ssh

I've seen this too many times

how many of you have seen inexperienced people buy amps for the peak number to match up with their subs... I know my amp sucks but that's also why i'm replacing it all :D

Last night I went to radioshack with my friend for something and in the parking lot this dude was wiring up his subs. So I walked over and was giving him a hand and what not.

He's like "yeah I just got this amp and it does like 1200watts which is perfect cause my subs need 600 each. I don't want to be a dick and rain on his parade but i'm thinking actually that amps only doing like 300watts...

anyone else have any stories they care to share :P

not necessarily directly related, but still relevant with the whole "noob" topic.

A kid thinking his prefab bandpass plexi enclosure is better than my 32hz ported enclosure. Mostly due to the fact that mine uses MDF.

oh, and this is fun, same guy thinking his two 12'' sony explodes will be louder than my 18 BTL.

People telling my that my Sundown is crap because it's not well known.

I was just up in San Marcos with a few dudes here on SSA metering our cars when some buddy rolled up and told us we should ditch our shit and get Kicker. Needless to say, when he got a demo from 2 15" Nightshades on a Sundown 3k he changed his mind.

One of my friend says that having (2) 8" subs is like having (1) 16" sub :suicide-santa:

Also, another one of these guys I met says that porting a box is taking a drill and drilling a hole in the box :)

Edited by BaMF101

my experience with noobs happen to be in a well known brick and morter electronics store where i was shopping for speaker wire. keep in mind it was for the surround speakers in my home theater. the just had real small gauge (like 14 ga.) i asked if they had any larger cause i was running several feet. she said, "heres some 16 gauge".... strike 1. i then had to explain that as the numbers got smaller the gauge of the wire gets larger. ok so they didnt have anything for me in the home dept. so i asked if they had any bigger wire in the car audio section. her reply was "no that wire uses different ends"! i politely said thank you and walked away. had a good chuckle all the way home :ehh:

it's funny but it's also quite frustrating when they don't know what the f*** there talking about yet they'll talk s*** about quality products like sa or sundown. I haven't ran into anyone with any caps yet... but i'm sure it'll happen haha

I always like to watch the SMD videos on youtube and see peoples reactions, but whenever I read the comments I get pissed. For instance one person said "silly man, that car is supposed to be played at a beach for a party, not when your in it..."

or "that sounds like s***, my sony xplods sound better" and they never realize a crap camera isn't going to be able to record low frequency.

MY funny story is when I was selling my MRP-m650 w/cap and my type-r 12. Before you give me shit for the cap, MY wife bought it for me about 7-8 yrs ago w/ a MTX sub for my b-day I think. I knew it wasn't doing anything but was a gift and everyone that seen the cap was SOOO intrigued.haha.

ANYWAYS the funny shit is when I went to sell everything in the local newspaper. I sold the amp and cap together to a kid that had just bought some Polk 15"s off of someone else. HE was a complete moron. I asked him the RMS of the subs and he didn't know. I told him to ask the guy he was getting them from, and he said the guy told him 1500 peak ,haha. I tryed asking how he was going to wire the subs up but he didn't know what I was talking about. He problably ended up running the amp 4 or 8ohm or something stupid I'm sure. haha.I got like 50 calls for that stupid cap I just had to laugh every time.

The ad was free so I could only use so many words. Well the sub didn't sell with my first ad which described the sub and box breifly. Then the next time I just put 1500watt sub and I sold the thing a day later. I then got like 50 calls for the 1500 WATT SUB, I had laugh. Everyone though the sub produces 1500 watts of power, FUCKIN' MORONS.

Funny thing about the Sony subs is a friend just gave me 3 10"s and 3 12"s sonys, NOW I just need to sell them by thier peak number, haha.peepwall.gif

haha nice story j-roadtatts

yesterday my friend sent me a txt with a picture of his new subs, I zoomed in and saw it was 2 10" sony xplods in a prefab box (at this point im thinking, what the f*** was he thinking...), So I go over to his house and he tells me he bought them at a yard sale for 40 bucks and is just gonna resell'em

Just for kicks we wired up an old RF amp and ran them in his car along with his 2 12" RF punches... so ghetto haha.

MY funny story is when I was selling my MRP-m650 w/cap and my type-r 12. Before you give me shit for the cap, MY wife bought it for me about 7-8 yrs ago w/ a MTX sub for my b-day I think. I knew it wasn't doing anything but was a gift and everyone that seen the cap was SOOO intrigued.haha.

ANYWAYS the funny shit is when I went to sell everything in the local newspaper. I sold the amp and cap together to a kid that had just bought some Polk 15"s off of someone else. HE was a complete moron. I asked him the RMS of the subs and he didn't know. I told him to ask the guy he was getting them from, and he said the guy told him 1500 peak ,haha. I tryed asking how he was going to wire the subs up but he didn't know what I was talking about. He problably ended up running the amp 4 or 8ohm or something stupid I'm sure. haha.I got like 50 calls for that stupid cap I just had to laugh every time.

The ad was free so I could only use so many words. Well the sub didn't sell with my first ad which described the sub and box breifly. Then the next time I just put 1500watt sub and I sold the thing a day later. I then got like 50 calls for the 1500 WATT SUB, I had laugh. Everyone though the sub produces 1500 watts of power, FUCKIN' MORONS.

Funny thing about the Sony subs is a friend just gave me 3 10"s and 3 12"s sonys, NOW I just need to sell them by thier peak number, haha.peepwall.gif

Peak power is what sales and not RMS, some people dont even pay attention to rms and say my amp was $100 but it has 5500 watts peak so Im gonna be loud. It kills me everytime.

Peak power is what sales and not RMS, some people dont even pay attention to rms and say my amp was $100 but it has 5500 watts peak so Im gonna be loud. It kills me everytime.

yep yep, my friend that has the punches (i was talking about in the other thread lol) has an amp that only puts out 300watts but since it says 900watts max on it he thinks it does 900watts rms...

My subs are eleventybillion watts peak power, so?

My subs are eleventybillion watts peak power, so?

must be the new sony xplod model eh?

Years ago, when caps became really popular, a kid in town got a complete DEI system installed in his truck. A friend of mine said that this kid had a cap, which is why it sounded better at long distances. :orly3:

yea i put this in another post also but on the 36mafia song late night tip my amp cuts out and my freind told me it was cuz the song was made for 15's not 12's..............really right now

yea i put this in another post also but on the 36mafia song late night tip my amp cuts out and my freind told me it was cuz the song was made for 15's not 12's..............really right now

haha, that's too funny :P

_thwack__by_zacthetoad.gif

This thread is just too funny lol!!!

When I bought my first sub, a Fi X 12. I was showing it to this dude who lives by Kicker's CVR. It was in a sealed box that was originally build for a 10.. So it was only like .5 cuft with like 200 watts powering the sub. Well since it wasn't very impressive, he said that Fi stands for "pucking Idiot." Even after I explained that the X was the lowest RMS sub they produce..

This is the same guy who build a ported box where the port was "designed" to have more port area in one section than the other.. lol. It wasn't a horn. The port started out like 3 inches wide and ended up 6 inches wide inside the box... yea..

My favorite is wen ppl get a blazer or tahoe or any suv an put lik 100 different kinda 12s in it with a power acoustic 5500 an say my amp is 2300rms at 2oms as I say Nooo WAYYY they go OHH YEAA.

Jus love stupid ppl

Lol it hapend to me today, I was having a garage sale today and some kids came buy and saw my fi q siting inside my garage and they wanted to check it out so I showed

them it, I told them fi has the best prices on quality subs and then one kid said "how is it qality when it's made of

paper?, it has to be made of plasic and shaped different to be good" I realy find it funy when people say these kinds of things, it's almost as bad as people saying you can make a sub explode by underpowering it. Lol

I went to a local car audio shop looking for 12 gauge speaker wire and was asked why when 16 gauge was good enough for any sub :suicide-santa: . When I told him I was running a 15 on 2K he said well thats alot of power, you better use 8 gauge :suicide-santa: . Then proceded to have his flunkie go out in the install bay and return with 2 ~8 foot runs of 8 gauge, one + and one - that had just been removed from a customer's car (you could see the bends from it being ran and it was corroded green on the ends. He tried to sell it to me for $2 a foot :suicide-santa: . I politely refused and have not been back since.

Oh yeah, lol. The first thing he said to me when I told him what equipment I had was "Your first mistake was not buying from me!" Lulz. It was a Kicker/JL Audio/Street Wires store.

Edited by PHATBOi

i like it when people sell stuff on craigslist or whatever, and they will sell the subs and amp together and they will say "the explode amp is 1200 watts and the subs are 1200 watts a peice so there is 3600 watts of POWER!"

i find it funny when noobs buy car audio system and turn the gains on their amps up to the max then complain when their subs blow with in a week

i find it funny when noobs buy car audio system and turn the gains on their amps up to the max then complain when their subs blow with in a week

All to comon