Sign in to follow this  
emfk

Looking for subs for truck

I just got a single cab 98 ford ranger and plan on doing a build soon with 2 12's or possibly 2 10's. Still need to go out and plan out the box.

Before I do that though, I of course need to decide on the subwoofers.

So far, my best bet for the money is 2 kicker compvt's.

I'm looking for suggestions for a cheaper shallow mount that will still sound good. I've dealt with kicker before, and if I could avoid it for the same amount of money, I'd love to.

I want to go low. Hopefully tuning to 34 or so. And if I have to, I'm completely willing to go with one 12. Best bass i've ever had was in the back of my 90 lumina. I had a knock off 15" spl sub in a sealed box. It wasn't that great, but it was pretty powerful. Although I'm sure I'll be impressed with the subs right behind me in the right box, I'm still looking to flex with the limited space.

My budget is going to be around $500 max after all expenses (box, subs, amp, wiring)

Now if the compvt is actually a good woofer and I'm blasting it and being biased, please let me know. And any box recommendations/tips are greatly appreciated. This will be my first.

Thanks =)

you should check out shallow mount subs or maybe someone who can build you a custom box for higher dbs

you should check out shallow mount subs or maybe someone who can build you a custom box for higher dbs

Reading would help, he said he's looking at shallow mount subs and yes a custom box is the best instead of those prefab boxes.

Reading would help, he said he's looking at shallow mount subs and yes a custom box is the best instead of those prefab boxes.

Sorry, should of made that more clear. I plan on building my own box. No way will I go with another prefab. Made that mistake too many times.

the kicker vt's sound horrible.... I've put them in a couple of trucks and they just don't do it for me. but that's a personal opinion and not a fact....

the kicker vt's sound horrible.... I've put them in a couple of trucks and they just don't do it for me. but that's a personal opinion and not a fact....

What would you recommend? I'm working minimum wage and still paying off the truck, so I'm not looking for anything ridiculously expensive. But any opinions are nice. I'd rather spend more money over time for a better sub than cheap out and be disappointed.

This might be +$200 out of your budget and too much space but here goes.

2 Eclipse SW8200 12"s (displacement .12, f/s 16-19hz, 670W RMS, $200 each, LMS motor, 38mm x-max)

sealed & upfire 1.25-1.75 cubes each between the seat ($50-100 for box)

1500w @ 2-ohm amp (maybe $200 on ebay)

total $650-$700 + wiring & install

They sound good and get lower than anything I've played with. They're about $200 each online, they're discontinued so I'm pretty sure you can't get recones. Eclipse tech says use 1.75 cubes for a 30hz tune, they're bottom heavy.

I've listened to a ported upfire 12 between a single cab seat and it was horrible, it was an Alpine Type-X in an Alpine box on a JL 1000/1. In an S10 extended cab, behind the seats, 2 wallmart 10's or 12's in a small triangle sealed box on a JL 500/1 was better. I've also heard in a single cab a sealed 10" between the seat and it wasn't bad.

If not 2 12's, then use 1 12" ported @ 30hz on maybe 1000w. Even two ported 8's in 2 cubes would be sweet.

This isn't my picture but it was cool so I saved it.

7626_180932910785_600705785_4362109_2420716_n.jpg

I just got a single cab 98 ford ranger and plan on doing a build soon with 2 12's or possibly 2 10's. Still need to go out and plan out the box.

I'm looking for suggestions for a cheaper shallow mount that will still sound good. I've dealt with kicker before, and if I could avoid it for the same amount of money, I'd love to.

I want to go low. Hopefully tuning to 34 or so. And if I have to, I'm completely willing to go with one 12. Best bass i've ever had was in the back of my 90 lumina. I had a knock off 15" spl sub in a sealed box. It wasn't that great, but it was pretty powerful. Although I'm sure I'll be impressed with the subs right behind me in the right box, I'm still looking to flex with the limited space.

My budget is going to be around $500 max after all expenses (box, subs, amp, wiring)

Now if the compvt is actually a good woofer and I'm blasting it and being biased, please let me know. And any box recommendations/tips are greatly appreciated. This will be my first.

Thanks =)

I just asked for recommendations on a "good" shallow sub the other day. I got some good feedback you may find helpful. Not exactly the same goal, but there aren't many options out there.

GL!

This might be +$200 out of your budget and too much space but here goes.

2 Eclipse SW8200 12"s (displacement .12, f/s 16-19hz, 670W RMS, $200 each, LMS motor, 38mm x-max)

sealed & upfire 1.25-1.75 cubes each between the seat ($50-100 for box)

1500w @ 2-ohm amp (maybe $200 on ebay)

total $650-$700 + wiring & install

They sound good and get lower than anything I've played with. They're about $200 each online, they're discontinued so I'm pretty sure you can't get recones. Eclipse tech says use 1.75 cubes for a 30hz tune, they're bottom heavy.

I've listened to a ported upfire 12 between a single cab seat and it was horrible, it was an Alpine Type-X in an Alpine box on a JL 1000/1. In an S10 extended cab, behind the seats, 2 wallmart 10's or 12's in a small triangle sealed box on a JL 500/1 was better. I've also heard in a single cab a sealed 10" between the seat and it wasn't bad.

If not 2 12's, then use 1 12" ported @ 30hz on maybe 1000w. Even two ported 8's in 2 cubes would be sweet.

This isn't my picture but it was cool so I saved it.

7626_180932910785_600705785_4362109_2420716_n.jpg

Thanks =)

I just asked for recommendations on a "good" shallow sub the other day. I got some good feedback you may find helpful. Not exactly the same goal, but there aren't many options out there.

GL!

I looked into the eclipse, but I don't think it'll fit. Wish it would.

I'm starting to consider just 1 12 or maybe even 2 8's. I've never heard 8's, so that would be interesting.

Also, I looked at your post, and started looking into the soundstream stealth. Found one online for about $165, so that also might be a good bet.

Thanks!

How do you guys feel about the REX8D4?

Seems like i'd be able to fit two behind the seats with good space to spare.

How do you guys feel about the REX8D4?

Seems like i'd be able to fit two behind the seats with good space to spare.

If you want to try some 8"s, take a look into the new Sundown X8"s. They are on pre-sale right now for a great price, And they look to be pretty nice so far.

check out tang band 8s on parts express

and dayton hf

whats your mounting depth?

Edited by lithium

where my seats are i'm looking at about 4 1/2", before the box, but i need to do more measuring so don't quote me on that. I checked out some of the tang bands, and the sundown. they both look pretty nice. I've always wanted to try out sundown.

the sundown looks like a biggg asss sub so it most likely wont work for you if your looking to fit it behind a seat... can you do a center console box?

No, I wish. That would make my options a lot more versatile. I'm not even sure if most of the 8's i've been looking at will fit. I really need to go final measurements. It's dark and raining right now though.

yep gona need some numbers first. ill throw out another option anyways, there are some E8s for saie in the "for sale" section.

tang band also has some 6.5 inch subs. maybe if you did like 4 of them, ported, they would be enough for you tastes. 3-5/8" mounting depth, you could stick them practically anywhere haha.

reread your other posts, i doubt anything listed so far will do any flexing haha.

Edited by lithium

I'll look into those e8's. And yea lol, i figure I won't be able to get much flex with my single cab truck and 2 8's. I'll definitely live though. As long as I can hit clean lows, with decent volume, I'm fine. Anything I end up doing will probably be better than what I've had, easy. Once I get numbers, I'll post them.

I don't know If i'd want to do 6.5"s though. I think 8 is as low as I plan on going. I've been looking more into the rex8's and they seem to have some decent low end for $50 shipped on ebay.

I'll look into those e8's. And yea lol, i figure I won't be able to get much flex with my single cab truck and 2 8's. I'll definitely live though. As long as I can hit clean lows, with decent volume, I'm fine. Anything I end up doing will probably be better than what I've had, easy. Once I get numbers, I'll post them.

I don't know If i'd want to do 6.5"s though. I think 8 is as low as I plan on going. I've been looking more into the rex8's and they seem to have some decent low end for $50 shipped on ebay.

Yeah your best bet might be some 8"s if your trying to hit the lows, dont know to many 6.5" speakers that will cover the frequency range under 40Hz. Just my .02

Alright, I went out took some primitive measurements and I have about 7" deep, 46" length give or take and about 20" high. Not Exact measurements, but as close as I can get at the time of night

Yeah your best bet might be some 8"s if your trying to hit the lows, dont know to many 6.5" speakers that will cover the frequency range under 40Hz. Just my .02

the RE's are probably worth a try for that price. you can find a pair for about 90 shipped on ebay sometimes. assuming you can make them fit...

the RE's are probably worth a try for that price. you can find a pair for about 90 shipped on ebay sometimes. assuming you can make them fit...

I'm pretty confident I could make them fit with some wiggling. If anything, adjust the seats. My passengers sit farther back than me, so if I scooted that up, it would help a lot. I can't seem to find out the range though. Haven't found the specs anywhere. Anyone know off hand how low they'll hit? They recommend I tune .5@35hz ported. The lowest music I plan on hitting is stuff like Young Jezzy- White girl, and Put on. As long as I can go that low and stay healthy with a decent amount of flex, I'm set.

Alright, I went out took some primitive measurements and I have about 7" deep, 46" length give or take and about 20" high. Not Exact measurements, but as close as I can get at the time of night

guess your good for most 8" subs, idk about the e8s or the sa8. but the others are good (TB, dayton, RE).

(just for example) depth of the box could be like 6.5 depth and put a grill over the sub or do 7 deep and recess the sub.

I'm pretty confident I could make them fit with some wiggling. If anything, adjust the seats. My passengers sit farther back than me, so if I scooted that up, it would help a lot. I can't seem to find out the range though. Haven't found the specs anywhere. Anyone know off hand how low they'll hit? They recommend I tune .5@35hz ported. The lowest music I plan on hitting is stuff like Young Jezzy- White girl, and Put on. As long as I can go that low and stay healthy with a decent amount of flex, I'm set.

guess you'll find out haha

That's honestly my next obstacle. The box itself. I've never built a box before in my life. Let alone understood how to recess a sub. Any tips or tutorials that will treat me like a child until I learn? =)

If you're concentrating on lows, a $200 Eclipse SW8200 in 1.75 cubes will whoop 2 ported 8's on the lows, it's got a little more cone & power if the 8 is 300w RMS, over double the x-max too. Soundsplinter recommends .4 cubes for their 300-500w rms Rl-i 8", and it's $120ish. I think you can fit 1.75 cubes if you tear out the middle of the seat ;). 750W-1000W would be sweet. You could make the baffle +4" and have the woofer firing into the back wall, hidden. You'll have an arm rest atleast.