Sign in to follow this  
regularjoe

New SAX 50.4 Smell?

I just got around to starting the install of my 50.4 I am still waiting on some parts to complete it. When I took it out of the box it has been sitting in I noticed a burnt wire smell. It seems stronger on the side where the crossovers are. Is this just because it is new and closed up in the box and fresh soder? It shows it was tested before packaged and I know Jacob said he tests them all. It is new never installed bought at SSA so I'm not worried about warrenty issues. I am just wondering if I am a little paranoid. I won't have everything for it unitl the end of the week so that will be the earliest I will know anything.

Just so this dont get misunderstood I do NOT think sundown sent me a bad amp. I dont even have it hooked up to know for sure if there is smothing wrong. I am not here to bash them. I belive in their products and am placing another order this week to finish the build. I am just wondering if this is normal or what it could be.

Edited by regularjoe

Just to add I have yet to put power to this amp I have mounted it but it is ot completly installed. I guess I should have put that in first post.

i cant remember what it is called but what you are smelling is more than likely a spray that gets sprayed inside of the amps when they are completed. There are 2 different scents that is commonly used. One is the smell you are probably smelling and the other is like a new fresh smell.

It's just a fresh amp smell :D Enjoy your product ;)

I love those fresh smells :)

On everything new!!!

Enjoy your amp : my 50.4 is doing well on my comp set! I have it in my car for a week now!!!

It is a lot more power than my speakers need, so I have a lot of headroom, as they say!

I think my Focal 165KP love this amp. I don't know how to say it but they seem to express themselves with more ease!

So, you will enjoy yours!! :)

I have 2 50.4s waiting for my 3000D to come in so they'll have a big brother to be installed with lol..

then he'll get a twin brother when funds allow...

woop!

You could just hook it up and see if there's something wrong. All the amps have that electronic smell. They're made and then packaged in plastic bags which hold that smell in. That's why it's so strong.

It will go away as you run the amp. But as Derrick824 said, hook it up to make sure their is nothing wrong with it. All Sundown amps are tested before being shipped out.

It will go away as you run the amp. But as Derrick824 said, hook it up to make sure their is nothing wrong with it. All Sundown amps are tested before being shipped out.

I cant hook it up for a little while. i am waiting on my gmos 1 and the ground wire. I was just wanting to know if it was common. Thanks for all the replys everyone. Il post pics of the whole build when complete.

Sign in to follow this