eggyhustles

fi q for home use?

I've been doing research on home subs and the prices are outrageous so i figured i'd try out a custom setup and incorporate a 10" or 12" fi q. anyone ever set one up at home? i want BIG car like bass( if possible) it'll be used for 60% music, 30% movies, and 10% gaming. what size box should be used? ported? sealed? also would an amp like this work? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=245-435

What home audio subs have you been looking at that the price is so high?

You'll want a ported box.

What's your over all budget for sub and amp?

What's your over all budget for sub and amp?

What home audio subs have you been looking at that the price is so high?

You'll want a ported box.

this was one

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

looked at a coupe hsv and av123 subs..all very expensive...i figure i might get more bang for my buck going the diy route

As Much As I Love Fi, I Think An Exodus Maelstom-X 18" Would Do Better.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info....products_id=681 <-- If You Have The Money.

But A Q Will Do Fantastic, It Will Also Be Louder. I've Got My 18" Q In A 13.5 Cube Box Tuned To 22hz In My Closet, All I Can Say Is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Edited by BigCProductions99

900 for sub and amp is a great budget. I did it for less :D

That looks amazing..

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info....products_id=681 <-- If You Have The Money.

But A Q Will Do Fantastic, It Will Also Be Louder. I've Got My 18" Q In A 13.5 Cube Box Tuned To 22hz In My Closet, All I Can Say Is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

an 18 would be way too much for a small bedroom. i don't really have much space for a huge box..maybe 5 cubes...

I'm on the maelstom x fan club.

I would get a mael-x's and a pro amp.

The Q12 D2 in 4 cu.ft. net volume tuned to 20 hz works well. Porting would take two 4 inch flared ports 40 inches long. You can save your self $200 on the amp and go for a Behringer EP2500, If you shop around they can be had for $300. You'll need a rumble filter to protect from over excursion at the lower frequencies. Since most pro amps don't have one you can get an add on unit like the Reckhorn B1, about $100.

That looks amazing..

an 18 would be way too much for a small bedroom. i don't really have much space for a huge box..maybe 5 cubes...

If size is a problem, then I would go sealed. Then you don't have to worry about over excursion either.

Once again I turn to the mael-x 18" for duty.

If you don't like that idea though try an Ixl from mach 5 in an 18 would maybe be perfect.

If you MUST use Fi products the Fi q 18 works well in 5-6 also. I just think that of these 3 options the Q will be the least effective at producing the sound that would be normally asssociated with HT.

Truely sealed would be perfect for your use, especially if your have ANY fear of over extending the speakers. Sealed will be much more forgiving, and with a LOW Fs like the Ixl or the Mael-x you could be pretty golden.

I too would recommend an 18 sealed over a 12" Q ported, your HT will thank you.

SO will the ladies once you find out the frequency that will work with your beds harmonics.

:D

lol. that should be left to shakers. ;)

Bah! That's the weak mans way of doing it!

so sealed 18" in 5 cubes is the only way to hook up my HT properly and still have a small footprint?

Fixed

And you are correct.

Not for the ladies or if you want to really feel it. :D

Not for the ladies or if you want to really feel it. :D

I have spent some time with some really cool rigs that have a LOT of output in the low single hz range, and seeing materials fall apart just from sound hitting it.

Speaker > powerfull dildo

Pluss my HT seating already has heated and "massage" seating. Only place vibrators belong are in the care of hot chicks and dual shock controlers mang.

=)

Well since you have those powerful vibrators in your seats already, it seems vibrators do belong in the HT.

=)

we're stealing the OP's thunder.... But yeah I know. They came with the couch, and so does my dual shock controller. The wife uses the vibration. I rarely do. If they were silent it would be ok, but noise other than time aligned beautifully mastered audio is not welcome in my HT

Unless it the sound of nachos and beer in my mouth.

Eggy, have you decided on a rig to put into the HT yet.

My honney do list is too long to even start working on my subs for the HT yet. I hope soon I can get to work on it.

Not to mention I think my table saw took a crap on me.