aboveak

Upgraded exhaust with system?

I was curious to see how many people that want performance exhaust want to combine it with their system? Personally i wouldn't give up the good sounding exhaust. Straight pipe exhaust does throw in a lot of extra noise but i just wouldn't be able to not have it.

What do you guys think about your exhaust noise combined with your "SQ setup"? How many do it and who's given the exhaust up? I know a lot of people here have gone over and beyond measures in order to keep your cab quiet and seperate from outside noise.

if they are going for "sq" then i would assume they would give up a roaring exhaust to reach the quality goal.

personally i just put an intake on my car. its inaudible during normal driving, but if i ever want to hear it i just have to push the pedal a bit more. works well enough for me :)

Personally I find straight pipes or loud exhaust on a daily driver annoying as hell. I drive enough I do not want the constant noise polluting my music.

you could but you would need EXCESSIVE deadening.

Proper deadening I believe would be a better phrase to use.

You need to balance performance gain with bolt on's and regularly in a nearly stock vehicle exhaust doesn't do anything worthwhile except change the sound. Not sure why I'd ever want to hear my own ride unless of course it was some exotic engine. If a normal car, as quiet as possible while making as much power as possible is perfect.

I also think loud exhaust is annoying on the average vehicle. Or any vehicle that you'll drive a lot. I have two performance oriented cars and the one I drive the most in the summer still has relatively quiet exhaust compared to other vehicles with similar power. If the main focus of a vehicle was sound quality I'd rather have quiet exhaust, besides stock trucks with straight pipes always rap like hell and really annoy me.

Yes, Proper deadening. :P

If the car is worth giving it a nice exhaust i don't think it needs a system. (IMO)

but i think this only applies to muscle cars. in general stock cars with loud exhausts are just obnoxious

Yes, Proper deadening. :P

If the car is worth giving it a nice exhaust i don't think it needs a system. (IMO)

but i think this only applies to muscle cars. in general stock cars with loud exhausts are just obnoxious

True, my car still has an AM radio and one speaker in the center of the dash.

why ruin the nice rumble of a huge engine and the beautiful sound?

gotta love that muscle.

why ruin the nice rumble of a huge engine and the beautiful sound?

gotta love that muscle.

Exactly, it's hard to explain but putting it to the wood in a 10 second car is, in my opinion, the most fun you can have in a vehicle.

Wow i would have thought someone wanted exhaust on their car/truck here whether it be any type of vehicle. I'm refering to all setups here not just "SQ". I was mainly thinking the people with V8's would be the ones saying something. The 4 and 6 bangers i think sound horrible with any kind of aftermarket exhaust.

When i say straight pipe it sounds like you guys are thinking of that annoying crackling that sooo many rednecks put on their trucks and think it sounds good..haha. Mines definately nothing like that. Its loud as hell yes, but it sounds real low with no real crackle. Very similar to a muscle car. In fact my cousin has a '69 Chevelle that sounds really similar to my truck. Only real difference is he's got H-pipe and I have the X-pipe. There is a little sound difference. The H-pipe is a little higher pitched.

I know a lot of people hate any exhaust that's louder than stock because i get complaints everyday but i would think someone would want a panty droppin exhaust to go with panty droppin audio. The only sad part is women only compliment my exhaust and not the audio part. That's got to change here soon...

Is it a true straight pipe, thats bad for the engine if it is. Also my uncle modified his exhaust on one of his cars, so that when he wanted it loud he pulled a lever on the dash and it switched the pipe from a stock muffler to plain straight pipe.

Is it a true straight pipe, thats bad for the engine if it is. Also my uncle modified his exhaust on one of his cars, so that when he wanted it loud he pulled a lever on the dash and it switched the pipe from a stock muffler to plain straight pipe.

I guess true straight pipe would be no cats and no mufflers. So in reality its not true. I have cats but no mufflers

O well thats not as bad but it still isn't very good to the engine, get a reverse flow muffler there loud but they keep the truck running right.

I've never had any problems at all with the exhaust done that way. In fact my old '89 sierra has 150k mi on it and it's had minor things go wrong with it. Never any engine problems...Knock on wood. It was maintened very well though. Preventative maintenance will do miracles in the long run.

Anyway i didn't want to start this thread to talk about me. More of what you guys do or think

well, if it was my truck I would have it loud, but I would make it so that i couldn't hear it while i'm just cruising on the highway, but once I get on it you'll hear me for a mile. :) Thats how my caddy was, i checked you could hear it for a mile, when floored.

I guess true straight pipe would be no cats and no mufflers. So in reality its not true. I have cats but no mufflers

A proper system that makes more power than what you have would sound better, make more power, and be less annoying. Trucks like yours make me laugh.

An exhaust system on a car that begs for it and again helps it make power I am all fine with, but for the sake of being loud it makes no sense at all.

A proper system that makes more power than what you have would sound better, make more power, and be less annoying. Trucks like yours make me laugh.

An exhaust system on a car that begs for it and again helps it make power I am all fine with, but for the sake of being loud it makes no sense at all.

Fucking Fast And The Furious.

Straight exhaust doesn't hurt anything. Engines don't need back pressure. Yes some people will argue that it may change air/fuel mixtures and/or hurt the valves but as far as I know there isn't any real evidence of this being true. Any modern car's computer can compensate for changes such as back pressure, free flowing exhaust on a stock motor will likely give you a little extra power but not enough to make any difference.

From what i understood too much back pressure or too little can mess with your engine but it would have to be at extreme levels to hurt anything on a stock motor. The reason for the x-pipe is to create that back pressure. Which my exhaust does have.

This is what x-pipe sounds like( on the silverado anyway but it's pretty similar with any v8):Silverado straight x-pipe

This is straight back exhaust: Silverado straight back

Maybe you guys think both sound shitty but the first one is what i like and the 2nd one just sounds horrible

I hate the sound of x-pipes, too raspy. I have an x-pipe on my Malibu and I'm really not pleased with the sound, but it's pretty quiet so it's staying that way. I could probably get a tenth or two in the quarter running open headers but I'm way too lazy to try it.

Horrible video considering the other car is a lot louder, but you get the idea.

Modern computer controlled cars DO need back pressure. This is mainly for the pollutions controls.

X-pipes are NOT to create backpressure; any type of midpipe is there to help equalize exhaust gases.

There are far too many variables to say one is best or worst for all, but most modern exhaust systems are designed quite efficiently for their intended purpose. The efficiency problems usually lie within the engine design itself. Manufacturers have to compromise somewhere. You know damn well, if they wanted to make 50mpg engines, they could. How cheaply they could be made is the issue, along with all political BS.

My car is pretty loud, and personally, due to it's nature, I wouldn't bother putting much of a system in it. I may throw a small sub in there just for the hell of it, but I'm definitely not going to add any extra weight to it with deadening, nor am I going to change the exhaust. Again, it's a compromise. Hell even if my exhaust wasn't loud, the supercharger whine is more than enough to make a "system" a moot point.

I had strait pipes on my crown vic. It sounded good but the pipe dumped under the back seat so it was loud inside. Now i have true duals with mufflers sounds better much quiter but Its almost to quiet. I like it now though.

Modern computer controlled cars DO need back pressure. This is mainly for the pollutions controls.

X-pipes are NOT to create backpressure; any type of midpipe is there to help equalize exhaust gases.

There are far too many variables to say one is best or worst for all, but most modern exhaust systems are designed quite efficiently for their intended purpose. The efficiency problems usually lie within the engine design itself. Manufacturers have to compromise somewhere. You know damn well, if they wanted to make 50mpg engines, they could. How cheaply they could be made is the issue, along with all political BS.

My car is pretty loud, and personally, due to it's nature, I wouldn't bother putting much of a system in it. I may throw a small sub in there just for the hell of it, but I'm definitely not going to add any extra weight to it with deadening, nor am I going to change the exhaust. Again, it's a compromise. Hell even if my exhaust wasn't loud, the supercharger whine is more than enough to make a "system" a moot point.

^^ Tiretryr knows his cars guys, listen up!