mwoehr

Is this true about Alpine decks?

I have an Alpine CDA-9886. The way have mine set is I have the sub out on 15 and the gain on my amp set at a moderate level. I notice a when play it at 20 it'll be hitting good, but when I turn it up past 20, that bass stays at the same level and doesn't get louder. My friend said it's my deck and he has had simular problems with Alpine's and has me interested in a nice Pioneer deck if my deck is the problem. I'd like a 2nd opinion from you guys.

Definetly not the deck. You are just reaching the mechanical limits of the sub, but because its so hard to tell when a sub is stressed. So turn the sub control down a little.

Definetly not the deck. You are just reaching the mechanical limits of the sub, but because its so hard to tell when a sub is stressed. So turn the sub control down a little.

I'm pretty sure they can get louder than I'm playing them though. It's a pair of SSA Dcon 12s powered by a RF Power series 500 watt amp.

I'm pretty sure they can get louder than I'm playing them though. It's a pair of SSA Dcon 12s powered by a RF Power series 500 watt amp.

my brother had the same problem, check your fuses

Do you have any bass boost on or the EQ boosted for the sub?

Do you have the "sub system" setting on 1 or 2? On setting #2 the sub volume is independent until 20 on the volume, at or above twenty on the volume knob the sub volume level is no longer independent. on setting #1 the sub volume is NOT independent but equel with the main volume at all times.

Turn ALL bass boost off and set the EQ flat and report back.

Do you have any bass boost on or the EQ boosted for the sub?

Do you have the "sub system" setting on 1 or 2? On setting #2 the sub volume is independent until 20 on the volume, at or above twenty on the volume knob the sub volume level is no longer independent. on setting #1 the sub volume is NOT independent but equel with the main volume at all times.

Turn ALL bass boost off and set the EQ flat and report back.

My deck's sub setting is on 1. As for the bass boost and eq, do you mean on the deck or amp?

my brother had the exact same problem with his Alpine deck and one day we fished around and found a blown fuse, funny thing was is that the audio shop said the deck is broken, switched out the fuse with another and it was golden

Interesting about the fuses. It is always good to check the simple stuff first, and cheaper.tongue.gif

Does anyone know which fuse was blown? i.e. back of HU or somewhere else?unsure.gif

I've never experienced that with my Alpine deck. My first instinct was also to tell you that you are reaching the mechanical limits of the sub and it won't get any louder. But sounds like the fuse thing may have validity.

Where is the fuse? On the back of the deck?

I know theres one back of the HU you could check, also check you amp as some have multible fuses. This is the first time I have heard of this fuse thing SO I recommend check ALL the fuses you can find.

Otherwise you could run RCA's from someone elses cars HU and see if it's the signal or not? that would be the first test I would try after checking ALL fuses and settings.smile.gif

Alpine decks FTW.. i think they are the best for function. I doubt its the deck.

You should not be using bass boost on the deck or the amp.

If the bass boost is off though, won't I have to turn up the gain to make up for the loss?

If the bass boost is off though, won't I have to turn up the gain to make up for the loss?

The gain is not a volume knob... ina sense.

You set the gain to match the voltage of your headunit.

You use bass boost to fry your subs coils.

If it's not loud enough more gain wont help you, buy a bigger amp.

No you dont turn your gain up to make up for not using bass boost, you turn your gain where it is supposed to be to avoid clipping (it needs to match signal with the headunits pre out voltage).

WOA! No no no. Is your gain set with a DMM? If you make sure your bass boost is off and set your gains with DMM you will be A LOT better off. With bass boost and gain set by ear it's more than likely you are clipping the signal to your subs. Just my .02

Yeah same thing that everyone else is saying, especially about your gain and bass boost issue.

I have that deck and I have NOT experienced your issue. I think it's safe to say that the deck is not to blame