latorgator

buddy put drill through my the rubber surround

The other nite we were changin the box my fi's are in and the drill slipped and went through the rubber on the subwoofer.. He said if we put rtv silicone on the inside and outside of the cut it would be ok but Im not sure any help would be good

About how large is the whole? pictures included will allow us to help you quickly.

Silicone like he suggested is the only thing that can help besides a recone.

When I was installing you ALWAYS put your finger over the drill bit in case it slipped. That's a newbie mistake.

Silicone like he suggested is the only thing that can help besides a recone.

When I was installing you ALWAYS put your finger over the drill bit in case it slipped. That's a newbie mistake.

x2, hell definitely have done that one before a couple of times awhile back and using your hand as a guide will never fail.

welll... either silicone it up. or 120v wall socket and 100 dollars + a video will do it well too :D

:woot:

They make a drill bit that has a guide over it that slides over the screw and then comes back up as the screw goes in. If you install subs much, go get one. . .

If you use silicone, just do it on the inside so the outside does not look bad.

Another good note, be sure to PRE-DRILL the holes and PRE-RUN the screws into the wood before you install the sub so that it doesn't take so much force to put them in. Ideally it shouldn't take any more force than it takes to hold the driver on the screw to run them down when you're installing the sub that way if it does manage to slip it won't be so damaging because you're not pushing down so hard. Don't feel bad just about EVERYBODY does this at least once when they're starting out. Silicone will be okay for the repair, I've also had some luck repairing surrounds with finger nail polish believe it or not. I have a friend who is using some REALLY old school subs (late 80's, early 90's era MTX Blue Thunders). He's had to repair the surrounds on them several times due to them getting brittle from old age. He used his girlfriends black nail polish on all the repairs so far and they're still thundering away oddly enough, though they're not on near the power you have.

Another way to avoid this is predrill and use T-nuts and bolts instead of screws. They are much stronger and will allow you to remove your subwoofers without tearing up the wood.

Always predrill!!!

Predrill also prevents the wood from busting apart as the screw comes out the back side!

Always predrill!!!

Predrill also prevents the wood from busting apart as the screw comes out the back side!

x2

A real buddy would buy you a recone ;)

This :)

I would buy Rob a recone if I punched a hole in one of his XCON's I'm positive he's do the same if he ripped a Nightshade too :)

I would buy Rob a recone if I punched a hole in one of his XCON's I'm positive he's do the same if he ripped a Nightshade too :)

Real talk :)

Your friend is fired...... From installing, not from being your friend. :)

actually a lil of both cuz he didnt tell me until i saw it

Yeah that is not a true friend, at least tell you so yall can work things out instead of not saying nothing and making the situation worse. My only problem with some friends today is the fact they dont understand friendship, if they mess something up of yours it doesnt mean oh well he is my friend he wont trip about it. When it should be, damn let me pay my friend for the damages I caused (now those are real friends).

Hope you get this worked out, what are you gonna do to fix it? Have you fixed it yet? Keep us posted.

*shakes head in disapproval*

welll... either silicone it up. or 120v wall socket and 100 dollars + a video will do it well too :D

Best option IMHO ;)

have him fork over the cash, wall socket it and recone it :)

Best option IMHO ;)

have him fork over the cash, wall socket it and recone it :)

And do NOT let him install or touch the new one!

Exactly!

or let him, another recone and one more awesome sadistic video :D

btw, threaded inserts >>>>>> t-nuts