shizzzon

Interested in multi-inserts, massive battery bars and fuse blocks?

This wouldnt be really recommended for those who do not compete so I'll tell you now that this isn't necessary or needed for normal use of an amplifier.

But for those who want the most out of their amps on the meter, read on...

I am going to be getting into some projects soon for the car audio comp world and start making my own everything...

I have several plans laid out for the competition world and for starters, i plan on making some multi insert wire blocks.

Basically what it is is this-

(for amps that accept 1/0 inserts only at this time)

It would be a block of copper that inserts into the amp's power\ground terminal then outputs in a manner that can accept 2 ring terminals efficiently of ANY size as long as the outer diameter of the ring terminal itself is no wider in diameter than 1". 2/0 ring terminals are just under 7/8" wide to give you an idea.

This block is capable of handling loads of ~600A continuous PER insert so this block is safe and plenty capable of being used.

The purpose of the inserts is to give the user the capability of running multi wires to an amp just like competitors do to\from their batteries. This will help get as much power out of your amp as possible.

There is a user on another forum selling these for almost $70 a set(2 inserts per amp for power\ground) but i can guarantee that they will not be that expensive, lol.

I will be testing these for smaller inserts later on but since most people use 1/0 inserts, i'm focusing on that first.

I was gonna experiment with multi speaker wire runs but i find it completely unnecessary so don't ask, :)

I will be doing before and after tests of current draw and voltage drop at the amp before and after using these inserts to see the difference. I hope to prove the use of these in real world.use.

It will be a couple weeks before the first small batch is made and if successful performance-wise, i'll start making loads of these.

I have plans for 3 different ways of making these work so i gotta see which ways, if any, is not a good choice for the masses.

There was an install where someone did that with a block of aluminum I think, one end fit into the terminal and the block fit 8 runs of 1/0 in it. I can't remember the member or build log.

so what you are telling me is you stole my idea and are trying to make money off of it? lol!! jk i already give this idea some though and i would be selling them pending a protype but only once after i return to the tool shop in march lol! here is my design? mine has 2 wirings which will be feed directly in and the tired in with set screws! but i like your idea too!

terminalss.jpg

and

Untitled-13.jpg

and i would be interested in about 6 sets of these or more let me tlk to some ppl when i see a price!!

basically if you can make them for a good price i am not going to waste my time lol!

I saw an AQ amp for sale that had something similar. Looked nice. Not sure it's needed, but different strokes and all...

wouldnt this only be needed for those who dont have a battery in the back? otherwise you can run as many runs from the front to back, with such a short run from the back battery to the amp, is it really needed/make a noticeable difference?

i can see where it would be needed though. just seems like overkill, even for big competitors.. :peepwall:

Audio competitors are fanatical. More superstitious than pro football players and surgeons combined!

lol, i've seen some unnecessary wire runs in my time, hehe.

The block for the AQ owner was done by a guy that charged way too much.... I dont like that.

The aluminum block that had 8 runs per was installed in a soundigital 12kd amp. Copper is many times more conductive for one and can be made smaller without looking bulky.

well... after doin some thinkin, i'm gonna be doin more than just block inserts...

I'm gonna be working on the following-

• dual wire runs from amp that use 1/0 inserts
  • buss bars or buss flats(bars that only connect to 1 point for a single battery) for screw posts.
  • buss flat for stock battery post(bar sits lower than post so guaranteed to fit)
  • Massive non fused distribution block
  • Massive fused distribution block
  • Subwoofer flats

I'd like to get some comments\suggestions on what they'd like to see in a distro block.

The fused block's input and output section are bridged together because they are both solid blocks.

Both sides would accept up to 5 massive ring terminals up to 4/0(not 4awg, hehe) per side!

The connection between them will be tapped to accept BOTH ANL and mini-ANL fuses. A total of 5-6 fuses capable.

The distribution block will be rated for an insane ~1,000A-1,500A of CONTINUOUS current capability.

Most distribution blocks on the market are only rated for 300A and some industrial blocks are rated up to 700A to give you an idea.

The non fused block is basically just a square flat full of multiple connection points.

ALL blocks- fused, non-fused, battery terminal flats- they all connect via ring terminals ONLY for better holding.

After talking about this for a while, i also decided to start doin some quick testing with Subwoofer flats.

These little pieces will slide directly into the push terminals and output via a flat bar to connect the speaker wire too via ring terminal.

The pieces will allow voice coil configuration changes from parallel to series and a more secure connection without fraying.

Stay tuned for some updates next month.

would the 2runs of 0g into one amp make the amp draw current more efficiently for a smaller amp? Like one of the sundown 1200 v2s

Sort of like how 'bigger is always better'. ???? if so, if you could show some test figures i'd defiantly be interested in this.

would the 2runs of 0g into one amp make the amp draw current more efficiently for a smaller amp? Like one of the sundown 1200 v2s

Sort of like how 'bigger is always better'. ???? if so, if you could show some test figures i'd defiantly be interested in this.

Good question but I dont see the need for it since your not pulling that many amps from the start.

that's right! for daily use, i do NOT suggest using these.

Audio companies are marketing amps with the proper amount of connections and the right size for daily use.

Very select few companies do not but none that are sold here so no need to worry.

I will DEFINITELY have a before and after test.

I will be using a 3,500w amp for the test so that should be sufficient enough and on stock alternator and limited battery for bad scenarios, :)

If the before and after are terrible or have no difference.. I will only make those accessories that are required for other uses.

Ok, i'm bout to start testing the fused distribution blocks before being released but before i do, i need some opinions...

I've already gotten feedback on how many inputs\outputs this block should have and what type and how many fuses it should be able to hold.

Please remember- THESE ARE MASSIVE FUSE BLOCKS. I'm not making blocks that are already marketed. These are for the high powered users.

The following is what it will have-

5 Inputs \ 5 Outputs

All ring terminal connections. Accepted terminals- 4awg, 2awg, 1awg, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0.

Fuse information-

Accepts BOTH mini-ANL and ANL fuses!

It will accept up to 4 ANLs and up to 5 mini-ANLs at the same time if necessary.

The next step is current capability-

Most marketed fuse blocks are only rated at ~300A continuous.

Multi insert blocks can be rated as high as 500A continuous but anything higher than that.. it's unknown what they are rated for...

So, how much current should this massive fuse block be rated for?

Remember, this is continuous current, not peak current. The fuses will still blow before the block burns because i am going by the current rating of the least amount of heat increase.

You have a range of 500-2000A. I will say that 2000A of current is almost impractical BUT... you can always choose it... it would just be pretty $$$, hehe.

I can also go above 2000A but i think that's irrational, lol.

I have been thinking about going with a rating of 1,100A. If that sounds reasonable.. then i'll keep it at that.

Also... what is the ideal pricing of such a massive block?

how much do you think a block with 5 inputs, 5 outputs that accepts any large sized wire with up to 9 fuses would normally cost?

I'm trying to get some ideas goin so this will fit nicely.

i think a rating of 1000amp's is ideal, for pricing i would try to keep it at 40-50/ set! but now you have to ask yourself what does it cost material and YOUR TIME to make them lol!!

also i AM DIEING to see a PIC of these..maybe just a quick scetchup idea? like right now i image it looks like a block with x inputs and has x output to the amp. but i would like to see your idea..if you could do a quick scetch and MAYBE if possible toss some dimensions in there!

also i dont' know if you siad but what material are you making this of? copper? alum?

it's thick ass aluminum block. This is to keep the cost down.

I will be getting in some raw painted sheets of fiberglass that the blocks will be glued to.

the fiberglass will be the base for these blocks and there will be a cover for them as well made of fiberglass.

I havent seen them in person yet but the base and covering should be painted red.

If i went with copper.. the price would skyrocket. aluminum is just fine for this current.

The block's dimensions that i know of right now are as follows-

6.5" wide x 5.5" long(from input to output) x ~3" tall.

I'll try and make a sketchup of it, good idea.

okay i will wiat for your drawing lol!! i was going to draw your idea but i wouldn't do it justice so i will leave that to you lol!!

but for sure that is a BIG chunk of alum! lol!

OK, here it is-

Input lines are on the left, Output lines are on the right-

fuse1000A.jpg

o hey that is kind a wierd lol, for some odd reason i though there would only be ONE output which woudl be made of a piece of alum which would stick into the amp. soo multiple inputs and only 1 output (kind a like how my pic looks on my first post) o well no worries it is a good idea for a huge distro lol! and I love the idea of mini anl and normal anl!

oh, you are thinkin of the multi insert blocks i'm making too...

That picture is of the fused-distribution block i will be making rated for ~1,100A of continuous current pass-flow.

That's why there are inputs\outputs, it's a fused distro block.

the multi-inserts i have put back on the table for a while and am gonna be focusing on these, non fused blocks and buss bars for stock and aftermarket batteries.

o i c! I am sorry for the confusion. but when you bring the multi insert block back to the front of the table shoot me plug or post it on this thread!!

but that distro block looks awesome!

yea, i was gonna do the multi-insert thing first but something came up and the tooling cost went WAY OUT the window so i'm tryin to find another vendor that can get me what i need for a lot cheaper so i can make them a LOT cheaper than what they are being made for now.

aww i c! well if all goes well maybe i could be your new supplier lol!! but we will see how things pan out for me.

got another pic for ya.

this is of a buss flat for a stock battery.

What this does is connects onto the power or ground post and extends it's connections out so you can get the world connected to it.

The following pic is of the ABSOLUTE maximum connection points capable.

they will not come this way but just to show how many connections are possible.

the side of the bar allows direct connect of factory power cable and factory alternator charging cable. There are more side inserts for other smaller wire if necessary.

all posts up top are for 4awg- 1/0 terminals. Larger terminals will be spaced out further.

bussbarstock.jpg

o wow it is the king of bus bars lol!! with plenty of holes! (swiss cheese lol jk) NIce work!

Lol, competition is crazy, lol

I have decided to build non-fused distro blocks per request so there will be no 1 set design, therefore no pics of those here.

Only non-marketed designs will be considered.

so you will build nofused distro blocks for special applications were certian dimensions are key?