare

Edited by FF5

10" subs give nice tight bass. it is mostly ppl that want SQ that run 10"'s

Bullish.

I know a certain car which took 5th place at the EMMA SQ Euro finals last year and he used a ported 18 for the subwoofer.

I can only fit one 10" in my trunk for the box I wanted for it. Totally a space issue for me.

Space issue and I got my 10" subs really cheap. :D I am tired of the 1 single 15" sub or the 2 12" subs look. I wish I could give enough room for an 18" in my trunk but... thats not going to happen especially when I want to use part of my trunk still.

I am actually going to be do a build for 2 10" subs for my trunk car and 4 8" subs for another trunk car. The boxes are going to give enough space for the subs and about half the room left in the trunk to store stuff.

2 10's cause they take the most power and make the biggest deebeez!!!!!!!

I understand that it's a matter of cone area : you have more with two 10" sub than a 12", but in a smaller enclosure.

I have never been impressed with the sound of small subwoofers, but I know it is possible!

I would love to instal in my car, those thin subs, like the JL tw13 or the Memphis ones. I think they really don't need big enclosures, but they are 12" or 13" woofers (not small at all).

And finally the look may be very important for all of you with those beautiful fiberglass instal !!!

I understand that it's a matter of cone area : you have more with two 10" sub than a 12", but in a smaller enclosure.

I have never been impressed with the sound of small subwoofers, but I know it is possible!

I would love to instal in my car, those thin subs, like the JL tw13 or the Memphis ones. I think they really don't need big enclosures, but they are 12" or 13" woofers (not small at all).

And finally the look may be very important for all of you with those beautiful fiberglass instal !!!

I'd avoid the thin subs, but not the small diameter ones.

Honestly, if did not have the option for standard drivers and did not co-own a speaker company, the JL is probably the only shallow mount I would consider.

I used JL subs for all my first systems, and loved the SQ from them :)

But for the shallow mounts, I would choose the RE SLs :D

I'd just put the money in the front stage instead of a sub if I couldn't fit a full format. 8" midbass >> shallow sub IMO

if set up correctly 10"can be really impressive

my last 10" set up droped the lows better than any of my friends systems

( you know the ones that think you need large woofers for the low stuff..LOL)

Awesome, I always love big numbers with low hertz.

I might be off here but I thought what the hell. Is it possible that the reason people see 10's as the better choice is that manufacturer's tend to build 10's first and then move up and down in size. I know that not all do this but in general maybe. And in most cases the motor design is the same throughout. That includes the magnet size. If that is the case, wouldn't this mean that the bl force would then be inherently lower per sq inch of cone on the larger coned drivers? I have always wondered if this could be the reason for this belief in the general community of listeners that have this fast bass belief. If the 15 and the 10 are using the same level of bl then the true control would show better in the 10 and that would make it have the higher performance with those transitions in bass notes. Anyone know for sure if that is a correct assumption? Regardless I have always loved this type of discussion because this is when an engineer can really step back and pull out all the stops in the future developments with outside thoughts in mind.

Keep this kind of talk going or I won't have anything good to do through this slow economy and long nights. :suicide-santa:

I might be off here but I thought what the hell. Is it possible that the reason people see 10's as the better choice is that manufacturer's tend to build 10's first and then move up and down in size. I know that not all do this but in general maybe. And in most cases the motor design is the same throughout. That includes the magnet size. If that is the case, wouldn't this mean that the bl force would then be inherently lower per sq inch of cone on the larger coned drivers? I have always wondered if this could be the reason for this belief in the general community of listeners that have this fast bass belief. If the 15 and the 10 are using the same level of bl then the true control would show better in the 10 and that would make it have the higher performance with those transitions in bass notes. Anyone know for sure if that is a correct assumption? Regardless I have always loved this type of discussion because this is when an engineer can really step back and pull out all the stops in the future developments with outside thoughts in mind.

Keep this kind of talk going or I won't have anything good to do through this slow economy and long nights. :suicide-santa:

You can never just look at one parameter. Motor force is one thing. Here, you are simply assuming the larger driver has more mass so it will be "slower." It doesn't dictate, in time, how the driver responds to the signal.

If you want a driver to be "fast" or "quick," you want a driver designed to play high frequencies.

I have heard some setups with 10" subs that sounded pretty good, but i have never had sub smaller than 12" Just my preference tho, i like 15s and 18s best.

I understand that 1 parameter can't control the whole show but, as I was saying in the example the manufacturer's using the same motor and suspension etc, etc. That would mean that the only thing left is the size of the frame and cone that would be changed. If this is the truth in this scenario (and by the looks of the majority of woofers out there, it appears this is common), that would mean they are inherently similar in a majority of the parameters wouldn't it. Would that make my theory look a little more plausible. To show the difference you can look at proprietary drivers like the W7, notice each drivers built in scale and the magnets go with this. Is this just a coincidence? I would think for a certain type of sonic signature people are looking for (each one of us different) you would have to figure if you didn't like the 10W7, you probably wouldn't like the 13W7 either for the same reason. In the case of using the same motors, if you want more low you get more Sd and if you want more output you go for more drivers, in general, if you like the sonic signature of your current driver. I have found most people around my area think they are getting louder when the truth is they just start using the ultra low frequencies for the first time and they can feel it more. Again I am not absolutely positive but it would appear to my stubborn head that this is true. Thanks again for this most compelling discussion.

because 3 10's is louder then 2 12's normally and louder then 1 15 ;)

and or 2 10's is louder then 1 12s

Edited by ddeitz

It is all about space. You ALWAYS need to build an optimal enclosure for what drivers you select and regularly that will be for 10's depending on what space you have.

If anyone says it is about "speed" or what not they are dumb. Nothing at all to do with it, and if they bought for that reason they don't know their head from their ass.

Your the "dumb" one I described above. Tight bass has NOTHING to do with sub size.

So you are saying that you can get the same tight bass out of a 15 that you can out of a 10 I think not.. I know that the box has a lot to do with it..... But if you don't know how to build a box you wont get tight bass.. Dumb ass.

Lets see you get tight bass out of anything else. and in tell you can prove it keep your friggin mouth shut.

If you want to go out of your way to be ignorant I'll play. I can be VARY ignorant. want to see

Edited by efxtruck

I'd hesitate to say any sub size is louder than another. This again goes back to the design of the speaker and the box she drives from. Also the environment its being used in. I can say that I have seen many a single driver around here louder than multiple driver setups. Problems with that statement though is that it was louder in one-half of an octave where it was creamed in the rest. It really can't be said, IMO, that a size dominates in any department due to the multitude of variables. When I purchase subs I look for the puzzle pieces that fit my desires and not the boomer guy down the road. One mans' trash is another mans' treasure sort of thing I think. Would you say a trio of Wal-Mart brand 10's were louder than a single Kicker Comp VR 15. I think not. Out of the same series of woofer say 3 Comp VR 10's vs a single Comp VR 15 (given your using them in an appropriate enclosure tailored to the design of the sub itself (manufacturer's specs for the box in other words) and not exceeding the subs limits) I would think the amount of air you are moving would be greater with the 10's but the 15 would respond with a slight edge in the 20hz region. You'd have to mic the thing in so many places to prove it but I'd venture to say it would be true. If you bought a sub that was not designed to go low, I dont care what enclosure you do, the sub won't go low and play it loud enough to justify the sacrifices you have made to get there. Thats why there are so many different drivers on this market. Or maybe not who knows what we will have tomorrow. Maybe fans that blow through holes and the blades tilt for the different frequencies. :wacky:

It is all about space. You ALWAYS need to build an optimal enclosure for what drivers you select and regularly that will be for 10's depending on what space you have.

If anyone says it is about "speed" or what not they are dumb. Nothing at all to do with it, and if they bought for that reason they don't know their head from their ass.

Your the "dumb" one I described above. Tight bass has NOTHING to do with sub size.

So you are saying that you can get the same tight bass out of a 15 that you can out of a 10 I think not.. I know that the box has a lot to do with it..... But if you don't know how to build a box you wont get tight bass.. Dumb ass.

Lets see you get tight bass out of anything else. and in tell you can prove it keep your friggin mouth shut.

If you want to go out of your way to be ignorant I'll play. I can be VARY ignorant. want to see

Hmm, yeah probably not a good idea to badmouth a moderator if you want to continue posting here. Especially when you're wrong. If you don't know how to build a box you won't get tight bass out of a 10" either.

Ever been to a club with a concert playing? If they have dedicated subwoofers and not just 2-way monitors, a lot of the time the tight bass you feel is from 18" drivers. And I'll put in that my ported 15" SI Mag v.2 is one of the most accurate subs I've heard.

I'd also like to add that the size only matters when you are looking at the fit. The drivers parameters only matter when you are picking the sonic signature and output. They both have to be decided together in the end for you to make the "right" choice. Right choice can only be your opinion and that means the guy down the road will disagree because he wants you to have his ideal setup. I have asked in this forum about the LOUD SOUND QUALITY drivers that I have never heard and I go multiple answers ( and I am thankful). It gives me some faith that the list is of real fans of the quality of the design. They can't tell me what sub will really suit me and my vehicle cause they don't really know what I want. But the endorsement of these SSA products has me leaning in favor of them because they appear to fit my taste. Hopefully my financial situation will redeem and I will be slamming to the tune of a single 15" XCON soon. :fing34: Until then I'm stuck listening to some old HPO 10's that are muddy and blah (they are in the local shop's choice enclosure). I would hope the fella's at SSA will steer me right when I go for that big mutha F****** sub that they got, and I will have an optimal enclosure for what I seek.

So why not everyone just do what I say : ) Cause I'm right and wrong all the time, I guarantee it!

Hmm, yeah probably not a good idea to badmouth a moderator if you want to continue posting here. Especially when you're wrong. If you don't know how to build a box you won't get tight bass out of a 10" either.

Ever been to a club with a concert playing? If they have dedicated subwoofers and not just 2-way monitors, a lot of the time the tight bass you feel is from 18" drivers. And I'll put in that my ported 15" SI Mag v.2 is one of the most accurate subs I've heard.

I did say that the box makes the tight bass, and if you are a mod it not a good reflection on the forum if you are ignorant. And my JBL WGTI 10's are the tighest most controlled subs on the market.