Notorious97200

Why do you all love 10" subs ?

I'd hesitate to say any sub size is louder than another. This again goes back to the design of the speaker and the box she drives from. Also the environment its being used in. I can say that I have seen many a single driver around here louder than multiple driver setups. Problems with that statement though is that it was louder in one-half of an octave where it was creamed in the rest. It really can't be said, IMO, that a size dominates in any department due to the multitude of variables. When I purchase subs I look for the puzzle pieces that fit my desires and not the boomer guy down the road. One mans' trash is another mans' treasure sort of thing I think. Would you say a trio of Wal-Mart brand 10's were louder than a single Kicker Comp VR 15. I think not. Out of the same series of woofer say 3 Comp VR 10's vs a single Comp VR 15 (given your using them in an appropriate enclosure tailored to the design of the sub itself (manufacturer's specs for the box in other words) and not exceeding the subs limits) I would think the amount of air you are moving would be greater with the 10's but the 15 would respond with a slight edge in the 20hz region. You'd have to mic the thing in so many places to prove it but I'd venture to say it would be true. If you bought a sub that was not designed to go low, I dont care what enclosure you do, the sub won't go low and play it loud enough to justify the sacrifices you have made to get there. Thats why there are so many different drivers on this market. Or maybe not who knows what we will have tomorrow. Maybe fans that blow through holes and the blades tilt for the different frequencies. :wacky:

I totally agree with you JW.

After all this talk, I am really not ready to try 10's'or 8's'!!!!!!!

I love how my 15 Icon plays the low notes, AND how it hits HARD!

Only a little baby will be make me try small size woofers!:) to save space in the trunk

10" subs give nice tight bass. it is mostly ppl that want SQ that run 10"'s
It is all about space. You ALWAYS need to build an optimal enclosure for what drivers you select and regularly that will be for 10's depending on what space you have.

If anyone says it is about "speed" or what not they are dumb. Nothing at all to do with it, and if they bought for that reason they don't know their head from their ass.

Your the "dumb" one I described above. Tight bass has NOTHING to do with sub size.

So you are saying that you can get the same tight bass out of a 15 that you can out of a 10 I think not.. I know that the box has a lot to do with it..... But if you don't know how to build a box you wont get tight bass.. Dumb ass.

Lets see you get tight bass out of anything else. and in tell you can prove it keep your friggin mouth shut.

If you want to go out of your way to be ignorant I'll play. I can be VARY ignorant. want to see

Hmm, yeah probably not a good idea to badmouth a moderator if you want to continue posting here. Especially when you're wrong. If you don't know how to build a box you won't get tight bass out of a 10" either.

Ever been to a club with a concert playing? If they have dedicated subwoofers and not just 2-way monitors, a lot of the time the tight bass you feel is from 18" drivers. And I'll put in that my ported 15" SI Mag v.2 is one of the most accurate subs I've heard.

I did say that the box makes the tight bass, and if you are a mod it not a good reflection on the forum if you are ignorant. And my JBL WGTI 10's are the tighest most controlled subs on the market.

Another ignorant blanket statement. The WGTI's are NOT the tightest subs on the market bar none. Not even close.

18's can be as tight as 10's.

It is all about space. You ALWAYS need to build an optimal enclosure for what drivers you select and regularly that will be for 10's depending on what space you have.

If anyone says it is about "speed" or what not they are dumb. Nothing at all to do with it, and if they bought for that reason they don't know their head from their ass.

Your the "dumb" one I described above. Tight bass has NOTHING to do with sub size.

So you are saying that you can get the same tight bass out of a 15 that you can out of a 10 I think not.. I know that the box has a lot to do with it..... But if you don't know how to build a box you wont get tight bass.. Dumb ass.

Lets see you get tight bass out of anything else. and in tell you can prove it keep your friggin mouth shut.

If you want to go out of your way to be ignorant I'll play. I can be VARY ignorant. want to see

Hmm, yeah probably not a good idea to badmouth a moderator if you want to continue posting here. Especially when you're wrong. If you don't know how to build a box you won't get tight bass out of a 10" either.

Ever been to a club with a concert playing? If they have dedicated subwoofers and not just 2-way monitors, a lot of the time the tight bass you feel is from 18" drivers. And I'll put in that my ported 15" SI Mag v.2 is one of the most accurate subs I've heard.

I did say that the box makes the tight bass, and if you are a mod it not a good reflection on the forum if you are ignorant. And my JBL WGTI 10's are the tighest most controlled subs on the market.

the Wgti is the tightest most musical sub I have ever heard in car period....

the differential drive coil / motor assembly is an unfair comparison to a conventional motor design

BUT....I SMOKED about 5 or 6 of them in 6 months completely filling the car with smoke EVERY TIME........and JBL does NOT sell recone kits

for them......... :lame: ............. FAIL!!.............LMAO

I know that the box makes the woofer. But if you don't have a well designed woofer the box doesn't make nice clear crisp sound. You get what you pay for Im sure that we can all agree on that. we should just leave it at that I think :chat: . I think everyone is a little cranky today lol :angry22:

Another ignorant blanket statement. The WGTI's are NOT the tightest subs on the market bar none. Not even close.

18's can be as tight as 10's.

Ok what your opinion of the best subs on the market right now

I think everyone is a little cranky today lol :angry22:

I can only see one cranky person...and that is you.

lol, i would probably drop that argument with M5, he knows what he is talking about. I mean you can bicker about which sub is the best, but cone size does not dictate "tightness". I'm sure the aurasound 18 sounds pretty damn good

Enclosure enclosure enclosure................can we say that anymore???

Now I will say IMO some subs are designed to make a more clear sound, but the enclosure is STILL the main factor. You can make a 18" SPL sub sound pretty goddamn decent, with the right enclosure, just like with a shit enclosure you can make the most highly reguarded SQ sub sound like a wet taco fart.

J

I think everyone is a little cranky today lol :angry22:

I can only see one cranky person...and that is you.

x2

There is NO best. Intelligent hobbyists understand this.

The only ignorance here has been exhibited by yourself. In fact, you're bordering on stupidity.

The only ignorance here has been exhibited by yourself. In fact, you're bordering on stupidity.

Do you know what???? I think that this is a pretty shabby display for most of the Mod's on this on this thread. If you are a Mod you should be leading by example. There should be no Name Calling making fun of or anything to this degree. This all started because M5 (a Mod here) was calling people "STUPID". And other Mod's followed suit. If you ask me Mods should be held at a higher ACCOUNTABLITY then the rest of the people on the Forum. And I don't think that it should be accepted or tolerated.

Do you know what???? I think that this is a pretty shabby display for most of the Mod's on this on this thread. If you are a Mod you should be leading by example. There should be no Name Calling making fun of or anything to this degree. This all started because M5 (a Mod here) was calling people "STUPID". And other Mod's followed suit. If you ask me Mods should be held at a higher ACCOUNTABLITY then the rest of the people on the Forum. And I don't think that it should be accepted or tolerated.

We ARE leading by example, you just don't get the example. If you are being stupid, we will let you know. If you are being ignorant, we will let you know. If you are being nice, we will let you know.

We don't tolerate bullshit around here, and we don't like people who do. If you want to learn, this is the place to be. If you can't take constructive criticism, then you don't want to be here. If you do something wrong, you WILL be put in your place. If you learn from that, then you are progressing as you should. That is the goal.

If someone calling you stupid on the internet bothers you, you have far greater issues than what is being presented here.

Sometimes I think that television could stand to have a new drama about subwoofers. :wacky:

We ARE leading by example, you just don't get the example. If you are being stupid, we will let you know. If you are being ignorant, we will let you know. If you are being nice, we will let you know.

We don't tolerate bullchit around here, and we don't like people who do. If you want to learn, this is the place to be. If you can't take constructive criticism, then you don't want to be here. If you do something wrong, you WILL be put in your place. If you learn from that, then you are progressing as you should. That is the goal.

If someone calling you stupid on the internet bothers you, you have far greater issues than what is being presented here.

OK if we are here to learn teach me how calling someone "STUPID" is constructive criticism??? Where I come from it's counter productive. Just a question???

Edited by efxtruck

so when you continue to make asinine comments based on your misguided opinions what do you want the mods to call you, special?

i think you're fighting a losing battle here, seeing as none of the points you've tried to make can be validated empirically.

We don't tolerate bullchit around here, and we don't like people who do. If you want to learn, this is the place to be. If you can't take constructive criticism, then you don't want to be here. If you do something wrong, you WILL be put in your place. If you learn from that, then you are progressing as you should. That is the goal.

OK if we are here to learn teach me how calling someone "STUPID" is constructive criticism??? Where I come from it's counter productive. Just a question???

Apparently you didn't fully read my statement. Does it really bother you that someone is blatantly pointing out your stupidity? Are your feelings hurt? Seriously, think about it.

We get our point across instantly; grabbing your attention. When it is piqued, that is the best time to understand your ignorance or stupidy and learn properly.

Calling names is only counterproductive when you have underlying issues.

so when you continue to make asinine comments based on your misguided opinions what do you want the mods to call you, special?

i think you're fighting a losing battle here, seeing as none of the points you've tried to make can be validated empirically.

Just because you are a MOD doesn't make you a god... Nor does it mean that you know everything.. Or anything at all really. If ignorant comments aren't tolerated by normal people why is it ok for the MOD'S.

And I like all the big words. Do they make you feel Special.

and still no one answered my question. "OK if we are here to learn teach me how calling someone "STUPID" is constructive criticism??? Where I come from it's counter productive. Just a question???"

Edited by efxtruck

I just ate a Tim Hortons honey dipped donut FYI.......

am now about to crack the lid on my X Large Double Double :bigclap:

also I'm getting old and was thinking of taking up an addiction to Viagra to :fing34:

LOL...

come on guys..no need to start a chicks with dicks club...just try and get along

also I'm getting old and was thinking of taking up an addiction to Viagra to :fing34:

LOL...

I hear you! .... :lol:

Anybody for cheese pizza? :fing34:

Okay, lets relax and try to get back to the topic at hand please.

I was just thinking that this all has really gotten off base. The real point seems to be whether you will find more 10's in comparison to any other sub in a car. I don't see that the truth will show this anymore. We used to have to use em cause the enclosures were feasible but now days you can fit even 15's in mid and compact cars. I would venture that a majority of sells of the 10's is pushed by dealers, the old way works mentality, and cheap prices on that work kinda mentality. Most of the buyers I know buy a brand name as well. Around here Rockford Fosgate could nearly make the biggest P O S sub or amp and it would still sell. I would say in the end, you are the final and only vote as a consumer and should never rush into buying anything in this nature without shopping the market for the real deal. I spent over 6 hours at Gamestop pondering the Wii, 360, or PS3. They thought I was nuts. You know what, I am! I am the only person with these next gen consoles I know that has no regrets. The same for my car audio purchases. I have a cheesy pair of Memphis HPO 10's ported at 45 hz and they suck. But they served the purpose of what I was looking for. Boom Boom! No SQ and all rattles. They may sound better sealed up but IDC. They won't step to a good LOUD SOUND QUALITY 15 and I have no want for them now that I've grown out of my all boom stage.

If you like the boom and no SQ thats great. Enjoy it. Its getting cheaper everyday. SQ is still usually more $$$$$. As I have learned all speakers can sound good. Its usually the output that limits them. Box may fix some of it but the limit will likely end in the drivers ability to move air under control and thermal limits. This is when you use your head and your ear to get what you want. I have had some broad range of equipment over the years and I have yet to find the perfect sub. They just can't make 'em that way. You always sacrifice something when you gain something. Just ask an engineer. Hell even the pros who compete on here say it. They typically say they have 2 different size drivers for them bottom octaves to keep things on a level sound stage. 10's, tweets, and 5.5's or how about a 15, 8, 5.5's and tweets. I will search for it again but years ago they had a story on one of them HT forums about the perfect speaker. This guy built these monster towers and they both house like 12 - 16 4 inch drivers. He had made custom crossovers and put partitions in the tower for each set of octaves. (1 driver for 2.5k-22k hz and 4 drivers for the bottom octave you get the idea.) The man was considered nuts by some and praised by others. They had tested it and found that it was about as flat on response as anything ever tested at the time. No subs no tweets. I try to remember this every time I am purchasing as it reminds me of how customizable audio can really be.

Edited by jw 2 + 2

I agree with you 100%

Just because you are a MOD doesn't make you a god... Nor does it mean that you know everything.. Or anything at all really. If ignorant comments aren't tolerated by normal people why is it ok for the MOD'S.

And I like all the big words. Do they make you feel Special.

and still no one answered my question. "OK if we are here to learn teach me how calling someone "STUPID" is constructive criticism??? Where I come from it's counter productive. Just a question???"

I agree with that 100% as well.