lilwhteranger

whats the difference in 1/2" and 3/4" mdf

i kno this is a stupid question but whats the difference in 1/2" mdf and 3/4" mdf?is there a big difference in sound?

after doing extensive research about this-

The answer is = 1\4"

I've always used 3\4" regardless how small the internal volume was and wouldnt use anything smaller.

it depends on the size / power of the subs being used.. with small 8" or less speakers, the vibrations will be minimal.. but with bigger subs, the small 1/2" panels will easily vibrate (out of phase of the sub causing cancellation and just plain old noise)

3/4 inch is also much easier to work with because 1/2 inch will try to split on you if you put any sort of screw in it. you can use 1/2 in but then youve got to predrill all of your holes to almost the same size as the screw and then you lose holding power. just go with the 3/4 because its only like a 5$ difference per sheet. also what type of box are you building and for what sub?

well i was originally gonna use 3/4". im building a big wedge shaped box. 2 12" Mtx 5500 thunder subs. the only reason i ask is cuz i got an extra 0.12 cu. ft of airspace if i go with 1/2" but i didn't think that 1/2" would hold up and probally wouldn't sound as good. and another question. these 12's need 1.25 cubes and i planned the boxes to be 0.75 cubes so should i use poly fill or sumthing similar?

if u dont have the space, then dont run something that requires it.

Also, as long as you are within 10% of the actual internal volume, there shouldnt be any audible difference.

i guess im gonna have to make the boxes alittle bigger then.

3/4 inch is also much easier to work with because 1/2 inch will try to split on you if you put any sort of screw in it. you can use 1/2 in but then youve got to predrill all of your holes to almost the same size as the screw and then you lose holding power. just go with the 3/4 because its only like a 5$ difference per sheet. also what type of box are you building and for what sub?

Well you should predrill all of your holes anyway. And the screws really only need to hold for the first few hours, because after that the dried glue is what holds the box together.

Well you should predrill all of your holes anyway. And the screws really only need to hold for the first few hours, because after that the dried glue is what holds the box together.

When I USED to use screws, I always predrilled holes. ALWAYS ALWAYS. However, I've found that a Titebond3 glue joint is more than sufficient.

When I USED to use screws, I always predrilled holes. ALWAYS ALWAYS. However, I've found that a Titebond3 glue joint is more than sufficient.

i always pre drill my holes any way regardless of the thickness of the wood but what i was saying was that when you have to drill a hole nearly as large as the screw itself

you lose alot of holding power while with a thicker piece of wood to screw into you dont have to make the hole quite as large because the wood is less likely to split. and i dont like just using glue the screws are kindof an extra security for me

i always pre drill my holes any way regardless of the thickness of the wood but what i was saying was that when you have to drill a hole nearly as large as the screw itself

you lose alot of holding power while with a thicker piece of wood to screw into you dont have to make the hole quite as large because the wood is less likely to split. and i dont like just using glue the screws are kindof an extra security for me

The glue is stronger than the wood itself ;)

idk just like the extra insurance and never really tested it but i think one 1 1/2 wood screw is rated to hold 50 lbs so if you have ten screws on thts 500 lbs

idk just like the extra insurance and never really tested it but i think one 1 1/2 wood screw is rated to hold 50 lbs so if you have ten screws on thts 500 lbs

The rating of the screw depends a lot on the material it holds together. I really doubt it can hold that much weight the way it is used in a box.

Wood glue is stronger than mdf.

IMG_5873.jpg