Kickin Kia

My new box

Hey guys! Well, I finally built a box on my own. it is not pretty, but then pretty doesn't always add db's. It is 4.13 cubes before displacement and 3. something after displacement. I still have a lot to do inside the box, but it did quite well without any improvements done to it yet. In initial testing, I was able to do 149.19db and at the show I did 149.2. I could probably do better with fully charged batteries. Not too bad for a small box. I have some pics. Tell me what you think.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

sweet design! lol!!

and pardon my ignorance are those 2 15's or 2 12's? and how big is that port 10inch llol!!!

i assume 12's b/c of the box being about 3cubics after displacement.

Edited by CrazyKenKid

u need more port area or more power if u wanna keep increasing.

if those are 15s, you should experiment with about 120-250sqin of square port or 75-150sqin for Aeros.

if they are 15's shouldn't he have like double the cubic volume?

sweet design! lol!!

and pardon my ignorance are those 2 15's or 2 12's? and how big is that port 10inch llol!!!

i assume 12's b/c of the box being about 3cubics after displacement.

Actually, it is 2 15's. This is a crx style box, except built bigger for 15's. The port is 8 inch, with a flare of over 10 inches. The box is tuned at 49 hz and peaks so far at 55hz.. I am thinking about taking the front sub out and putting another front piece to cover the hole and see how it does just with one 15.

Edited by Kickin Kia

how big was your last box, NET?

If you take a 15 out, multiple things will happen if your score changes....

If your score goes up or down, it's because of-

Larger NET volume per sub

Port velocity will decrease

Port tuning will drop by about 2 hz

Sub's phasing may change

Take these into account when your score changes and see what made it change.

how big was your last box, NET?

If you take a 15 out, multiple things will happen if your score changes....

If your score goes up or down, it's because of-

Larger NET volume per sub

Port velocity will decrease

Port tuning will drop by about 2 hz

Sub's phasing may change

Take these into account when your score changes and see what made it change.

I definitely will.

That's got to be one of the most original designs I've seen in awhile, but I like it.... For your first attempt it looks pretty decent actually, it wouldn't take much to finish it out to look as good as it seems to be working if ur getting 149 on a TL...... if that was on an AC it's still not shabby...... Everything is a trade off, best thing you can do is experiment and see what helps and what hurts but definitely you'll need to increase port or box size, the single 15 is a good idea as well, could help point you in the direction you need to go....

hey your over hear too, thats cool, this is where i usually hang out at....... like i said , nice looking design.

chop

if those are 15s, you should experiment with about 120-250sqin of square port or 75-150sqin for Aeros.

I bought a 4 ft concrete cylinder at Lowe's I am thinking about doing some experimenting with it to see what I can get out of it. Some people call them sonotubes or something of that nature.

That's got to be one of the most original designs I've seen in awhile, but I like it.... For your first attempt it looks pretty decent actually, it wouldn't take much to finish it out to look as good as it seems to be working if ur getting 149 on a TL...... if that was on an AC it's still not shabby...... Everything is a trade off, best thing you can do is experiment and see what helps and what hurts but definitely you'll need to increase port or box size, the single 15 is a good idea as well, could help point you in the direction you need to go....

My buddy Yoda got the design off of term-pro from Yuli, aka Tinted. except his design was for twelves. Yoda uses autocad at his work and actually made blueprints for my 15's The 149.2 was sealed and on the termlab.

I bought a 4 ft concrete cylinder at Lowe's I am thinking about doing some experimenting with it to see what I can get out of it. Some people call them sonotubes or something of that nature.

glass that sonotube...... :fing34:

We had a show this past weekend. I noticed that the rubber gasket kept blowing out and that some of the screws were actually loose on the top subwoofer. I took the rubber gasket off and tightened the screws and then I taped the top of the basket to get a good seal. I ended up doing a 149.6 on the Term-Lab sealed on the dash. I need 4 tenths to get that 150 sealed. I am open to any and all suggestions. I want to do this with my cuurent setup.

Put some duct tape over around the subwoofers outer frame like Jacob did, he said that helped him out on the meter.

Put some duct tape over around the subwoofers outer frame like Jacob did, he said that helped him out on the meter.

I did do that.

are these spl boxes? cuz that thing is damn ugly

Well he did say it's tuned to 49 hz and is talking about SPL scores, so.....

Have you tried facing the port to the rear?

im asking in general. are these ports specific for spl. i mean do people really drive around with that thing in there truck. looking like a christmas present out of how the grinch stole christmas

im asking in general. are these ports specific for spl. i mean do people really drive around with that thing in there truck. looking like a christmas present out of how the grinch stole christmas

What's wrong with the port? All it is is a big areo port.

And why do you care how it looks? Is it going in your whip?

And your supposed to capitalize Christmas.

no, port area is port area.

You can use 25sqin of port per cube instead of 16 for daily if u want too.. it's just not necessary.

Since the meter can read changes in pressure down to 0.01db, it's necessary.

For those who compete a lot, we can distinguish changes with our own ears by about 2db, that's a huge difference.

Since larger ports may increase spl, it may not do it enough for our ears to notice a difference so it's not used for daily use.

are these spl boxes? cuz that thing is damn ugly

Well he did say it's tuned to 49 hz and is talking about SPL scores, so.....

Have you tried facing the port to the rear?

Yes, I tried that and it went down 1 db to 148.6