CrownVic

2000 police interceptor build log

Well i did some work today and got back on schedule.

I ran the power wire under the car to the trunk, and also got new battery terminals and installed them.

All I need now is to do the grounds for the big 3 and run the ground for the amp!

Also the amp should be here Friday the 13th. So 2 more days :drink40:

Edit: Fixed my computer so i can post pics but lost my camera.

Ill find my camera and post pics tomorrow.

Also with the positive of the big 3 ran my voltage sits at 13.9 idle with air off.

Edited by CrownVic

I did the chassis to battery ground of the big three tonight. What a pain that was, nothing would just work right.

Now my voltage sits at 14.1 though.

I also got my sub secured and wired up to a 1 ohm load. I still need to find a good ground spot for the amp and add a engine to chassis ground, but hopefully im off work tomorrow so I will have time, I wanna have everything done when the amp arrives so all I have to do is set it and plug it in.

There will be videos when the amp arrives, hopefully my voltage will stay decent.

Your going about this right so keep up the good work and good luck with install. Cant wait for more pictures :popcorn:

Thanks man. Im lookin for the camera now.

Here are a couple pics I'll get more later there in reverse order.

Heres where I had to drill into the trunk.

031.jpg

030.jpg

wires running under the car.

029.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

The pic of the port is to show where the carpet got melted when I was painting it then it exploded :suicide-santa: .

This is why everything is hard, its been about a week since the burn.

033.jpg

032.jpg

Edited by CrownVic

For a ground in the trunk, there are already a few holes you can use that are perfect. If your trunk is exactly like mine, one set of them is around the emergency fuel pump shut off area but closer to the top and the trunk latch. Another set can be found on the opposite side. That made sense to me so hopefully you can figure out what I mean. :P Just sand the area down and buy some screws, bolts, and washers from your local hardware store.

Edited by inkfx

holy fuck dude that hand looks awful it was still that flammable after letting it set for 10 minutes? what brand paint was it?

Thanks for the info Inkfx.

Yea it was just regular flat black spray spraypaint, the cheap crap at walmart, I guess all the fumes stayed in the box thats why it did what it did. It scared the shit out of me, I lit the lighter to look at it then a huge ball of fire just shot out the port, I got lucky that all i got was my hand burned because it singed the hell out of my hair on my head and burnt off my beard. Its all good though, some things you gotta learn the hard way. :drink40:

Well all wiring is ran and all I gotta do is hook the amp up tomorrow when it arrives. UPS is saying its on schedule so Ill charge the camera tonight and there will be more pics and videos tomorrow. Also snapped some pics of the final install minus the amp but my cameras dead, pics will be up in a little while though.

Thanks man.

Also I talked to a local AutoRadio store today and to my suprise they didn't know anyone with a TL :suicide-santa:. Also the manager/owner informed me that the AQ 2200d would only put out around 1kw at 1 ohm :orly3:.

What the fuck?

Thanks man.

Also I talked to a local AutoRadio store today and to my suprise they didn't know anyone with a TL :suicide-santa:. Also the manager/owner informed me that the AQ 2200d would only put out around 1kw at 1 ohm :orly3:.

What the fuck?

Yea I lol'ed when he said that.

On another note here are some pics:

Random bag of nuts I found in my trunk

002-4.jpg

Before the carpets in place.

001-4.jpg

The ground

004-4.jpg

All the wires ran under the carpet. Ill cut them to length once I get the amp mounted.

003-4.jpg

Hey i have a 2007 Grand Marq. if you need any pointers on that car i'd be glad to help! 1 thing that helped my sub stage out tremendously was cutting out the back deck to allow the air to "port" through the rear deck. The trunk of those cars is so sealed off from the cabin that there's hardly anywhere for the air to travel through. Also, the bass will destroy your rear deck speakers, just a fyi.

Ive heard that before about the rear deck cutting but I didn't think about the speakers getting messed up. Im gonna see how it sounds but I'll probably end up gutting the rear deck. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also next projects for this car will be batteries and mids and highs. Im probably gonna go with a componet set in the front but it will be a while because Ill have to get an amp too. Ill see how it sounds tomorrow though.

On the left and right of the box in that area behind the wheel wells. Hopefully I won't F*** anything up running it before the batteries get in with super low voltage. That still reminds me I need a voltmeter Ill crank it up and watch my voltage with my DMM for a while to see how goes at first though. I have a feeling I'll be late for work messing with this thing tomorrow :woot: .

Edited by CrownVic

On the left and right of the box in that area behind the wheel wells. Hopefully I won't F*** anything up running it before the batteries get in with super low voltage. That still reminds me I need a voltmeter Ill crank it up and watch my voltage with my DMM for a while to see how goes at first though. I have a feeling I'll be late for work messing with this thing tomorrow :woot: .

Just watch your voltage and dont crank it to the max before you get the batts. in. I wouldnt run it below 12.5 in any case.

Just watch your voltage and dont crank it to the max before you get the batts. in. I wouldnt run it below 12.5 in any case.

I definately won't run it that low. Im gonna see how it does and as long as it doesn't dip below 13v with the air off ill be good for a little while.

Easy there pyroboy O.o

kool man, have fun with your setup. That damn air compressor sure does kill amperage..

Yea unfortunately and its gonna be 95* tomorrow with like 93% humidity, Its so hot I cant roll down my windows to smoke without sweatin my balls off. :suicide-santa:

kool man, have fun with your setup. That damn air compressor sure does kill amperage..

Yea unfortunately and its gonna be 95* tomorrow with like 93% humidity, Its so hot I cant roll down my windows to smoke without sweatin my balls off. :suicide-santa:

Easy solution, stop smoking :P

I got the amp installed and my first thoughts were WOW its loud as fuck. I honestly thought it would be louder though but on the downside my sub makes a loud slapping sound :puzzled:. Other than that it sounds good digs the lows and sets off alarms. Its freaking awesome! I was driving through a neighborhood and set an alarm off on an F-250. My voltage stays at about 13.3-4 on a long bass note like in BME click. Ill take pics in vids tomorrow in the daylight. It also made my license plate screw fall out.

And to BanginGMC unwrapping that serious ass packing you did was the longest 40 seconds of my life.

The subwoofer is reaching its mechanical limits, dial down your gains. you'll destroy the woofers if you continue.

Im pretty sure thats not it because it does is on low power also its just not as noticable, Ive heard a sub bottom out before its not really like that I think its tinsel slap from what Ive read but I really am not sure. Im positive its not that also because It did it when I hooked it up to my kicker 300.1 (300 watts rms) tomorrow ill take a video of it.