mike445422

Are the Flatlynes for me?

So i listen to daily jeezy to daily incubus, my box is 1.8 per sub and tuned to 32hz. I purchased two 12" Flatlynes and im just not real impressed, the first one blew to the coils the first day and the second a few moments ago. My gains are set real conservatively, the amplifier a kicker sx1250.1 is set to 2v range and 6.0 db adjustment with everything eq wise totally flat. I was told it was my error for my gains but no other sub i have had has a problem with amp. box, tuning, etc. Maybe i was wrong in believing the hype that this sub sounded great had good output and killed low notes. I more or less wanted a sub that would remind me of my old si mag. i enjoyed it for the few minutes it worked and will be getting recone kits i just don't know if i should sell them or if they are reliable enough to meet my needs.

For reference my setup is as followed:

Kenwood exceleon x993

Kicker 1250.1

Eclipse 8365 3-way components

Kicker sx900.4

Eclipse kick bass kit

Kinetik Hc800.

So i listen to daily jeezy to daily incubus, my box is 1.8 per sub and tuned to 32hz. I purchased two 12" Flatlynes and im just not real impressed, the first one blew to the coils the first day and the second a few moments ago. My gains are set real conservatively, the amplifier a kicker sx1250.1 is set to 2v range and 6.0 db adjustment with everything eq wise totally flat. I was told it was my error for my gains but no other sub i have had has a problem with amp. box, tuning, etc. Maybe i was wrong in believing the hype that this sub sounded great had good output and killed low notes. I more or less wanted a sub that would remind me of my old si mag. i enjoyed it for the few minutes it worked and will be getting recone kits i just don't know if i should sell them or if they are reliable enough to meet my needs.

For reference my setup is as followed:

Kenwood exceleon x993

Kicker 1250.1

Eclipse 8365 3-way components

Kicker sx900.4

Eclipse kick bass kit

Kinetik Hc800.

idk, man my 187's will take 600 watts like a champ all day long, that seems rather odd that you blew them on that kind of power, maybe you clipped them.

Edited by dvldogyut

No not at all! The Flatlyne is strictly a SQ driver with an underhung motor design. Meant not to have high excursion capabilities.

What is the ouput voltage of your Kenwood pre-outs? You clipped your amp! That is what killed the woofers.

No not at all! The Flatlyne is strictly a SQ driver with an underhung motor design. Meant not to have high excursion capabilities.

What is the ouput voltage of your Kenwood pre-outs? You clipped your amp! That is what killed the woofers.

As far as i know it is 2v non fading, i have it set to 2v Match and 6db of gain out of 18db. I dont see how that would be clipping the signal. This is just odd because i have ran many subs off the same settings, never a problem until the flatlyne.

As far as i know it is 2v non fading, i have it set to 2v Match and 6db of gain out of 18db. I dont see how that would be clipping the signal. This is just odd because i have ran many subs off the same settings, never a problem until the flatlyne.

Here are a couple very informative links for you to read through.

Amplifier Gains and Preouts - SSA Car Audio Forum

How To: Set your Amplifier Gain - SSA Car Audio Forum

Here are a couple very informative links for you to read through.

Amplifier Gains and Preouts - SSA Car Audio Forum

How To: Set your Amplifier Gain - SSA Car Audio Forum

I am very Familier with setting a gain on an amplifier, i dmm my 4 channel but i figured how is 1/3 gain on two subs going to come close to clipping and im sure if i dmm them they will not be. I do this for a living 6 days a week and sell a competitors product Memphis, Alpine, and Kicker never have i had an expierence with any subs going this quick.

I will recone and see where i stand, anyone want a deal on 2-12" flatlyne D4s?

Edited by denim
please no selling outside of classifieds

Well man then i'm out of solutions for you! Sounds like you know what you're doing. Did you contact Incriminator about the problem to see what they say?

Price on the Lynes?

Seems a little strange to me. Are you sure you weren't sending a clipped signal? I think you should double check your gains and set them with a dmm or o-scope when you get the recones.

Whoops, sorry I now see that you already know how to do this and I must have forgot to hit refresh before I replied...

Edited by ulrisa

Well man then i'm out of solutions for you! Sounds like you know what you're doing. Did you contact Incriminator about the problem to see what they say?

Price on the Lynes?

No, i never contacted ia. I contacted my dealer and set up some recones he pretty much says what everyone says, oh its the gain you clipped it which is extremely easy to say. The VC seems really small compared to other drivers in its class the VC the flatlyne Vc is only about a 1/4" to maybe 3/8" which im sure plays into to the design.

Edited by mike445422

If you have access to an oscilloscope I would use that to just see how the sine wave looks compared to the dmm voltage reading.

hey OP they are not for you...... give em to me... ps you do this for a living. you sound like a newb

hey OP they are not for you...... give em to me... ps you do this for a living. you sound like a newb

why is that? The thing is i had subs on this amp 2 12" JLw6v2s and pulled them out and put the flatlynes in the only change i made was that i lowerd my lpf to compensate for the kick bass system. In the end i come into this situation oh well i guess thats life.

Lowering the SSF could have made them unload. Because it is an SQ driver with very LOW excursion abilities.

not to take sides or show anybody up or nething, but he said lpf...not ssf.

Oh I misread, my fault sorry OP.

Op did you ever smell the coils? Or hear any mechanical noise?

Oh I misread, my fault sorry OP.

Op did you ever smell the coils? Or hear any mechanical noise?

lol it happens to the best of us...at least u know what ur talking about, where as alot of people (myself included) have no idea about some of the questions that get posted on here.

the 6 db gain would do it.

the 6 db gain would do it.

Whats up man i didn't see you were on here, i was on team audio dynamics with you for a min. a long time ago. Have you ever played with these kicker SX amplifiers? I never would think 6db is too much gain. i have my four channel set closer to 8db on my 3 way setup.

I'm not familiar with Kicker amps and the labels they give to the dials, but when you talk about 6db out of 18db, wouldn't that be the bass boost not the gain?

Also, the Kenwood X993 HU has 4v preouts, if you set your gains to be equal to 2v input then it's possible that the gains were set too high. I'm just grabbing at straws I'm sure, but these were two things that stood out to me in this situation.

I never would think 6db is too much gain. i have my four channel set closer to 8db on my 3 way setup.

You said "6db out of 18db", which means you must be talking about the EQ network built into the amplifier. 6db of boost requires that the amplifier output 4x the power. So if you have the gain set to where the amplifier is outputting 1250w and then apply the additional 6db of boost, the amplifier will try to output 5000w of power at and near the center frequency of the EQ.

What's going to happen when that 1250w amplifier tries to output 5kw? Clipping.

Negative kicker sx amplifiers have no dials its all digtial through a controller on the dash the amp has built in DSP, Kompressor, and EQ as well as LPF, Band pass, and HPF. The Eq focus is set to flat at 60hz with a Q value of 1.0 which is nothing. As far as gain goes it has three option 1v-2v-4v. It then has an adjustment of gain in db with a high of 18db per channel and a low of 0, 0 is no gain.

That would explain the clipping then. That Kenwood unit has 4v preouts. If you had it set to 2v, then that would be like having double the input power, would it not?

That would explain the clipping then. That Kenwood unit has 4v preouts. If you had it set to 2v, then that would be like having double the input power, would it not?

i was under the impression that the non fading output was 2v, the front and rear are 4v? same as the 693? If it is not that could be it.

I have a X-991 book for it said 3 (front, rear, sub non-fade) at 4v. So I went to Kenwood's site and pulled up the book for the 993, said the same thing. The book didn't give an indication there was any difference in voltage between any of the pre outs.

Kenwood KDC-X993 Manual page 58.