Sign in to follow this  
mikey5472

Mids and highs

So let's start at hearing about what you've heard that you actually like....

Honestly I don't know. I mean I have pioneer coaxials in every avalable place in my car. I don't like the way they sound. Alpines seem to whiney sounding. Other than that I haven't heard much.

you just told him to start asking questions instead of makin opinions and thats exactly what hes doing.

he's been asking questions the whole time.

all im saying is that things go a lot better and there's no problems as long as your not going off on people like you so rudely do on every post.

how should people learn if they dont start posts and ask questions. you act like you werent in any of their positions once. there was a time when you were just like everybody on this forum.

If by better you mean having an OP get all sorts of uneducated unvalidated responses then sweet you are right. Instead perhaps reading the forum guidelines and making a thread worthwhile for others to read might help. Like a crap ton.

Your post amuses me. Here is what actually happens. People ask this vs that questions. The ones who could help read it and go Ugh another stupid thread so they never open it again. Then a bunch of noob post whores answer and the perception is that the OP gets an answer. If you truly think that is better, you amuse me.

I didn't ask him to do anything that the forum guidelines that you both agreed to when you joined didn't spell out specifically. Follow them and you will get good answers, if you don't some idiot will respond with some garbage convincing you to do something stupid and those of us who would call him out won't read your thread since it started off so poorly in the first place. Sounds great. On top of that it ruins the forum as it makes it so no one can actually search for information.

If you can't formulate a thought and follow the rules DON'T make a thread. It is really simple.

Honestly I don't know. I mean I have pioneer coaxials in every avalable place in my car. I don't like the way they sound. Alpines seem to whiney sounding. Other than that I haven't heard much.

That's a start. Easy to beat that. Go listen to some stuff. Your ears will really help us narrow this down. If you don't you'll end up with a set of speakers that someone on here likes and not what you like.

*note* you don't have to just listen to car audio stuff ;)

That's a start. Easy to beat that. Go listen to some stuff. Your ears will really help us narrow this down. If you don't you'll end up with a set of speakers that someone on here likes and not what you like.

*note* you don't have to just listen to car audio stuff ;)

Btw way I have some MTX cabinets in my room. I love thir sound. They are some old ones, but they are clear as day, and sound pretty good.

Ok man, I just like to learn about what brands are and aren't good. Since my buddy iputon(kelsey) is being an arseho and I'm just trying to get answers,I figure I will just pm you about my situation.

It isn't about brands, it is about preferences. Every single brand has a different market presence and a different reality in EACh one of their series of drivers. You may like one and hate the next. With no background you will get NO help as it will subjective garbage that doesn't help you make a good decision.

Considering you like your MTX speakers actually knowing which model they were would really, really help. A link would even be better.

you just told him to start asking questions instead of makin opinions and thats exactly what hes doing.

he's been asking questions the whole time.

all im saying is that things go a lot better and there's no problems as long as your not going off on people like you so rudely do on every post.

how should people learn if they dont start posts and ask questions. you act like you werent in any of their positions once. there was a time when you were just like everybody on this forum.

If by better you mean having an OP get all sorts of uneducated unvalidated responses then sweet you are right. Instead perhaps reading the forum guidelines and making a thread worthwhile for others to read might help. Like a crap ton.

Your post amuses me. Here is what actually happens. People ask this vs that questions. The ones who could help read it and go Ugh another stupid thread so they never open it again. Then a bunch of noob post whores answer and the perception is that the OP gets an answer. If you truly think that is better, you amuse me.

I didn't ask him to do anything that the forum guidelines that you both agreed to when you joined didn't spell out specifically. Follow them and you will get good answers, if you don't some idiot will respond with some garbage convincing you to do something stupid and those of us who would call him out won't read your thread since it started off so poorly in the first place. Sounds great. On top of that it ruins the forum as it makes it so no one can actually search for information.

If you can't formulate a thought and follow the rules DON'T make a thread. It is really simple.

your exactly right. by all means call out the people that think they know what they are talkin about and set them straight but u really dont have to be rude to EVERYONE. and if your talkin about the more knowledgeable people on this forum reading ignorant posts and not replying because they are noob posts then why do you? and if you have such a problem with his post then why did u say anything? im jus sayin that you are probably one of the most knowledgeable on this forum and people would like your help and would like to come to the forum without bein talked to like they amount to nothing.

your exactly right. by all means call out the people that think they know what they are talkin about and set them straight but u really dont have to be rude to EVERYONE. and if your talkin about the more knowledgeable people on this forum reading ignorant posts and not replying because they are noob posts then why do you? and if you have such a problem with his post then why did u say anything? im jus sayin that you are probably one of the most knowledgeable on this forum and people would like your help and would like to come to the forum without bein talked to like they amount to nothing.

Super easy to make that happen. Follow the noob posting guidelines that you agreed to when you signed. Super easy.

Super easy to make that happen. Follow the noob posting guidelines that you agreed to when you signed. Super easy.

The easiest way to get this nipped in the bud is to make noobs stay in a noob type forum with a moderator to help them with posting and topic starting, lets be realistic people who sign stuff dont read the things they need to agree to especially for entering a forum (no maybe buying a house, car or etc. is different). Some people read some topics and threads and cant get the info they want for their application or really dont know how to start the topic considering they read about something they dont understand. So describing something you dont understand can be confusing, misunderstood and lead to wrong information. People dont eat, sleep and breath car audio like you do or some people on this forum so remember that (your car audio lingo can be different from theirs). Even though they dont follow the rules or dont do it the way you want it doesnt mean talk to them like their below you, respect everybody cause everyone can sound tough and talk to someone crazy over the internet. I feel as though some people on here wanna help anyway they can and if you dont then ignore someone if you feel their not meeting your level of help or they didnt ask you the way you wanted to be ask. People break rules and laws all day long, so what makes you think people are going to follow some forum rules when they want some quick info; punish them with a suspension or something?

I feel both of you guys, cause I dont care who you are (police or whatever, you not going to talk to me anyway unless I disrespected you first). But at the same time if someone wants something done a certain way then you have to follow their directions to get their attention or help (its easier ways to handle this than argue about it). Simple as that :drink40:

Ok I'm going to just go passive. It seems the easier way to go with my lack of experience with front stages. I will get whatever amp that will suit my needs. I'm not going to know what speakers I like unless I hear them, so I will just buy some that seem like a good buy. I don't want some alpine components, nothing like that. I want to do a DIY front stage. Just someone please give me some advice on some speakers. I will go with silk dome tweeters. I'm sorry that I don't know much about the front stage or which speakers are which. I will admit I am a noob at that. I will say I do ont think I am a noob at sub stage, I may not know as much as some, but for what I am doing I know enough. I did research on front stage and did not find what I wanted, that is why I posted the topic. So please no more bashing or whatever. Just please help me understand what active/passive is exactly. Just let me know what you run, the ups and downs of it and what you would recomend for my prefences. Again I listen to rap, classic rock,and heavy metal. I drive a 2000 GMC Jimmy, Substage is 1 18" Xcon, saz 1500d. H/u is a Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD. If you need any other info just let me know.

Ok so I think I have decided on Infinity kappa 60.9cs components and sundown sax100.2. That seems like a good place to start.

The Infinitys? Seriously?

How did you choose them?

Ok I'm going to just go passive. It seems the easier way to go with my lack of experience with front stages. I will get whatever amp that will suit my needs. I'm not going to know what speakers I like unless I hear them, so I will just buy some that seem like a good buy. I don't want some alpine components, nothing like that. I want to do a DIY front stage. Just someone please give me some advice on some speakers. I will go with silk dome tweeters. I'm sorry that I don't know much about the front stage or which speakers are which. I will admit I am a noob at that. I will say I do ont think I am a noob at sub stage, I may not know as much as some, but for what I am doing I know enough. I did research on front stage and did not find what I wanted, that is why I posted the topic. So please no more bashing or whatever. Just please help me understand what active/passive is exactly. Just let me know what you run, the ups and downs of it and what you would recomend for my prefences. Again I listen to rap, classic rock,and heavy metal. I drive a 2000 GMC Jimmy, Substage is 1 18" Xcon, saz 1500d. H/u is a Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD. If you need any other info just let me know.

Two Basic Definitions

Active

A word prefacing certain circuits in which the processing is performed by use of transistor or tube juctions, rather than passive componenets such as resistors, capacitors, and coils. Such items as crossovers and equalizers may be constructed either way. Active processing usually affords more more options, and greater precision, albeit at greater cost.

Passive Component

In a crossover system, a non-powered component used to separate an audio signal into a specified frequency band before it goes to a particular amplifier or driver. A passive device usually incurs some loss (expressed in decibels) to a system. Typical such components include capacitors, coils, and resistors.

Passives are your typical component speakers, they come with the band width and frequencies already set in the crossovers that come with them. Actives are crossovered at the head unit/amplifier/equalizer.

Ok so I think I have decided on Infinity kappa 60.9cs components and sundown sax100.2. That seems like a good place to start.

good choice on the amp for those 2ohm components. (if you change to a 4 ohm component set id recommend a 50.4)

how did you arrive at picking that set specifically? i would suggest you look into other components, maybe some searches and reviews that might steer you to a better set for the money (just to be safe).

how much did you find those speaker for?

Edited by lithium

good choice on the amp for those 2ohm components. (if you change to a 4 ohm component set id recommend a 50.4)

how did you arrive at picking that set specifically? i would suggest you look into other components, maybe some searches and reviews that might steer you to a better set for the money (just to be safe).

They were like 149. I was just looking around and read some decent reviews. I was also looking at the kicker qs or rs series. I don't know any non "name" brands, speaker wise anyway. That is why I made the topic, I figured maybe someone might post a few good brands. As you can see noone did. So I searched around a bit.

They were like 149. I was just looking around and read some decent reviews. I was also looking at the kicker qs or rs series. I don't know any non "name" brands, speaker wise anyway. That is why I made the topic, I figured maybe someone might post a few good brands. As you can see noone did. So I searched around a bit.

If you can snag the old Kicker SS series you may like them, they were replaced by the QS series.

I see you have ss series. Do you like them? Ups, Downs???

i liked my pg rsd 6.5 components, midbass was excellent for rock/metal while the midrange was not to bad. tweeters came off alittle to bright but its really install dependent. only about 70 or 80 shipped but if you have more budget headroom then im sure there are better options.

whats your budget for the speakers? assuming your getting the sundown 125.2/100.2 or 50.4 for about 200 bucks. (i assume your buying from db-r because you mentioned the 100.2 above, instead of 125.2, which is the new version.)

i liked my pg rsd 6.5 components, midbass was excellent for rock/metal while the midrange was not to bad. tweeters came off alittle to bright but its really install dependent. only about 70 or 80 shipped but if you have more budget headroom then im sure there are better options.

whats your budget for the speakers? assuming your getting the sundown 125.2/100.2 or 50.4 for about 200 bucks. (i assume your buying from db-r because you mentioned the 100.2 above, instead of 125.2, which is the new version.)

I would probably spend up to 300 on speakers. I was going to get the 100.4, also I figure if I can get the same amp yet refurbished with the same warrenty at a cheaper price I might aswell do it....

I see you have ss series. Do you like them? Ups, Downs???

They are great components, the mids could be better but they are very nice.

I would probably spend up to 300 on speakers. I was going to get the 100.4, also I figure if I can get the same amp yet refurbished with the same warrenty at a cheaper price I might aswell do it....

x2 on the amps, good choices there.

picking components is pretty tough, its so subjective... i feel, now that i went active, that i can beat any component set over like 250 bucks with diy drivers at half the price...

have you done any deadening in the doors yet? (sorry if i asked already)

Edited by lithium

No deadning yet. I'm waiting til I begin my wall before I buy any. I was wanting diy drivers in the beginning. I would still like to do it and possibly still go active. I don't know if it would be a good idea with my lack of experience though. Maybe if I was walked through it I would understand how. I searched for like an hour on how to, but never found what I was looking for. You know I was thinking about AA componets, They seemed like a decent choice, but I can't find models or anything anywhere on here, that would still leave me w/o a tweet though.

No deadning yet. I'm waiting til I begin my wall before I buy any. I was wanting diy drivers in the beginning. I would still like to do it and possibly still go active. I don't know if it would be a good idea with my lack of experience though. Maybe if I was walked through it I would understand how. I searched for like an hour on how to, but never found what I was looking for. You know I was thinking about AA componets, They seemed like a decent choice, but I can't find models or anything anywhere on here, that would still leave me w/o a tweet though.

AA sells a 7in carbon fiber mid, i almost went with it myself. you would then pick a tweeter to go along with it, i think a seas tweeter is recommended by most. mach 5 also has a very nice mid which would also be paired with a tweeter. AA is dealer based only so you would have to go through the dealer to get the speakers.

if you would really like to read up on setting up an active front stage i can find you some stuff to read on it.

ill find you something quickly before i go to bed here.

Thanks man. I appreciate all the help.

this is kinda ironic but ill post m5's build. great example of how to install. My link

hears some stuff on tuning

My link

some other good info

My link

time for sleep, hope this helps.

Ok Mdizzle5472 first if you want to go active is to get either an active headunit or a good equalizer. Cause the headunit you have only has a 3 band parametric eq.

heres is a couple of active headunits....

Alpine 9887

pioneer prs800

pioneer prs880

If money is no option and you have the patience and the know how active is great.