gadgeteer123

Where to get mdf for cheap??

I would like to know where I can get some MDF for a temporary/test enclosure I plan to build, I don't care how cheap or low in quality it is, since this will only be a test enclosure, I live in southern wisconsin, if you know of any stores here or any online shops that are cheap let me know. :) This will be for my 15" xcon for a temporary sealed enclosure for now, and after I get it in its new enclosure I will use this box for future testing purposes. i did do a quick search through the forums and I got zero results, kinda weird.

Edited by Small Town Audiophile

Im not familar with your area but the cheapest prices on mdf will probably be a lumber yard. If there isnt one near you your probably gonna have to go to lowes or homedepot

it really just depends on where you live...its like 25 bucks a sheet here, but ive heard of guys who get it for like 12 a sheet where they live.

only lumber yard close to me is menards, i'll see if i can get a ride, since I have no license at the moment. Thanks

If you want cheap you have the wrong hobby.biggrin.gif Get the MDF where its closest to where you live, and quit tripping over dollars to pick up a dime.

Bought me a sheet for my 15" for $26 and they made the cuts for me for free, saved me time and made it easier to fit in a car since I dont have a truck.

I gladly pay a little extra for MDF that is :

- properly stored flat

- in dry, preferably close to room temperature and not to humid conditions

- at a place that thas has accurate tablesaws to make initial cuts

Where have you tried? Making a thread to save $3 is a bit of a joke. Put some effort into things first.

I don't have a car do you think I can just drive around. I am gonna have a friend try menards today. Any suggestions on how to draw the right size circle, I lack any tools, I do have a jigsaw and a circular saw, and screwdrivers, but besides that i don't have much.

i pay 28 at a local place here.. all their wood is more expensive because its a really small town

My friend say he thinks its $30 at menards, i'm gonna call them tomorrow.

I'm gonna try and use a jigsaw, how do i draw a circle to follow??

this is what i did, find the actual diameter of the subwoofer and grab some scrap wood. Drill a small hole in one end and measure over the half of the diameter (radius) and drill in another hole. Hold it in the center and grab a pencil and outline it.

Perfect circle

I usually use a compass....

you could use a nail, some string, and a pencil.

Edited by chrisommer

lumbar yards are NOT cheaper to get mdf compared to Lowes.

I tried that trick long time ago.

Reason being it that Lowes buys SO MUCH of it compared to a lumber yard that they can pass the savings onto us.

Lowes is everywhere. There's a lot more Lowes then there are lumber yards with the same name.