ubrjetgunner

Smoked my Fi Q12

FI has answered your questions, everyone who chimed in answer your questions, if we thought fixmyspeaker was the answer we would have said go to fixmyspeaker.

and i don't completely see why setting you gains with a dmm is possibly the worst thing you could have done. if you don't have a o-scope and you aren't good with your hearing like me, what is another alternative? sorry for whoring your thread by the way.

FI has answered your questions, everyone who chimed in answer your questions, if we thought fixmyspeaker was the answer we would have said go to fixmyspeaker.

and i don't completely see why setting you gains with a dmm is possibly the worst thing you could have done. if you don't have a o-scope and you aren't good with your hearing like me, what is another alternative? sorry for whoring your thread by the way.

I'd say that the turn your head unit to as high as you normally use it, and SLOWLY turn the gain up until you hear unloading or distortion would be the best bet, and not to kid yourself about hearing the distortion, be honest with yourself.

Also, SEND IT TO FI! THEY CAN FIX IT BETTER THAN ANYONE! THEY BUILT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

i have only 30 percent hearing in my left ear and my right is probaly not doing better than 80 so the distortion thing is hard for me to hear. what sounds good to me probally sounds like complete poop to others.

Then have somebody else listen as you set the gain.

or stop listen to loud ass music and killing off the rest of your hearing...

Yeah Nick

I would also like to know why setting your gain with a DMM is the worse way?

I know hearing might be the best way, but does that mean DMM has a high rate of failure?

I have whats called artillery ears, its from being next to field artillery as it goes off, even with ear plugs it still doesn't help.

Yeah Nick

I know hearing might be the best way, but does that mean DMM has a high rate of failure?

A speaker's impedance changes with frequency and the amplifier's output voltage is affected by its input voltage

Yeah Nick

You can't see clipping with a DMM.

Yeah Nick

winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah Nick

winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll take a signed coffee mug.

:coffee:

Yeah Nick

winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll take a signed coffee mug.

:coffee:

Why would you want me to sign a coffee mug lol :)

well sorry to make such a big thread about repairing a subwoofer...i ended up going with Fi for the repairs, and school has kept me occupied , took almost a month to get it ordered haha

Clipping can sound like a bit of high pitched chirping along with the bass -- I can hear it when I am bench testing a woofer on our bench 1500D when it happens. May have to make a video one day.

As for the DMM question...

1) The DMM doesn't see what the wave looks like - just measures voltage - as mentioned before.

2) When you load the amp with a woofer after setting the gains everything changes.

Clipping can sound like a bit of high pitched chirping along with the bass -- I can hear it when I am bench testing a woofer on our bench 1500D when it happens. May have to make a video one day.

1) The DMM doesn't see what the wave looks like - just measures voltage - as mentioned before.

2) When you load the amp with a woofer after setting the gains everything changes.

ok, so not to thread jack, but ive been told to set it with a DMM and with out one, basically all i need to do is take my sub, put on the 50 Hz tone and just turn it up until distortion. what does this "distortion" typically sound like? lol

I did the math and found out i would need 34.6 volts @ 1ohm=1,200watts...i don't have access to a o-scope, i know there will still be clipping, i just want to minimize it. The DMM i used last time was from the 1980's...i shouldn't have trusted it.

ok, so not to thread jack, but ive been told to set it with a DMM and with out one, basically all i need to do is take my sub, put on the 50 Hz tone and just turn it up until distortion. what does this "distortion" typically sound like? lol

It can have a variety of sounds depending on the sub and box, just listen for anything changing in the tonality of the sub. But typically what I hear is a hollowing effect. Stand back a few feet and you can hear it better. Also, once the sub stops getting louder with increased volume knob turns, it's at its limit. turn it down.

It can have a variety of sounds depending on the sub and box, just listen for anything changing in the tonality of the sub. But typically what I hear is a hollowing effect. Stand back a few feet and you can hear it better. Also, once the sub stops getting louder with increased volume knob turns, it's at its limit. turn it down.

OK, THANK YOU!, and i hope this helped the original poster too ;P

yup it helped me out, never really knew what to listen for...

and how long does the average re-cone take?

yup it helped me out, never really knew what to listen for...

and how long does the average re-cone take?

it probably depends on experience but if you sent it into FI then probably not long.