Sign in to follow this  
RaTtLz

wiring subs to amp

Hi guys, within the next couple weeks I'll be getting my new amp that is a mono with only 1 set of speaker inputs (1 + and 1-). I have 2 speakers. Any ideas on how to mate the wires with the amp? My thought was to just get a couple of distro blocks instead of cramming wires into the amp. Thanks

For all you info freaks I will be wiring it this way: (4 ohm-----4 ohm) (4 ohm----4 ohm)

(2 ohm) (2 ohm)

(1 ohm)

Another possibility that just came to mind is putting ring terminals on then bolting them together. what about just soldering all the leads pos. leads together then heat shrink (same with the neg. side)? Just brainstorming here. I know its best to have as few "joints" in the connection as possible.

What amp?

no idea what amp he has but he type it down to 1 ohm so my guess is a 1 ohm stable amp :ehh:

Hi guys, within the next couple weeks I'll be getting my new amp that is a mono with only 1 set of speaker inputs (1 + and 1-). I have 2 speakers. Any ideas on how to mate the wires with the amp? My thought was to just get a couple of distro blocks instead of cramming wires into the amp. Thanks

For all you info freaks I will be wiring it this way: (4 ohm-----4 ohm) (4 ohm----4 ohm)

(2 ohm) (2 ohm)

(1 ohm)

Another possibility that just came to mind is putting ring terminals on then bolting them together. what about just soldering all the leads pos. leads together then heat shrink (same with the neg. side)? Just brainstorming here. I know its best to have as few "joints" in the connection as possible.

You're making it way more complicated than it is.

Just wire the drivers in parallel-parallel as in the image above. No need to wire the drivers to the amplifier separately.

What amp?

I am ordering a Soundstream Rubicon 2500

Class D Rubicon Mono Channel Amplifier

RMS Power: 1 x 1700 Watts @ 2 Ohm

RMS Power: 1 x 2500 Watts @ 1 Ohm

THD: 0.50%

Frequency Response: 15Hz - 150KHz

S/N: 95dB

Damping Factor: >350

Sensitivity: 100mV - 2V or 2V - 8V

Low Pass Filter: 50Hz - 150Hz @ 12dB

Bass Boost: 0- 18dB @ 45Hz

Subsonic Filter: 10 - 40Hz @12dB

Phase Control: 180

Dash Mounted Remote Gain Control

Dimensions: 20.875" (L) x 8" (W) x 2" (H)

Midnight Blue Finish w/ Brushed Accents

Regulated MOSFET Pulse Width Modulated Power Supply

Three-Way Protection Circuitry (Thermal, Short, Impedance)

Twin Stack Technology TM (strap amps together for double power)

Delayed On/Off Circuit

Pre-Amp Output

0 Ga. Power Terminals

8 Ga. Speaker Terminals

That should work nice for my titanium elites :woot:

Nice looking amplifier!

Are those Elites dual 4 ohm?

Nice looking amplifier!

Are those Elites dual 4 ohm?

yes they are

(2 ohm) (2 ohm)

(1 ohm)

You're making it way more complicated than it is.

Just wire the drivers in parallel-parallel as in the image above. No need to wire the drivers to the amplifier separately.

I wasn't sure how to word it but on my box each speaker will have it's own terminal cup. so coming from the box there will be 2 +'s and 2 -'s going to the amp.

Sorry for the confusion! I know what I'm trying to say

Are there two separate enclosures, or a single enclosure? You said "box", singular, in which case I would presume both subwoofers will be in the same enclosure. In which case, why are you bothering with two terminal cups? Just wire them as in the picture and run a one pair of wires to the amplifier. Two separate terminal cups would be completely unnecessary.

Are there two separate enclosures, or a single enclosure? You said "box", singular, in which case I would presume both subwoofers will be in the same enclosure. In which case, why are you bothering with two terminal cups? Just wire them as in the picture and run a one pair of wires to the amplifier. Two separate terminal cups would be completely unnecessary.

yes 1 single sealed box with divider in the middle

i dont know if this would be thread jacking or just adding on to the question but which set of ( - ) ( + ) terminals do you use on a mono amp, cause they give two sets...

if it is jacking ill delete and start a new one.

i dont know if this would be thread jacking or just adding on to the question but which set of ( - ) ( + ) terminals do you use on a mono amp, cause they give two sets...

there is only 1 set of speaker terminals on the amp.

Then ditch the idea of dual terminal cups, drill a hole in the divider to wire the subwoofers together in parallel-parallel as pictured in the diagram, and run one speaker wire to the amplifier.

Problem solved. Not seeing the big issue here?

it doesnt matter, both + and both - meet inside anyways so there is really just 1+ and 1-. they put 2 there in case you have two subs, resulting in split power between the two if you use both. or other various wiring configs.

Then ditch the idea of dual terminal cups, drill a hole in the divider to wire the subwoofers together in parallel-parallel as pictured in the diagram, and run one speaker wire to the amplifier.

Problem solved. Not seeing the big issue here?

Right. Rattlz, having each sub in its own sealed enclosure is really unnecessary. Instead think of the center divider as a good brace. Drilling a hole through it will have absolutely no effect on the sound. Just wire the two subs to one terminal cup on the inside, that way you only have one set of wires going to the amp.

If you are dead set on having two terminal cups and thus two wires to the amp, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to plug both into the amp's terminals. Chances are the amp's terminals accept at least 8 gauge for speaker wire, and there's really no reason to use over 10-12 gauge wire to the subs. Those should be able to both fit inside the terminal. If not, there's nothing wrong with cutting a couple strands off of each wire to make them fit. But for the record, I got two 12 gauge wires to fit with plenty of room left over in my amp's terminals.