shakes

1995 Chevy Suburban

Figured I'd post a build log for my truck, a buddy (John Holmes) and me are doing it. As I've said before I haven't dealt with car audio much since highschool but for whatever reason got the itch (herpes) this year. I don't really drive this truck all too often, it's primarily just used for towing although I will most likely put a few more miles on it now that it will have some sound. Did the big 3 and battery a few weeks ago but had to wait for a little nicer weather to start working on the actual sound part. Here's a quick rundown of the parts involved from front to back, it's missing stuff I know but it won't be done for a while.

Front battery: Deka 9A78DT

Headunit: Eclipse CD5030

Sound stage: Polk Audio DB461's

Sub stage: (2) Sundown Z15 D2's in 7.2ft^3 tuned to 33hz

Sub amp: Hifonics BXi2006 @ 2ohm

Stinger voltage meters front and rear

0/1 awg wire throughout

That's what will be going in the truck right away, in time I'm planning on doing something different for the soundstage along with some variation of 4 channel amp, a different sub amp that will make ~2000 watts RMS @ 2 ohm and another battery, also another alternator is most likely in order. Not the nicest, most expensive or loudest setup in the world but I don't really plan on doing anything with it besides listen to it.

Sorry I only have one picture of the box, it's not done yet but it's almost there, the baffle is just sitting on top for dramatic effect.

23987_415482156062_502421062_5639806_7643550_n.jpg

More to follow...

EDIT, I'm an idiot, it's a 94 Suburban. I can't type.

Edited by shakes

Haha, not really, but it's interesting to me. This site needs more Z15 build logs though so I guess I'm happy to facilitate.

Nice start and good list of equipment :drink40:

Here's somewhat complete. Just set the subs in to see how it looks for the pic. Still have a few screws and such to finish, and probably some paint in the port.

jaxdht.jpg

and yes, some of the cuts are off on the double baffle. That's what happens when the safety glasses you're using are blurry and full of shit. Today was better with my nice glasses.

and yes, some of the cuts are off on the double baffle. That's what happens when the safety glasses you're using are blurry and full of shit. Today was better with my nice glasses.

Nothing some sanding wont fix. Had to sand my box today before I painted it.

Looks good. :drink40:

Also, shakes is dying(sick as fuck) so I'll be putting some finishing touches and installing it tomorrow with another buddy.

Also, shakes is dying(sick as fuck) so I'll be putting some finishing touches and installing it tomorrow with another buddy.

THAT'S GOING TO SOUND GOOD WHEN YOUR DONE ! :drink40:

Edited by EJONES123

Nice equipment list and nice start!

Bad cuts....that is what a sander is for.....fing34.gif

We were going to get it in the truck last night but I was so sick I wouldn't have been able to lift up one side of the box. When we started last night working I had a little cold, but it quickly progressed, oh well, maybe I'll die.

Just sent some money for a Deka 9a31 so that should help. I'm still undecided what sub amp I'll end up with, the Hifonics is only temporary.

Edited by shakes

Got it all in last night, sounds pretty good, although I'm not sure I'm sold on the tuning that low. Just have to wait and see what changes once they get a little more broken in. I am looking forward to giving the subs the power they need though. Like an idiot I didn't take a single picture, but I'll get some tonight once I clean the truck out, it's full of shit right now.

civicburb013.jpg

Yeah, it's kind of a mess right now, but didn't want to spend too much time considering the amp is temporary, I'll post more pics as we go through and change some things. I think the box came out pretty decent considering we aren't pros.

civicburb012.jpg

What they look like from the backseat. Still plenty of cargo space.

civicburb011.jpg

Another shot.

civicburb010.jpg

Stinger voltmeter, taped up part of it since it's so damn bright at night.

civicburb009.jpg

The headunit with my fancy thumb drive in it's custom mounting spot. Notice the old remote start laying on the floor. It doesn't work and I don't have the motivation to start cutting wires just yet.

civicburb007.jpg

The truck, little bit of rust but pretty decent for $1600.

Sooner or later I'm going to carpet the box, or spray it, I don't know yet and add another baffle so it looks a little nicer.

There it is, nothing crazy but it seems to do the trick.

Off to a nice start. This is about the same set up I want for my next vehicle. Would like to see more pics as you do more to your truck.

Off to a nice start. This is about the same set up I want for my next vehicle. Would like to see more pics as you do more to your truck.

Yeah, I'll keep posting pics as time progresses, I have to as the pics I have up now are pretty embarrassing.

i've heard your not suppost to run the wires thru the port. creates a whistle or something. below the window line keeps you in a stock class in competition ... great work. :popcorn:

i've heard your not suppost to run the wires thru the port. creates a whistle or something. below the window line keeps you in a stock class in competition ... great work. :popcorn:

Yeah just did that as a temp setup. In time there will be studs through the box to connect them.

The cuts lOok gOod enough for the girls I know, hehe. Like I always say " a little putty and paint will make a carpenter what he ain't".trink40.gif

You stole that truck for $1600, the BFG's are worth half that.peepwall.gif

The cuts lOok gOod enough for the girls I know, hehe. Like I always say " a little putty and paint will make a carpenter what he ain't".trink40.gif

You stole that truck for $1600, the BFG's are worth half that.peepwall.gif

Yeah, that was my whole plan, I can sand and putty anything to perfection. It's a lot easier than learning to measure, I mean, I'm not Stephen Hawking.

Truck was a good deal, lucky for me some poor guy died and his wife traded the truck in for a new Hyundai. The Hyundai store took it to an auction where I got it, normally when I get a deal like that I never keep it but I had been looking for a clean 3/4 ton big block TBI truck for quite some time. It's good to have around but I hate to keep it considering it's a $4000 truck around here.

Also, I'll most likely be ordering a sub amp this week, looks like the Alpine MRP-M2000 wins. Once I get a little further along I'll post some better looking pictures.

The cuts lOok gOod enough for the girls I know, hehe. Like I always say " a little putty and paint will make a carpenter what he ain't".trink40.gif You stole that truck for $1600, the BFG's are worth half that.peepwall.gif
Yeah, that was my whole plan, I can sand and putty anything to perfection. It's a lot easier than learning to measure, I mean, I'm not Stephen Hawking.Truck was a good deal, lucky for me some poor guy died and his wife traded the truck in for a new Hyundai. The Hyundai store took it to an auction where I got it, normally when I get a deal like that I never keep it but I had been looking for a clean 3/4 ton big block TBI truck for quite some time. It's good to have around but I hate to keep it considering it's a $4000 truck around here.Also, I'll most likely be ordering a sub amp this week, looks like the Alpine MRP-M2000 wins. Once I get a little further along I'll post some better looking pictures.

he may be able to measure but he can't hold the saw :)

yeah that truck was a steal for $1600

never heard of any 'whistling' problems with the wires in the port

The cuts lOok gOod enough for the girls I know, hehe. Like I always say " a little putty and paint will make a carpenter what he ain't".trink40.gif You stole that truck for $1600, the BFG's are worth half that.peepwall.gif
Yeah, that was my whole plan, I can sand and putty anything to perfection. It's a lot easier than learning to measure, I mean, I'm not Stephen Hawking.Truck was a good deal, lucky for me some poor guy died and his wife traded the truck in for a new Hyundai. The Hyundai store took it to an auction where I got it, normally when I get a deal like that I never keep it but I had been looking for a clean 3/4 ton big block TBI truck for quite some time. It's good to have around but I hate to keep it considering it's a $4000 truck around here.Also, I'll most likely be ordering a sub amp this week, looks like the Alpine MRP-M2000 wins. Once I get a little further along I'll post some better looking pictures.

he may be able to measure but he can't hold the saw :)

yeah that truck was a steal for $1600

never heard of any 'whistling' problems with the wires in the port

I concluded that I must never cut wood again after being up for 24+ hours.

It's possible to get the whistle sound from having the wiring com out of the port, but that depends on how the wires are hanging.. its not a guarantee that it'll happen.

Alpine is one of my favorite companys! :fing34: Its seems like they keep advancing with their technology and their headunits are amazing!

They are getting broken in nicely. Did a mini hairtrick on shakes tonight, it was amusing. Should be interesting when he gets that alpine in and they get some power to them.

Tomorrow we're gonna try and start on the rack for the amps and such, and tidy up a bunch of wiring. Already moved amp and no longer have wires through port (that was just temp anyways)

Edited by John Holmes