Sign in to follow this  
MiracleofRealism

Sub options...size, brand...

Okay I have a new(to me) car, a 2001 saturn ls200. I want to get a system going but my 1 15RE SX isn't quite cutting it. So, should I get 1 18 or 2 15's. Either way, I'm leaning toward elemental designs 15/18 or FI SSD or Q for 15/18. I know it'll be a bit biased here but please be as objective as possible :D

Thanks

Okay I have a new(to me) car, a 2001 saturn ls200. I want to get a system going but my 1 15RE SX isn't quite cutting it. So, should I get 1 18 or 2 15's. Either way, I'm leaning toward elemental designs 15/18 or FI SSD or Q for 15/18. I know it'll be a bit biased here but please be as objective as possible :D

Thanks

EDIT. BTW I though about 2-18's but I don't think I have the volume of a trunk I need.

How is the SX not cutting it? Is it just not loud enough? What amp do you have on it?

Measure your trunk and see how much room you have to work with, then figure out what kind of budget you have to work with for subs/amp(s) wire etc. and go from there!

Thanks!

Nick

1 18 will be a tight fit and two 15s?? ur guna need 8 cubes I don't think you will fit it in their and still have room to move the air around the box effectively

your best bet is 2-12" subwoofers or 1-15" subwoofer, in my opinion. especially if you want to put them in the proper enclosure(do you want to go ported or sealed?)

Measure your trunk and see how much room you have to work with, then figure out what kind of budget you have to work with for subs/amp(s) wire etc. and go from there!

Thanks!

Nick

If you get this info we can all help better. :fing34:

How is the SX not cutting it? Is it just not loud enough? What amp do you have on it?

Well in my old car (1991 oldsmobile cutlass, stock alt, no big 3) it wasn't loud enough. My friend threw my 15 and my US acoustics 800watt amp in his car and it's at least 35% louder if not more. The amp is a POS though, I won't get into that though.

I will have to get you guys the measurements after work today. Just to throw a bit more in the mix, could I get away with 2 15's if I had something like the IA 187's? or as jay-cee said, stick with 2-12's or one fifteen?

Here is a link to the likes of my amp http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/US_Acoustics_USX800F/

Well in my old car (1991 oldsmobile cutlass, stock alt, no big 3) it wasn't loud enough. My friend threw my 15 and my US acoustics 800watt amp in his car and it's at least 35% louder if not more. The amp is a POS though, I won't get into that though.

I will have to get you guys the measurements after work today. Just to throw a bit more in the mix, could I get away with 2 15's if I had something like the IA 187's? or as jay-cee said, stick with 2-12's or one fifteen?

Here is a link to the likes of my amp http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/US_Acoustics_USX800F/

First off, you have a quality woofer. Put that in a properly designed ported enclosure to fit your vehicle and it should be more than enough. Do the big 3 to add to your stock electrical. Use a minimum of 4 gauge wire. Your amp is a well designed amp by a very reputable and well known engineer. Keep it! We can always suggest other products too. :drink40:

Btw, is your woofer dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Edited by OldSkool_08

First off, you have a quality woofer. Put that in a properly designed ported enclosure to fit your vehicle and it should be more than enough. Do the big 3 to add to your stock electrical. Use a minimum of 4 gauge wire. Your amp is a well designed amp by a very reputable and well known engineer. Keep it! We can always suggest other products too. :drink40:

Btw, is your woofer dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Dual 2ohm. I agree the amp is well built and handmade in the USA I believe, but something is wrong with it. It blows fuses often and when it does it blows 3 out of 4. The particular forth one that remains is always the same fuse, I have yet to blow that one. I am assuming there is a small electrical problem inside but I am not one to know how to fix it.

If you have 8 cubes or more do 2 15s. if you have more than 5 cu ft but less than 8 do one 18. If you have less stick to the 15 you have and get a better amp/build a better box.

If you can post the usable dimensions of your trunk, budget, system goals I'm sure you will get some more in depth answers.

Sign in to follow this