ubrjetgunner

Smoked my Fi Q12

so as i was driving around with my friend, my sub woofer started hitting the bass really weird...shortly after a burning smell came...almost like a grinder, then no more bass!

well ive had my sub since jan, hooked up to a DSC2000.1d, wired @ 2ohms, 56.1v on the multimeter, 2.5cf ported box...every thing was done right! why would this happen?

should i contact Fi about getting this repaired?

You set your gain way to high and clipped the piss out of it. You set the gain for 1500w when the amp is only rated at 1000w into 2 ohms.

i cant remember the exact number, but i know i set it for 1000watts @2ohms...steve meade had a chart for that, even used a 50hrz test tone @ 0db

Clipped signal on the amp and most likey had the seaker unloading below tuning frequency!

Box and port specs?

found the specs i had for my box bjsfiQ12.png

this really blows, think i had it set to low...i didn't really mess around with the low pass on my amp, is this even repairable?

Most likely a recone at your expense! Most likely won't be covered under warranty but you never know, Fi is a great company!

Email Fi or PM Nick or Scott here on the forum! Might take some time as they are way behind on building subs.

Why did you buy a Q in the first place? Not at all the driver for what you plan on doing to it.

your right, well i would get a BTL 15...you think they could cut me a deal? like send them my broken q12, get a little off the BTL? idk why im asking you, but its worth a shot haha

lol "here is a broken sub, lets get a discount on another!" :P

i would get a recone and then try and sell the q to get some funds for the btl.

Don't do trade ins...sorry.

Regardless, you set your gain with a multimeter...which is absolutely one of the dumbest things you can do. (No offense of course)

It can easily be fixed with a recone..but if you slap it right back in the box with the amp set like it is then you'll be right back here again.

The problem is too much volume knob, 'super bass' eq on the headunit, 'bass boost' on the amplifier...and your gain was too high trying to make the amplifier make power that it cannot make.

well i emailed Fi about it, and i haven't heard from them since the 19th...are they still really behind?

um... NDMStang IS Fi... looks like u heard somethin 2 weeks ago.

He is saying that he sent them an email on the 19th after being on the forum and has not heard anything since then. FI stays busy my friend :peepwall:

i sent them another email...im getting pretty bummed, i miss my bass.

Send it in..it's not going to fix itself.

You can go on the website and order a recone and go ahead and pay for the return shipping to you. It is under the recones section of the website.

It's not going to be a warranty issue regardless as it is definitely classified under abuse...the warranty only covers manufacturing defect...which is what all warranty's cover.

If you drive your brand new car into a wall at 70mph I don't think the dealership is going to give you a brand new car when you get that one towed in :)

Send it in once you order the recone off of the website and select "Send in sub"..it will charge you for the return shipping and everything is automated that way.

Fi Car Audio - Recones

5450 Cameron Street #102

Las Vegas, Nv 89118

When we get it in we'll get it reconed and back out to you, but you must change how you set everything up..otherwise you'll be right back here again with the same story.

thanks guess i have to suck it up, and learn the hard way haha

how should i set the gains this time? DMM didn't prove to be to effective...or the chart i was using was wrong.

Edited by Slo N Low

Don't do trade ins...sorry.

Regardless, you set your gain with a multimeter...which is absolutely one of the dumbest things you can do. (No offense of course)

It can easily be fixed with a recone..but if you slap it right back in the box with the amp set like it is then you'll be right back here again.

The problem is too much volume knob, 'super bass' eq on the headunit, 'bass boost' on the amplifier...and your gain was too high trying to make the amplifier make power that it cannot make.

Owned

Owned

Send it in..it's not going to fix itself.

You can go on the website and order a recone and go ahead and pay for the return shipping to you. It is under the recones section of the website.

It's not going to be a warranty issue regardless as it is definitely classified under abuse...the warranty only covers manufacturing defect...which is what all warranty's cover.

If you drive your brand new car into a wall at 70mph I don't think the dealership is going to give you a brand new car when you get that one towed in :)

Send it in once you order the recone off of the website and select "Send in sub"..it will charge you for the return shipping and everything is automated that way.

Fi Car Audio - Recones

5450 Cameron Street #102

Las Vegas, Nv 89118

When we get it in we'll get it reconed and back out to you, but you must change how you set everything up..otherwise you'll be right back here again with the same story.

Owned

:roflmao:

Good luck with the next driver dude!!! :fing34:

so ive been talking to a sales person from fixmyspeaker, and before i go ahead and send the payment, i would like to know what you guys think of the company.

Edited by Slo N Low

Yeah...wtf you beating around the bush for? You've gotten your answer multiple times. The correct solution is to have them fix it...or order a recone and fix yourself.

It amazes me ppl will trip over a dollar to pick up a dime.lol. FI for the love of your sub, Bub.

Nick you da' man. +1.gif