Sign in to follow this  
wof131s

2.7" Coils

I have a JL 13W6v2 motor that Ive had laying around now for a while. Am looking to buy a 2.7" voice coil to rebuild it without spending a arm and a leg for it with JL. I can find other soft parts that would work but finding a coil is a bitch. Can anyone help me out here in any way? I dont wanna get rid of it, I think its a decent motor other than the gap size.

Thanks

Edited by wof131s

Everything I've ever heard is you either send it into JL, or you have a fancy paperweight.

Good luck on your quest though.

They probably make it so that you have to send it into them and cannot grab some off-the-shelf recone.

You may try contacting TeamPSI to see if he can get ahold of anything.

Why you would want to mix-n-match parts on a good woofer like the W6v2 and in turn end up with something craptastic instead, I'm not sure. A good motor with cobbled together parts doesn't make a for good subwoofer.

IMO either send it back to JL for a recone or use it as a doorstop rather than spending money on assembling random parts to create a subpar subwoofer.

REALLY!! How many "good" woofers out there are having a custom recone done. If you would like to spend $250+ to get something done that would cost less than $100 bucks elsewhere then be "your" guess. I would rather spend my money the way I want, with the product of my choice and get an even better results. So with that said, let me use what I have the way I want, IF I CAN FIND A COIL, LOL. Thanks for the input though.

Why you would want to mix-n-match parts on a good woofer like the W6v2 and in turn end up with something craptastic instead, I'm not sure. A good motor with cobbled together parts doesn't make a for good subwoofer.

IMO either send it back to JL for a recone or use it as a doorstop rather than spending money on assembling random parts to create a subpar subwoofer.

fix my speaker.com is Dave from PSI, talk to him see what he says, it's probably a no. but its worth a try.

Edited by Julian

REALLY!! How many "good" woofers out there are having a custom recone done. If you would like to spend $250+ to get something done that would cost less than $100 bucks elsewhere then be "your" guess. I would rather spend my money the way I want, with the product of my choice and get an even better results. So with that said, let me use what I have the way I want, IF I CAN FIND A COIL, LOL. Thanks for the input though.

I really doubt you know what's going to be better for the JL motor than JL does. After all, who spent millions on R&D? You or JL?

Just saying, you're pretty much ruining resale value on it as well. It's an SQ subwoofer, good at sounding good.

It's not some fart machine that you cobble together using bastard parts to hit 150+dB where it doesn't matter if it sounds good or not.

Actually, it was probably thousands on R&D, but still.

As much as JL shit costs, I would hope its millions. :ehh:

REALLY!! How many "good" woofers out there are having a custom recone done.

Just because a good woofer has a custom recone, it doesn't mean it continues to be a good woofer with the new "custom" parts on it. Half of the time the people with those "custom" woofers don't even know the T/S parameters of the woofers they've created (or purchased). The performance of a subwoofer is a result of the sum of it's parts. A good motor without the original parts but instead a "custom recone" done will not necessarily have performance anywhere close to the original.

If you would like to spend $250+ to get something done that would cost less than $100 bucks elsewhere then be "your" guess.

You are assuming the performance will be identical between the two. This is not necessarily the case. Just because you tossed a recone into the motor of a w6v2 does not mean you will have performance equivalent to that of a w6v2 unless you used parts identical to the original. So no, you are not necessarily going to get the "same thing" for $100 instead of $250. You may have an operational subwoofer, but that doesn't mean it will be equal in performance to a w6v2 just because you used that motor.

and get an even better results.

LOL....yeah, right. So, tell me, how about did you go about designing this new custom driver to improve results over the original?

I've ranted about this before, but this ridiculous "recone boner" going around the forums leaves n00bs like yourself under the delusion that anyone can just mix-n-match parts onto a motor and come out with great results. It's not the case. Half of the people with these "custom subs" wouldn't know a good subwoofer design or performance from their asshole, yet they parade around the forums about how great their sub is because it's "custom". There is a reason subwoofer companies spend months to years designing and testing a subwoofer before bringing it to market. It's not because they are just randomly tossing parts together like so many of these "custom recones".

:+1::werd_msword:

I really doubt you know what's going to be better for the JL motor than JL does. After all, who spent millions on R&D? You or JL?

Just saying, you're pretty much ruining resale value on it as well. It's an SQ subwoofer, good at sounding good.

It's not some fart machine that you cobble together using bastard parts to hit 150+dB where it doesn't matter if it sounds good or not.

I never said that I was trying to hit 150+dB. I just wanted to have it rebuilt for my own personal uses not to compete or anything of the sort.

REALLY!! How many "good" woofers out there are having a custom recone done.

Just because a good woofer has a custom recone, it doesn't mean it continues to be a good woofer with the new "custom" parts on it. Half of the time the people with those "custom" woofers don't even know the T/S parameters of the woofers they've created (or purchased). The performance of a subwoofer is a result of the sum of it's parts. A good motor without the original parts but instead a "custom recone" done will not necessarily have performance anywhere close to the original.

If you would like to spend $250+ to get something done that would cost less than $100 bucks elsewhere then be "your" guess.

You are assuming the performance will be identical between the two. This is not necessarily the case. Just because you tossed a recone into the motor of a w6v2 does not mean you will have performance equivalent to that of a w6v2 unless you used parts identical to the original. So no, you are not necessarily going to get the "same thing" for $100 instead of $250. You may have an operational subwoofer, but that doesn't mean it will be equal in performance to a w6v2 just because you used that motor.

and get an even better results.

LOL....yeah, right. So, tell me, how about did you go about designing this new custom driver to improve results over the original?

I've ranted about this before, but this ridiculous "recone boner" going around the forums leaves n00bs like yourself under the delusion that anyone can just mix-n-match parts onto a motor and come out with great results. It's not the case. Half of the people with these "custom subs" wouldn't know a good subwoofer design or performance from their arseho, yet they parade around the forums about how great their sub is because it's "custom". There is a reason subwoofer companies spend months to years designing and testing a subwoofer before bringing it to market. It's not because they are just randomly tossing parts together like so many of these "custom recones".

LOL. All this name calling and putting custom build companies down really cracks me up. Lalala noob this lalala noob that, the woofer wont perform the same this, that and the next, whatever. Um, noob is this a new word for you or something, notice its been thrown around a lot lately. Anyway, everyone has their own opinion on everything and I guess you have yours, but I also have mines. So you do you and ill do the same. Thanks for the input though.

I never said that I was trying to hit 150+dB. I just wanted to have it rebuilt for my own personal uses not to compete or anything of the sort.

I wasn't implying that you were, I was using custom recones as an example. Thanks for being so uptight about it though. Don't ask for advice if you're not going to follow any of it.

I wasn't implying that you were, I was using custom recones as an example. Thanks for being so uptight about it though. Don't ask for advice if you're not going to follow any of it.

x2, dude nobody is hurting you everybody is helping you. They are telling you the best place to get it reconed, simple as that. Now if you dont want to take there advice then go your own way, you should of known it would be expensive to fix it is JL Audio with special parts.

Would a custom re-cone work by another group, yes but will it perform and sound the same probably not. Would it be wise to get it fixed by another company when the same company who built it can build it, no. But at the end of the day it is your money and your equipment, but stop getting your panties in a bunch from the responses you receive. Read the rules, they state:

13) If you start a thread, you must be willing to ACCEPT advice even if you don�t like it.

So just take it and move on, either use the advice or lose the advice. :peepwall: