stonehead

Sundown 100.4d vs. J.L. 300/4

I am looking at both of these units' specs. The J.L. lists 75 watts per channel at 11.4 volts, the Sundown seems to list 100 watts per channel at 14.4 volts. When I say seems to; it lists testing voltage at 14.4.I would like to know if the 100.4d was tested at 14.4 volts, and if so what would be the rated wattage at 11.4 volts. Apples to apples. Also the signal to noise ratio is much different for these two units. If anyone can tell me at what output these tests were run for each unit.I understand the there is a good chance only the manufacturers know these answers, and they may not want to tell. I also would like to know where Sundown Audio manufactures their products. I am trying to buy domestic if possible. Thank you.

If anybody can get you an answer on this its the people here. as far as car audio questions go, i go no further. All my questions are answered here. :) good luck and welcome :)

I am looking at both of these units' specs. The J.L. lists 75 watts per channel at 11.4 volts, the Sundown seems to list 100 watts per channel at 14.4 volts. When I say seems to; it lists testing voltage at 14.4.I would like to know if the 100.4d was tested at 14.4 volts, and if so what would be the rated wattage at 11.4 volts. Apples to apples. Also the signal to noise ratio is much different for these two units. If anyone can tell me at what output these tests were run for each unit.I understand the there is a good chance only the manufacturers know these answers, and they may not want to tell. I also would like to know where Sundown Audio manufactures their products. I am trying to buy domestic if possible. Thank you.

Sound Solutions Audio Membership - SSA Car Audio Forum

Attention NOOBS!!!! - SSA Car Audio Forum

Read these before posting! You will get faster results on your questions when posted in the correct forum.

Thanks for the advice Melting Grasshopper. I appreciate the welcome Smashed z28.

Vehicle- 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel

Batteries- 2- 800 CCA

Alternator-Factory

Current system- Factory basic system

To answer your question on the amplifiers. Both are great amps I am a little biased to Sundown but that doesn't take anything away from the JL Audio.

The Sundown is underrated and is probably closer to 125 watts rms per channel. A great output section consisting of Sanken Outputs and one of the best internal crossover sections I have seen on an amplifer in it's price range. It is a very well built,designed and engineered amplifier.

All Sundown amplifiers are very under rated, and built to last. Expect upwards of 125 watts from the 100.4 per channel at 4 ohms. They are made in Korea. Don't let that deter you though, there are VERY few amplifiers still made here, even then they use components form overseas and are just assembled here.

JL amps are made offshore as well! But both companies are based in the USA so your supporting USA companies.

And either way there is NO acoustical difference between the two power outputs at any voltage. ie, one will NOT sound louder than the other. Not at all the reason to decide on either amplifier. Perhaps if you shared something about your system and goals we could state which would work better for you, but based on power you won't hear a difference at all.

Buy the one that has the best combination of features, power, and price that meets your criteria. If both do, buy the less expensive one.

:WELCOME:

Got to admit was never a JL fan. Always was a fan of the old school orion and ppi amps. But this time around I am trying a sundown amp due to the things ive heard about the amps and subs.

i have used BOTH amps in THE SAME sett up... and the sundown was a much better amp for the job.....

JL products are good, Sundown products are good. There will be no difference to your ears. Both amps are made with very good technology and love :wub: "haha"

How much money do you want to spend?

The JL goes for around 350 NEW on ebay, the Sundown goes for 550 on their website. (shipping not included)

. There will be no difference to your ears.

i dont agree... infact it was a notable change,

Are you sure you just didnt have the settings different when you changed the amps?

i have used BOTH amps in THE SAME sett up... and the sundown was a much better amp for the job.....

might want to define your use of better. the jl might be "better" for him :peepwall:

Are you sure you just didnt have the settings different when you changed the amps?

I agree with Jon, the 100.4 was noticeably better than my Kicker KX350.4.

Come on guys.

Better and notable change are NOT valid descriptions of a difference. Those descriptions disregard power output which I am sure is what made you think there was a difference. If not it was a placebo effect. If you believe differently go prove Richard Clark wrong.

Little represented fact. If you heard the exact same speakers back to back in a blind A/B test under the preface that someone told you they were different, when asked which you prefer you would always pick the ones that were playing louder. Obviously not if you were playing beyond the capabilities of the speaker, but that isn't the goal of my comment.

The JL has a serious advantage in SOME installations all related to impedance, but that being said you aren't comparing apples to apples as a 75wx4 JL does not have the same output that a Sundown 100.4 will.

Got to admit was never a JL fan. Always was a fan of the old school orion and ppi amps. But this time around I am trying a sundown amp due to the things ive heard about the amps and subs.

May want to check out who the engineer/designer is on the JL Audio amps!

So are you going to tell me? Or do I have to use google and actually do something? I'm hoping to take the easy way out and have you answer for me. :popcorn:

So are you going to tell me? Or do I have to use google and actually do something? I'm hoping to take the easy way out and have you answer for me. popcorn.gif

Bruce Macmillan from PPI and Jeff Scoon from Xtant iirmc.