Iced2

Can a Q be built up to handle 2500watts?

The reason why i ask is i currently have 4 RE SE 15" running off of a T40001bd,, they sound great but im only hitting a 148.3 with them so since i want to brake into the 150's I want to get a second T40001bd and some stronger subs,, thing is i like the way these SE's sound so Im trying to get something strong but that can sound atleast as nice as these SE's..

The reason why i ask is i currently have 4 RE SE 15" running off of a T40001bd,, they sound great but im only hitting a 148.3 with them so since i want to brake into the 150's I want to get a second T40001bd and some stronger subs,, thing is i like the way these SE's sound so Im trying to get something strong but that can sound atleast as nice as these SE's..

I personally feel like you could be doing a 150 with your current setup, you just need to re-do your box first. What size enclosure and tuning do you have for those subs?

Wow a 2500rms Q, haha now thats hilarious.

Realllly bad idea.

You don't buy a car and drive it around in 1st gear down the interstate bouncing off of the rev limiter...and then take it back to the dealership and say "It just broke" when it flies apart like a 2 dollar watch...do you?

;)

Ya man, don't do it. Either go with a sub capable of handling more power, or do two subs on that power.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

That kind of power, BTL is your best option.

Realllly bad idea.

You don't buy a car and drive it around in 1st gear down the interstate bouncing off of the rev limiter...and then take it back to the dealership and say "It just broke" when it flies apart like a 2 dollar watch...do you?

;)

Sorry i just really dont see what you mean. fact is i dont know much about how is a sub is built so thats why i asked, if it cant be done then cool I'll move on to an other plan. i would say its more like asking the dealer what can be done with the car before i drive it off the lot. Personally to me it wouldnt matter what sub it is thats why i worte what im trying to get which is a nice soundsing sub that can take 2500 watts.

I personally feel like you could be doing a 150 with your current setup, you just need to re-do your box first. What size enclosure and tuning do you have for those subs?

The set-up right now is 14sq tuned to about 35 hz. , Just in case your wondering what its all in heres a link

http://www.****/board/index.php?showtopic=41835&st=0&p=592103entry592103

Edited by Iced2

Realllly bad idea.

;)

Sorry i just really dont see what you mean. fact is i dont know much about how is a sub is built so thats why i asked, if it cant be done then cool I'll move on to an other plan. i would say its more like asking the dealer what can be done with the car before i drive it off the lot. Personally to me it wouldnt matter what sub it is thats why i worte what im trying to get which is a nice soundsing sub that can take 2500 watts.

I would trust in what he says, it is his hands that are building and designing a part of what come out of Fi. I think what you are missing is that putting that much power to a sub, pure sound quality is really not a focus or much of any option. A BTL can sound clean, but that is all about the enclosure and the amp settings.

Here's what you do.

Keep your SEs and build one box for competing and one box for daily. The competition box will have a tuning frequency above 35 hz, the daily driver will have one at 35 or less. If you tune to even 40 hz it should be pretty easy to get 150 with that setup.

The end.

Realllly bad idea.

;)

Ask yourself this...do you need to run that much power or is there any reason that you should need to run that much power? Or should you probably follow what is suggested and recommended...so let's look at a scenario.

You purchase a car..from a dealer. They assume the following: A) You can read as you probably read the gas mileage, warranty information, etc. B) They do not care if you can read or not...you signed and/or clicked the "I agree to the terms and conditions" without even reading them..so if you do manage to break it it is your fault because you did not read the warranty that you signed away that you read. If you do blow the car up the manufacturer/dealer is completely off the hook due to your signature.

You purchased a car to go 70mph on the interstate in 5th gear to cruise daily for 300,000 miles..because it should be known that is why there is a 5th gear to travel at that speed.

Or you can buy the very same car, attempt to take it 70mph on the interstate in 1st gear at 6500rpm depending on gearing of course..and you might make it 3 miles before the engine grenades. The dealer did not say that you couldn't do that..but it is recommended that you do not. Resulting in the 'abuse' clause in the warranty..because you abused it. Any idiot knows that you can't drive down the interstate in 1st gear and expect a car to last...speakers being mechanical devices are simply no different then the car.

Case in point..you don't need that kind of power. Nor should you run a car in 1st gear down the interstate...if you want it to last anyhow.

I've done 48's with a single SE 12.... you have box design issues...

You don't need that much woofer or that much power to do 150

I've done 48's with a single SE 12.... you have box design issues...

You don't need that much woofer or that much power to do 150

As in 148 decibels with a single re se?................ spl magic powder?

LOL

SQ and 2500wrms, that might be the funniest thing I have ever read on a forum. I'd love to hear your proposed front stage.

Realllly bad idea.

;)

Ask yourself this...do you need to run that much power or is there any reason that you should need to run that much power? Or should you probably follow what is suggested and recommended...so let's look at a scenario.

You purchase a car..from a dealer. They assume the following: A) You can read as you probably read the gas mileage, warranty information, etc. B) They do not care if you can read or not...you signed and/or clicked the "I agree to the terms and conditions" without even reading them..so if you do manage to break it it is your fault because you did not read the warranty that you signed away that you read. If you do blow the car up the manufacturer/dealer is completely off the hook due to your signature.

You purchased a car to go 70mph on the interstate in 5th gear to cruise daily for 300,000 miles..because it should be known that is why there is a 5th gear to travel at that speed.

Or you can buy the very same car, attempt to take it 70mph on the interstate in 1st gear at 6500rpm depending on gearing of course..and you might make it 3 miles before the engine grenades. The dealer did not say that you couldn't do that..but it is recommended that you do not. Resulting in the 'abuse' clause in the warranty..because you abused it. Any idiot knows that you can't drive down the interstate in 1st gear and expect a car to last...speakers being mechanical devices are simply no different then the car.

Case in point..you don't need that kind of power. Nor should you run a car in 1st gear down the interstate...if you want it to last anyhow.

WOW Alright this Topic is getting a little out of hand, just to clear it up I was asking if a Q can be BUILT to handle that kind of power like a Quad coil deal , thats it

really never said anything out just running one off the self. Now that i see it cant then cool I'll look into other options its no big deal .

Here's what you do.

Keep your SEs and build one box for competing and one box for daily. The competition box will have a tuning frequency above 35 hz, the daily driver will have one at 35 or less. If you tune to even 40 hz it should be pretty easy to get 150 with that setup.

The end.

Thats not really what i want for my truck ,, I like it tuned down low

LOL

SQ and 2500wrms, that might be the funniest thing I have ever read on a forum. I'd love to hear your proposed front stage.

Its not an all out SQ set-up I know my truck isnt going to win any SQ comp.. I just want a good sounding sub that will take alot of power . and its 8 JBL GTi C608GTi Two sets in each door running off 2 JBL 4 channel 600watts

Don't buy a Q, it really isn't for you. A BTL can sound more than good enough for what you need and take a lot of power.

The set-up right now is 14sq tuned to about 35 hz. , Just in case your wondering what its all in heres a link

I guess the site didnt like links from other forums so i copied my build on to here

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31778-08-dodge-ram-2500-mega-diesel/page__gopid__559138entry559138

Realllly bad idea.

;)

WOW Alright this Topic is getting a little out of hand, just to clear it up I was asking if a Q can be BUILT to handle that kind of power like a Quad coil deal , thats it

really never said anything out just running one off the self. Now that i see it cant then cool I'll look into other options its no big deal .

Which is why I explained the scenario more in depth..and why it can not be done because it isn't designed to do that.

If you only need to run 1000 watts..1200 at most...why do you feel the need to run more power? If you feel the need to run gobs of power a Q is not for you...which has been said.

Speakers (specifically subwoofers) are at most 1% efficient in converting watts electric into watts acoustic..so the other 99% of the energy that you are putting into that coil is burned off as you guessed it..heat. Which is why cooling technology is so important.

But all the cooling and machining inside of the motor can only do so much to keep the coil from failing thermally..

Here's what you do.

The end.

I don't think you understood my post. Build two different boxes, or else use interchangeable ports. That way you can tune it higher for comps, then back down low for everyday driving.

Here's what you do.

The end.

I don't think you understood my post. Build two different boxes, or else use interchangeable ports. That way you can tune it higher for comps, then back down low for everyday driving.

I know what your saying but I want to hit 150 tuned down to blow 35 hz, Im even hoping when i up the power i can hit 150's tuned even lower, I built the truck for music

so to me thats where i have fun with it. Ive seen the trucks at the shows hit 150 ,155 at like 52hz but its just not the same.

Realllly bad idea.

;)

Which is why I explained the scenario more in depth..and why it can not be done because it isn't designed to do that.

If you only need to run 1000 watts..1200 at most...why do you feel the need to run more power? If you feel the need to run gobs of power a Q is not for you...which has been said.

Speakers (specifically subwoofers) are at most 1% efficient in converting watts electric into watts acoustic..so the other 99% of the energy that you are putting into that coil is burned off as you guessed it..heat. Which is why cooling technology is so important.

But all the cooling and machining inside of the motor can only do so much to keep the coil from failing thermally..

Like i said ,, It cant be done which is cool no big deal I'll move on to somthing else its all good...

I guess the site didnt like links from other forums so i copied my build on to here

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31778-08-dodge-ram-2500-mega-diesel/page__gopid__559138entry559138

It does, just some sites are not getting any traffic from here, especially when this is a much better site as it is. ;)