So I went to a local car audio shop today to see if I could use their DMM. I wanted to get voltage and amp readings to see what my amp was really doing. Of course, first thing he has to be a funny guy and ask me if i need new subs because I replaced the ones I bought from him with a BTL. He lets me use his occilloscope and I take my first reading with car off at batt.

15.5 VOLTS!!! Uh...Wtf? So then Im scared to even start the truck and see what it says then. 18.3 VOLTS!!! SHIT!!!

Jumped in under the hood and turned the external voltage regulator set screw all the way down on the alt. This screw was never adjusted by me at all before, mind you. I installed the alt and left the voltage regulator as it was. The voltage looked normal on the dummy dash gauge before and after install so I thought it was at normal voltage or just a touch higher.

Retesting resting voltage at batt. 15.5 volts. Started the truck. 16 VOLTS!!! WTF? Same at the amp. Checked dummy dash gauge and stinger voltmeter which both showed decrease in voltage. But they show about the same at idle which is 12.6-12.7. Which is exactly 2 volts less than before.

Holy shit! I hope nothing got fnucked up! I havent been driving it much at all and I havent noticed anything unusual with the electrical system. Aw man, this is all bad. I went in looking to see what my amp would do and came out with this huge voltage problem!

Is this voltage going to be ok now that it is all the way down? Its still at like 15.5-16 volts at idle and Im not sure if its too much still? What do you guys think? And why did my dummy gauge not show 18 volts after install?

But on the other side I guess that amp can handle high voltage!

Edited by bigrank916

If by float you mean resting voltage with the car and everything in it completely off. Im not too familiar with the term float, sorry. Its was at about 15 volts though. I dont know now because I dont have a meter. Trying to get a neighbor down the street to come over with his clamp meter.

Edited by bigrank916

lol for a kicks you should ask him what he THINKS you should replace that woofer with....on another note, I wish I had your voltage problem, but who built your alternator? and yeh that equipment can handle the high voltage, hell at 15 volts are you probably getting 2kw out of that amp!

and u call that a problem....some would "kill" for that voltage :drink40:

btw. pics or it didnt happppppen

Edited by Tyan

lol for a kicks you should ask him what he THINKS you should replace that woofer with....on another note, I wish I had your voltage problem, but who built your alternator? and yeh that equipment can handle the high voltage, hell at 15 volts are you probably getting 2kw out of that amp!

This guys is totally into SQ. So far as to say, spl is annoying and I probably cant get very good SQ in my truck anyway if I tried because it "sucks" based on the year. But I needed that meter and Im in control of my emotions, so its like "say what ever you want and give me that meter." Hes usually an Ok guy but this BTL thing bent him the wrong way I think.

The alt is in my sig and its BNIB by Mechman. Its the Rhino series 250 amp/ 125 amp idle.

Ya I surely hope I was getting 2k out of that. I would have thought the Hifonics would smoke at 16-18 volts! Come to think of it, the sub is loud as hell but it doesnt move as much as I see on these videos of other peoples. I wonder how loud this is gonna get!

Edited by bigrank916

and u call that a problem....some would "kill" for that voltage :drink40:

btw. pics or it didnt happppppen

I know. I always wondered how it would be to have a high voltage system! I think I just got a peek!

I was thinking about the pics as soon as I pulled in the parking lot at the shop. I was so ripped leaving the house I barely remembered my wallet. Now after seeing all that, I really wish i had some pics! Damn!

i assume you DON"T have another battery in your setup other then the front battery right? and what is your front battery? if it is an AGM i know it is bad to charge those at higher then 14.5-14.7 volts and if it is RESTING at above 15 you might have hurt or SHORTENED the life of your battery depending on what it is of course! but nice voltage all the same but a little high for my likings! loL!

and most definitely look into buying a DMM for yourself to have on hand!

and you mentioned you have a stinger volt meter? when you got it did you calibrate it at all? i know when i got mine my voltage was out by a good 1.5 volts!!

if you remove the cover plate there is a little screw there!! if i was you i would set the stinger volt meter to match a dmm reading. do it once at normal condition(music volume at low) then again with your music up loud and what not!! Just to get the most accurate reading!

Edited by CrazyKenKid

wow

did i ever tell you i love your avatar? lol! the king knocking off the ronald!! awesome!!!

Try a different O-Scope. If both the idiot gauge and the stinger are showing 12v.. I'd say the scope you're using is frakked.

Or try a cheap DMM.

Try a different O-Scope. If both the idiot gauge and the stinger are showing 12v.. I'd say the scope you're using is frakked.

Or try a cheap DMM.

I was going to suggest the same. Maybe the oscope was just off.

I set the stinger gauge to the dummy gauge thinking it was within range. After I installed the alt the dummy gauge barely went up so I thought I gained about .5-1 volt. No big deal, thats why I bought it. Set the stinger accordingly. No DMM at the time. Sorry, my batt up front is the only one and its a Sears trk/suv batt. It doesnt look bulged or leaking any fluids but the design of the outer casing makes it a little difficult to see.

I was thinking maybe the oscope was off but he seemed pretty proud of what he claimed was a $500 piece. It did look nice, dont get me wrong. But you should always get at least two different sources to rule out that problem. Im still waiting to hear back from the guy down the street about borrowing his clamp. He cant remember where he put it. Im just recently unemployed so buying one is out of the question unless its a good deal. And Im not too into buying from ebay.

The thing I still want to know is why the dummy only showed a slight increase in voltage?

Also I play at 3/4 volume and the batt led doesnt light up on the dash. It used to before I installed the alt within five seconds. Now after install the dummy is in the danger zone because I turned down the voltage regulator and the batt led never comes on. The gauge barely moves just like before at 3/4 volume.

You guys all say you wish you had my voltage problems. Well, do I even have that big of a voltage issue then? When I get another DMM and it reads the same at all places, should I worry about the extra voltage? I mean I wanted a little extra but not that much.

Thanks for the input guys

I tested it again tonight with a brand new meter that I bought. The voltage read perfectly and that oscope was whack I guess. 12.5 resting voltage with 14.4 volts running at the batt and the amp. Going to turn it up a few more tenths to about 14.6-7. Good enough for me. Might go back to that shop with my meter and have him try his oscope personally and see what happens.

I tested it again tonight with a brand new meter that I bought. The voltage read perfectly and that oscope was whack I guess. 12.5 resting voltage with 14.4 volts running at the batt and the amp. Going to turn it up a few more tenths to about 14.6-7. Good enough for me. Might go back to that shop with my meter and have him try his oscope personally and see what happens.

You still have a good electrical system, with only one battery ! It may be better with 2 or 3 agm batts;

It seems that the best thing to do, after the big3, is to instal a HO alternator. I'd love to find one that fits my car/engine!

You still have a good electrical system, with only one battery ! It may be better with 2 or 3 agm batts;

It seems that the best thing to do, after the big3, is to instal a HO alternator. I'd love to find one that fits my car/engine!

Just one Deka 9A31 to top it off with the current setup. I dont really need it but it will come in handy in the future.

Sucks you cant find one. What kind of ride and engine size do you have?

That makes way more sense.

lol Yes i figured that what was wrong in the first place ... wow 18 volts

He said his oscope was the ish, turned it on, and gave it to me. Sure as hell looked nice to me. He must have put it on the wrong setting or something. But I dont know how you can mess that up...wierd.