b34tBoX

How do you guys crimp larger ring terminals?

For 1/0AWG or even 4AWG terminals..

Of this style:

high_temp_ring.jpg

I'll use a screw and put in in the crease and squeeze in a bench-vise then rotate 90* and squeeze again. Usually have to do it a few times each way to get it secure, but even then I don't feel too confident of it's pull strength.

There's gotta be a better/faster way.

Edited by b34tBoX

i only crimp enough to get a grip on the wire then solder them. i would highly suggest soldering them. there are some youtube videos that show how, if you need it.

i like this one...

just cuz i think he is funny. there is explicit language and a bunch of other stuff not exactly just on soldering... but makes sense of it. he starts soldering at 2:27 Edited by watts09

Here's another:

Also I remember seeing St3v3 M34d3's buddy do them using this technique as well, WITHOUT crimping them first.

I thought at the time, that would never hold.

But apparently it holds very well?

I don't know why the name is censored..

Edited by b34tBoX

I've always crimped it snug with a vice grips and soldered it from there. I have no doubt soldering without crimping shouldn't be a problem but I figure better safe than sorry.

I've always crimped it snug with a vice grips and soldered it from there. I have no doubt soldering without crimping shouldn't be a problem but I figure better safe than sorry.

All right guys, thanks. I know what to do now!

cheapest way is a ball point hammer and a hard place to pound, thats how i did mine (2/0). if you solder them, make sure to use silver solder, stronger and less electrical resistance.

Hydraulic-Crimping-Tool-YQK-70-.jpg

I've seen people on the internet using Hydraulic Crimpers.

And many using soldering.

if i don't have any solder, and don't feel like driving JUST to get it like my last run of 1/0, then i just used a vice and both sides of the ring terminal "caved in" and its bounded in there

cheapest way is a ball point hammer and a hard place to pound, thats how i did mine (2/0). if you solder them, make sure to use silver solder, stronger and less electrical resistance.

Much, much, more expensive. Not to mention a higher melting point as well. In all, a pain in the ass for this type of application.

But if you have the money and time, then go for it.

I crimp and solder, they are okay by themselves, but more effective when used together.

I just crimp with a bench vise and a center punch to fold it in, then I hit it with shrink tubing. If I can't pull the terminal off with medium/high pulling strength I don't see the need to solder.:shrug:

I usually use vise grips but when in a pinch a dull bolt cutter works to, plus bolt cutters are great for cutting 0 gauge wire :)

60/40 solder is OK to use?

I dont know the mix ratio of the solder but the cheap electrical solder from benzomatic is fine. They make the torches too. You can find it at the depot. A little $3-4 roll will go a long way.

I didn't think the silver solder was much more expensive. Last time I checked that's the stuff I buy at Lowes and it's only a couple bucks for a small roll. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to check over at Lowes since I'm out of it.

Im sorry. I should have clarified.

The silver solder used in welding a hot water heater for example, is what I and thought he was referring to. It is much more pure than the stuff you are thinking of. Its silver as well but not as much.

i used some really big pliers , and some really hard hand pressure ;)

In the early AM this morning 1-4 i was up doing this... but i didn't have any solder and couldnt find my vice grips so... i took this hitch wrench i had next to me, put the terminal on and set it on my floor in the garage and WHACK WHACK WHACK then i was like hmmm, i really hope this works THEN i found my vice grips and clamped it on the terminal and tried ripping it off, didnt move at all lol.

Thats how i did it.

also don't use solder with the acid in it, it will eat a way at your wire