Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Clinton

Folded Horn v. Snail Shell v. Transmission Line

I have done my reading but I still do not know enough,

I want to learn how to design them and the strengths and weakness of each.

I hope to design and build one of these for an RL-i 8

Folded horns are vastly easier to build than a mass-loaded T-line, as no accurate modeling or equations are availible. Every good t-line out there has been built, re-built, and tweaked with the stuffing and line length to get it in top notch shape. They're tricky little beasts.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org would be a good place to look.

Also, DIYAudio's Full Range forum (where I'm still a newbie, heh) will be very helpful to you: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=51

:greddy2:

I think I might start playing around with them. Very tedious to design from what I understand. My kind of project. :huh::fing34:

After seeing that 10 biggest lies in car audio thread, I'd think you were mentally exhausted not proving your point, Effendi. =p

To answer the thread, you will probably need about 8-12 cubes NET for a folded horn enclosure for an 8 inch driver, so you don't have a choice as to which you would put in a car. Observe:

impsm.jpg

imperial1.jpg

impsub.jpg

well I have an explorer and it would be funny to build a box that went form the B pillar back

Look into Decware's web site. They have a lot of nice horn enclosures designed for car audio. While the output compared to a normal folded horn sucks ass, they appearantly can still kill bandpass enclosures, and have taken home a few trophies in the process.

www.decware.com

wonder how the RL-i 8 will react in that type of enclosure

I found my copy of a 1936 article about building an "exponential" horn for a single 8 inch driver. I'll scan it tonight and upload the pages.

I found my copy of a 1936 article about building an "exponential" horn for a single 8 inch driver. I'll scan it tonight and upload the pages.

nice :rockwoot:

To answer the thread, you will probably need about 8-12 cubes NET for a folded horn enclosure for an 8 inch driver, so you don't have a choice as to which you would put in a car.

I would :D

I'm thinking what a 12-15 driver in such a horn would do in my vehicle off a kW...and it scares me.

But it's something to think about for the future :)

hey denim if u plan on doing a t-line box u need 2 make sure that your sub has a low q and a low fs

The smallest in my findings would be the Wicked One by Decware. The absolute smallest would be 6 cubes gross, ideally 9 cubes gross. Like I said, it won't hold a candle to a full size 28 cube folded horn, but it will kill most ported / bandpass enclosures.

The smallest in my findings would be the Wicked One by Decware. The absolute smallest would be 6 cubes gross, ideally 9 cubes gross. Like I said, it won't hold a candle to a full size 28 cube folded horn, but it will kill most ported / bandpass enclosures.

how bout 1-15 8ft gross horn vs. 2-15 6ft net @ 30Hz ported?

Probably not. The Wicked one is at best 9 cubes for two tens. A 15 in 8 cubes would be like trying to port a 15 with less than 2 cubes net.

I'm not a fan of that low end rolloff...looks like a much better PA box than hi fi.

Ahhhhhhh Yes but did you see where it Peeks ???

31 to 119Hz

my ford Explorer does best between 52&55Hz... perfect....

im thinking of trying the single sub thing... and in my Suv that thing would be a wall

x1_1.jpg

Edited by Lord Baccus