BanginGMC

Custom door panels for my GMC Sonoma!

I need helping figuring out how to go about getting 6.5s in the doors of my 86 GMC Sonoma. As some of you might know that S Series trucks (S15s and S10s) around that year didn't come with door speakers from the factory, only dash and back panels. I never fiberglassed before so if possible i would like to stay away from that.. but if i must i will take on the challenge, if i could get away with just putting a sheet of MDF on the door and cut holes for my 6.5s that would be great.. but i don't think there is enough space between the door and where the MDF would sit because there was no speaker in before hand so GMC didn't give it the room for speakers so somehow i have to make the MDF come out a la few inches, i don't know how to do so.. this is why i come to you guys, so you can throw out some ideas for me. I am going to be using Type R 6.5 component set, in the near future (summer) i will be doing 4 sets in the doors but for now only one set. I will probably get a PDX amp to power them. (would like to put the tweets in the doors as well.)

19692192.jpg

19694611.jpg

19697676.jpg

See how there is like NO gap/extra space between the door panel and sheet metal :suicide-santa:

19701807.jpg

Why do you want to do 4 sets of components just in your doors?

Why do you want to do 4 sets of components just in your doors?

It's a show truck and im going for the wow factor, yeah i know a sheet of MDF wont really be wow but the fact of having 4 sets will be eye candy. + it helps me when i have to compete against other trucks in my class with audio.

Edited by BanginGMC

Fiberglass. Lay down a mold, pull that off and do your whole thing like that. Make it so you can bolt it back to your door.

Fiberglass. Lay down a mold, pull that off and do your whole thing like that. Make it so you can bolt it back to your door.

Don't know how to fiberglass and wouldn't know how to make the mold or where to start on making one.

If you plan on competing, what type?? streetbeat or something ??

If you plan on competing, what type?? streetbeat or something ??

Nooo, not competing in audio competitions. In Car Shows.. like get judged on how your truck is modified, like best domestic mini truck.

Throw me some ideas guys, i need help!

Thats what I meant, type of comp. I love truck shows. I'm Going to Showfest 2010 and Scrapin the Coast 2010 this year.

You decided to cut your back wall yet?? I think I know where a fiberglass bedcover is for that style truck.

Cutout the map pocket on the door, remove the carpet as far back as you want. Cut a piece of MDF however you like it to look, cutout for speakers in MDF and door and then cover the MDF, attach back to door and your done. Oh don't forget to wire them up!

No need for 2 sets of comps though imo. Can also do q-logic Q-Forms kick panels as well. Especially if don't have any glass skills.

:drink40:

Thats what I meant, type of comp. I love truck shows. I'm Going to Showfest 2010 and Scrapin the Coast 2010 this year.

You decided to cut your back wall yet?? I think I know where a fiberglass bedcover is for that style truck.

I'm still stuck between a wall or blowthrough.. if i was to do a wall i would get it to match the rest of my truck, it'd have a white fiberglass beauty face that connected with my head liner, it'd all be one piece... it'd curve down ward from the headliner.. and my dash, center console is going to be all white fiberglass.

That would help me with the shows more then a blow through, and i'm lifting it and putting 26+ inch rims on it.

Where's the bed cover, what color is it, and how much?

*still need help with door panels!*

Cutout the map pocket on the door, remove the carpet as far back as you want. Cut a piece of MDF however you like it to look, cutout for speakers in MDF and door and then cover the MDF, attach back to door and your done. Oh don't forget to wire them up!

No need for 2 sets of comps though imo. Can also do q-logic Q-Forms kick panels as well. Especially if don't have any glass skills.

:drink40:

But there is no speaker cut outs from the factory.. wouldnt space be an issue if i were just put a piece of MDF there? - Was thinking about doing it just like the Fleetwood Caddy build thats floating around here.. but like i said in underline might be a prob, no?

and im going to have 4sets of comps, 4 speakers in each door, but thats in the summer, not now..

Edited by BanginGMC

You won't fiberglass mids in your doors but you'll fiberglass the face or a wall along with the entire headliner and dash of your truck?

First of all I'm a big 1st gen fan, and those panels are way to nice to start cutting up. I would hit the JY and find an older "not so nice" set to work with.

Second this is what I did with my panels. You could add more speaker I suppose if SQ isn't what you aim is. You'll nee to get a hole saw to cut the sheet metal on the doors for the mids to fall back through.

TheWall024.jpg

Edited by oxsign

Take Ryan J's advice and play around with fiberglass. It would score you more points and look so much cleaner.

Since you wont have to cut up your doors, if you make a mistake you can do it over with no harm.

You will be much more pleased with the end results.

I would say leave your map pocket, cut a hole in the map pocket with a piece of mdf in the map pocket to mount it to. Then vent it into the door. I know what I am trying to say just dont know how it is coming out right now.

19692192.jpg

Red is the speaker cut outs and green is where you should put mdf and seal over the map pocket. Maybe some carpet that matches interior. Just my .02 Sorry for the shabby drawing. I'm at work and all I have is MS paint. Hahaha.

You won't fiberglass mids in your doors but you'll fiberglass the face or a wall along with the entire headliner and dash of your truck?

Having my good friend Lucky Luciano do the fiberglassing and painting. He owns a custom shop and his work as been in the sema show, dub show, and many many more.

First of all I'm a big 1st gen fan, and those panels are way to nice to start cutting up. I would hit the JY and find an older "not so nice" set to work with.

Second this is what I did with my panels. You could add more speaker I suppose if SQ isn't what you aim is. You'll nee to get a hole saw to cut the sheet metal on the doors for the mids to fall back through.

My interior is really nice and it would suck to mess up... but i've been to the JY's here and they dont have shit.

Edited by BanginGMC

I can't see the pictures cause im on the school computer :suicide-santa:

Edited by BanginGMC

What i would really like to use a a sheet of MDF and just carpet it.. but i don't think there would be enough space between the mdf and door.. when doing this with one set of comp i just need to make sure there is enough space so the speaker mag. doesn't touch the acuall door, right?

If so, how would i space the mdf out a few inches?

What i would really like to use a a sheet of MDF and just carpet it.. but i don't think there would be enough space between the mdf and door.. when doing this with one set of comp i just need to make sure there is enough space so the speaker mag. doesn't touch the acuall door, right?

Use two pieces to double the thickness. I've never FG before, but I've spent a few hours on www.fiberglassforums.com and I now feel confident that I have the skills necessary. It's not going to be perfect my first time through, but you have to learn somewhere!

Use two pieces to double the thickness. I've never FG before, but I've spent a few hours on www.fiberglassforums.com and I now feel confident that I have the skills necessary. It's not going to be perfect my first time through, but you have to learn somewhere!

Yesterday i spent a good 4 hours on FGF and i learned a lot but it'd be easier to not glass my doors panels, and i'm going to be tearing it out when i buy 3 more sets of comps.

Do you think an inch and a half (2x 3/4MDF) would be enough for a 6.5?

I would need 2-3/4 (in) of space right?

Dimensions of 6.5

Woofer Diameter (mm): 165.1mm

Woofer Diameter (in): 6-1/2''

Woofer Mounting Diameter (mm): 135.2mm

Woofer Mounting Diameter (in): 5-5/16''

Woofer Mounting Depth (mm): 63.2mm

Woofer Mounting Depth (in): 2-1/2''

Edited by BanginGMC

One of the things you'll have to be careful with is the fact that those door panels are only held on with those plastic plugs. If you make the panel to heavy you'll have to find another way to hold the panel to the door AND still make it look good/right.

They have shallow components nowadays, check those out if you feel 4 sets are necessary. If you really want a wow factor and want to be loud then go for horns, I used to be wowed by a lot of speakers but when you can shut down a car with 8-15 interior speakers and you only have four (feels damn good and is an even better wow factor).

TheWall024.jpg

I'm home now and i am able to see this picture and i really like what you did, can you explain what you did and how you did it?

One of the things you'll have to be careful with is the fact that those door panels are only held on with those plastic plugs. If you make the panel to heavy you'll have to find another way to hold the panel to the door AND still make it look good/right.

Yeah, i will.. thank you. :)