ShagggDiesel

D1 or D2 ohm?

I'm ordering the BTL 18", and I have 2 smaller amps (approx 1k rms each) and I was planning on running both of them to the 1 sub.. However, I also plan on buying a bigger amp in the future and running it alone to the sub at 1 ohm. Should I just get the D2 and just run one of the 1kw amps to it until I get the other amp?

I'm ordering the BTL 18", and I have 2 smaller amps (approx 1k rms each) and I was planning on running both of them to the 1 sub.. However, I also plan on buying a bigger amp in the future and running it alone to the sub at 1 ohm. Should I just get the D2 and just run one of the 1kw amps to it until I get the other amp?

Do you plan on getting another BTL in the future? For one BTL you could get the D2. Then say you get a sundown amp, you can run it at one ohm and if you decide to upgrade, strap two sundowns together, for 4krms @ 2ohm (if you use the SAZ-2000D for example). It works out both ways.

What amps do you have now?

But if you must stick to what you have already, i would go for the D2. Remember, there is no such thing as underpowering.

Are you already set on the amp you want in the future? There are plenty of 2000 watt @ 2 ohms amps out there. Dual 1 coils are still a possibility if they work better with your current amps, especially if you have no exact time frame of when you are getting the new amp (ie- maybe small possibility it might not happen for a long while).

im not sure if im right but i dont think u can have 2 different types of amps on 1 sub can u?

Do you plan on getting another BTL in the future? For one BTL you could get the D2. Then say you get a sundown amp, you can run it at one ohm and if you decide to upgrade, strap two sundowns together, for 4krms @ 2ohm (if you use the SAZ-2000D for example). It works out both ways.

What amps do you have now?

But if you must stick to what you have already, i would go for the D2. Remember, there is no such thing as underpowering.

I don't plan on getting another BTL any time soon, for one.. I have a pontiac grand am, and building a 5 cubic foot box to fit in there is going to be near impossible, so I wont have room for another one. It will be like 2 months before I get another amp.. so would you just recommend getting the D2 and settling with the one 1k amp until then?

im not sure if im right but i dont think u can have 2 different types of amps on 1 sub can u?

Yes you can, run one amp to one coil and the other to the other coil. Hence the "Dual" voice coils

Yes you can, run one amp to one coil and the other to the other coil. Hence the "Dual" voice coils

What I think he meant was, its not a good idea. And its not.

It's Not A Good Idea To Use Seperate Amps On Each Coil, Much Less Two Different Ones.

And 5 Cubes Is Not Enough For A 18" BTL, Unless You're Running Around 6kw To One, Lol.

Edit: I'd Reccommend Getting A D2 15" And Getting A SAZ-2000D. I Would Say A 3500D, But I Don't Know If You Have The Budget For The Amp And The Amount Of Electrical Beef You Would Need, Much Less The Experience To Run That Amount Of Power To One.

Edited by BigCProductions99

It's Not A Good Idea To Use Seperate Amps On Each Coil, Much Less Two Different Ones.

And 5 Cubes Is Not Enough For A 18" BTL, Unless You're Running Around 6kw To One, Lol.

Edit: I'd Reccommend Getting A D2 15" And Getting A SAZ-2000D. I Would Say A 3500D, But I Don't Know If You Have The Budget For The Amp And The Amount Of Electrical Beef You Would Need, Much Less The Experience To Run That Amount Of Power To One.

x2, I was just about to say the same thing (Im suprised nobody noticed he said he is in a Grand Am). Dude you dont have enough room for a the proper box for an 18" subwoofer, for airflow around box and room for amps/batteries. There is no way you can get an 18" in there unless you want to look cool and say I have an 18" but dont mind it sounding shitty at all (go with performance over looks but to each its own). Just my .02

why is that a bad idea? And the box specifications on the ficaraudio website for one 18" is 5-8 cubes with an rms of 2k without it being loaded. Either way, I've decided to not run seperate amps so I'm going with the d2 and looking into a hifonics Brutus 2601, or something of that nature for the time being. I'm getting an electrical upgrade for Christmas as well. A 200+ amp alt and a yellowtop optima. Eventually the big 3

Usually with smaller boxes you need more power than what is recommened by the company. Trust me go with the 15" and throw it in 5ft^3 and you will get more output from it (like I said performance is better than trying to be cool with an 18" but it depends on the user and what they want: performance or coolnees among peers and others).

I also have a grand am and I saw what you were doing for the electrical upgrades. Just something I had with my grandam is that the upgrades you are doing wont be enough to help with your system. The yellow top wont be enough as I have figured out with my car dimming with just a Brutus 2010d even with the big 3 in 1/0 and all other wiring also in 1/0. You should look into something a little more. Also you should do the big 3 first or while you are putting in the alternator. It makes it much easier then going back and doing it later and you have to do it for a 200+ amp alternator anyways.

Just Because It Reccommends That Amount Of Space Doesn't Mean You Need To Run It At That, Especially With A Crapfonics Bootus.

Like I Was Saying, A Box That Small Is For Something That Is Used Mostly Or Only For SPL Applications. (Competition Only.)

I Run Mine In 7.2 Cubic Feet After All Displacements, Because I'm Running 4kw To It, If I Was Running Less Power I Would Have Made The Box Bigger, More Power, Smaller. I Say Go With Performance Over Looks, But It's Up To You. A 15" In An Optimal Box Will Always Outdo An 18" In A Constrained One. Bigger Is Only Better When You Have The Electrical And Space To Back It Up, Bar None.

I Actually Think You'd Do Better With Something Like BL's, Again, It's All Your Decision.

I'd Do The Electrical Beef-up Way Before You Even Think Of Installing Anything Else. The Subwoofer And Everything That Goes Alog With It At This Point Should Be The Last Thing You're Thinking About.

jay-cee, You Da Man, Wish We Had More Helpful Folks Around Here Like You. Bring Your Ass To Turkey Drag Tomorrow.

It is simple get d1 if your amp is 2 ohm stable and get d2 if your amp is 1 ohm stable.