Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Q

Having Electrical Issues...

So i have a sundown 1200D and i did the Big 3 but thats all... besides that everything is stock. Then recently my sub would randomly stop playing, especially at higher volumes. At first i thought it was my headunit because i could get it to play if i pushed a certain way, well sometimes haha. Then i took it to where i got everything installed and they ran a "diagnostics test" and they said they couldnt find anything except maybe that it was too much power for my stock electrical and that ive fvcked up my amp. Well i cant find the papers to my order with the amp so idk what to do there.... but besides that, the guy told me if i had a capacitor that what happened wouldnt have... is that right? i thought capacitors were only useful if you had a good enough electrical system anyways.. it just stores energy for when i need it but ugh idk its all to messed up. I told the guy i thought it was just like a band-aid and shouldnt i get like an extra battery or something, he said no just buy a capacitor.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS IS do i buy a extra battery or what? If i need a secondary battery what kind? how powerful? etc.... Also would i be fine with my current starting battery or should i also get a different/new battery there to in addition to the one i put in the trunk?

Thanks for the help. I need this ASAP because i can't play my subs until i figure this out :(

(if it helps its a 1999 volvo s70 with a 120amp alternator)

I see in your sig u have only listed equipment for a sub stage. So what im wondering is do you have another amp powering your front stage??

I see in your sig u have only listed equipment for a sub stage. So what im wondering is do you have another amp powering your front stage??

nope. right now i just have the stock speakers and they are running off the headunit. I had planned before to get a front stage and another amp but other things came up that i wanted. Such as, i just dropped like $700 on a snowboard and bindings and i still need new boots. So stuff like that just been getting in the way and im not doing competitions or anything so im not like in a rush to perfect this system...

ALL i got is amp (sundown 1200d), headunit (alpine 9886), substage (fi q), and the wiring.... thats it.

Also i just did some searching... what if i bought a powermaster D1200 and then maybe a redtop for my starting battery if i need it?

The battery you have under the hood roughly how old is it??

nope. right now i just have the stock speakers and they are running off the headunit. I had planned before to get a front stage and another amp but other things came up that i wanted. Such as, i just dropped like $700 on a snowboard and bindings and i still need new boots. So stuff like that just been getting in the way and im not doing competitions or anything so im not like in a rush to perfect this system...

ALL i got is amp (sundown 1200d), headunit (alpine 9886), substage (fi q), and the wiring.... thats it.

Also i just did some searching... what if i bought a powermaster D1200 and then maybe a redtop for my starting battery if i need it?

Yeah the more power you add the more power you will have for your amp. I would get the xs power d1200 first and once you get some more money go ahead and get a red top, considering your still dropping voltage wise.

What about the alternator?

Has it been tested?

i think u should do something basic first.. and it's free, Yay!! hehe.

When sitting at idle with stereo OFF, measure voltage at your starting battery.

Now measure voltage at the power\ground terminals on the amp.

Tell us what the voltage difference is.

X2

Good one!!!

Oh and repeat the process with the engine running at idle, then again at around 1800 rpm...

i have nothing to measure my voltage and also the alternator is fine. the battery is 3-5 yrs old. right now im going to get a battery for the trunk and maybe one later for the startup battery if i need it. anything else i shuld know?

Invest in a digital multimeter A.S.A.P.

These things are one of the most important install tools.

do this...

but something is not rite.

you need to go back over your wiring again b4 you go buyin more equipment. does the sub just stop or does the amp cut off/ go into protect?

only with 1200 watts, a 120a alt and big 3 you shouldnt be seein that big of a drop.

do this...

you need to go back over your wiring again b4 you go buyin more equipment. does the sub just stop or does the amp cut off/ go into protect?

only with 1200 watts, a 120a alt and big 3 you shouldnt be seein that big of a drop.

Agree with everything you said. 1200w on a 120a alt and a good battery should not be a big deal as long as they are both in good working order.

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

do this...

Agree with everything you said. 1200w on a 120a alt and a good battery should not be a big deal as long as they are both in good working order.

well i think my starting battery may have been bad. today i bought a new starting battery and put it in. it was a DieHard international. Its all i could find. Now my question is do i get another battery for the back or will i be fine if i go buy a 1 Farad Capacitor from the audio shop? Also going to invest in like a DMM or something. I like the stinger digital meter so i might buy one of those and do a custom little job to make it look decent.

do this...

Also i think it was the amp but idk. if i kept the volume on 10-11 ish it would be fine most of the time but every once in awhile cut out for like 5 seconds then come back on. If i run it at like 15+ it would cut off longer. I think its the amp. The audio shop said ive damaged my amp but idk if i have or not.

do this...

well i think my starting battery may have been bad. today i bought a new starting battery and put it in. it was a DieHard international. Its all i could find. Now my question is do i get another battery for the back or will i be fine if i go buy a 1 Farad Capacitor from the audio shop? Also going to invest in like a DMM or something. I like the stinger digital meter so i might buy one of those and do a custom little job to make it look decent.

your buyin equipment without really knowin what the problem is. it may not be your battery. and your thinkin about the wrong meter. were talkin about digital multimeter <---- this is what u need now

A Digital Multimeter And A Voltmeter Are Two Different Things. Lol.

How Did You Set Your Amp Up Without One, Anyway? (Or Correctly, I Should Say.)

A Digital Multimeter And A Voltmeter Are Two Different Things. Lol.

How Did You Set Your Amp Up Without One, Anyway? (Or Correctly, I Should Say.)

well i did not set it up... i had it installed at a shop.

right now here is where i am... ive taken the old starter battery and replaced it with a new one.

now im deciding what the problem is with the sub and what i should do.... capacitor? new secondary battery? new alternator? etc...

I would take it to somebody that know's more about car audio.watch how they do things..................

I would take it to somebody that know's more about car audio.watch how they do things..................

yeah i live in a little town called Hickory... there arnt many options.

yeah i live in a little town called Hickory... there arnt many options.

does the amp cut off or just the sub?

I Think I Know The Answer.

Check Your Grounds, Every One Of Them. (Battery And Alternator Too.)

Check The Terminals On Your Amp, Sub And Headunit.

There Is No Other Reason You Should Be Having This Problem, Unless The Amp Is Wired Or Set Up Incorrectly.

Edited by BigCProductions99

I Think I Know The Answer.

Check Your Grounds, Every One Of Them. (Battery And Alternator Too.)

Check The Terminals On Your Amp, Sub And Headunit.

There Is No Other Reason You Should Be Having This Problem, Unless The Amp Is Wired Or Set Up Incorrectly.

could it be that the amp is now damaged? thats what the shop said but idk.... ill check eeverything one of these next days when i get some time. thanks guys again.

It Very Well Could've Been, It Wouldn't Suprise Me That Much Being It Was Done By A Shop.

...Here's Another Thing That Just Popped In My Head, What Brand Of RCA's Are You Using? Because Some Don't Work Too Well On Sundown Amplifiers.

It Would Be A Good Idea If We Could See Some Pics Of Your Terminals (Wired) And Grounding Locations.

Edited by BigCProductions99

could it be the remote wire? i just checked all the amp connections and the remote was really loose. i took some pictures but just with my cell phone and ill upload them later cause i have to run.