suprefly

SAX125.2 speaker hiss/distortion

First off, I hooked up the power wire and ground wrong. Power wire in the ground slot, ground in power slot (yeah i fail hardcore). I had the speakers wires hooked up and the RCAs, and remote wire. Not sure if this caused the problem, but definitely a good possiblity i believe

There's a hiss coming from my speakers when i have the volume all the way down, and i can faintly hear distortion when the speakers are playing. I regrounded the HU (a 9887), checked the ground on the amp, they're fine. I switched RCAs and the hiss/distortion was still there. I had some cheap RCAs that have a 1/8" jack on the other side, so i took those and hooked them up and hooked my Ipod directly to it, and the hiss/distiortion got worse ( cheap RCAs i assuming).....hooked the RCAs that go to the HU back up and the hiss/distortion went back to how it had been. I hooked up other speakers and the hiss distortion was there also.

I have ID CTX65cs comps btw.......I'm not sure what else to troubleshoot :( Unless i just damaged the amp.....

i hate hissing! does your hissing get louder when you rev the engine?

for my car whenever i turn the music down i can hear a faint hissing/ alt wine noise and it gets louder as my tack goes up. i have no clue where mine is coming from and i have done all the things you have done! the only apparent fix for me was to buy a pair of these! lol!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....012&scqty=2

and yes i have tried better rca and my noise didn't go away, and yes i ran the power and rca on opposite sides of the car, plus i have even grounded my rca! lol! i have run out of idea's lol!

Nah it doesn't change with revving....and yeah i have my power and RCAs run on different sides of the car.

Nah it doesn't change with revving....and yeah i have my power and RCAs run on different sides of the car.

Where is the ground for your amp? What is it mounted to?

IMG_8642.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

And my amp isn't mounted to anything yet, it's sitting on my seat

Edited by FF5

hookup rcas that run from a different output from your head unit to the amp.

Also, unhook all rcas and see if the noise is still present.

Hooked up the RCAs to different output, still there

UNhooked them, the hiss is still there......

edit: grounding out meaning that the + is touching any metal? They aren't.

Edited by FF5

just throwing a thought out there... ground back to battey neg. up front? swap amps to verify if it is the amp that is damaged? do u have other amps off same power and ground?

Your ground is shit, ground it right and that hiss will go away.

I don't have any other 2chan amps atm, but i have a sub and a mono amp for it, should i hook those up and listen?

And i'm not running any other amps off the power/ground

since you verified that the hiss is still there when no rcas are plugged in means that the source of the problem is specifically with the amp or amp's installation and nothing else.

Move your ground to a different location.

If you have spare time, take amp and sit it on a table next to your car's front battery and run power and ground directly to batt and see if the speakers still hiss...

If they do, this proves something is wrong with the amp if u do that test.

Where is an ideal grounding spot? Just double checking.....

The negative battery terminal.

EDIT: I guess I should add that if your battery is in the trunk like mine the negative terminal is preferred. Ground it to the frame.

Do NOT run it from the rear all the way to the front.

i pinched my finger like mother.....blood blister the size 8 awg on my pointer finger.....troubleshooting stops while i ice it :(

Edited by FF5

EDIT: I guess I should add that if your battery is in the trunk like mine the negative terminal is preferred. Ground it to the frame.

So instead of my amps being ground to the metal block with a bolt and washer which attaches the back seat to the cars' frame, I should run a little longer ground wire (almost 1-2 feet more) to where my battery's negative post since my battery is in the trunk also. I thought longer ground wire may have more resistence but i may be wrong.

So instead of my amps being ground to the metal block with a bolt and washer which attaches the back seat to the cars' frame, I should run a little longer ground wire (almost 1-2 feet more) to where my battery's negative post since my battery is in the trunk also. I thought longer ground wire may have more resistence but i may be wrong.

It is practically grounded to the frame, you don't need to do any more work...because your rear battery is grounded to the frame as well.

could it be the battery's ground to the frame that is causing it, not the amps ground?

you might as well upgrade the battery to chassis ground anyways.... it looks cooler that way ;)

edit: duran. sick ass avatar btw

Edited by lithium

could it be the battery's ground to the frame that is causing it, not the amps ground?

you might as well upgrade the battery to chassis ground anyways.... it looks cooler that way ;)

edit: duran. sick ass avatar btw

You mean the Big 3? I believe he already did it.

Thanks for the comment.

me? I haven't done the big three...yet. It was gonne be done after i got everything in and actually got to USE the equipment for a while.

But i assume you're talking to jay-cee