ssh

Steel Enclosure

As the title says, has anyone ever built a steel enclosure? Does it sound any different? Just curious if its been done, if anything was gained, etc.

This is more geared for spl :P

A good enclosure has no sound. A strong enclosure is not always good for SPL.

A good enclosure has no sound. A strong enclosure is not always good for SPL.

I'll rephrase then, how does it effect the sound outputted? that work for ya? m5 ;):P

Could you expand on a strong enclosure not always being good for spl?

Since I got you in the thread, I mine as well learn something from you too :drink40:

Edited by stefanhinote

Steel is generally quite expensive. Most people use concrete... or layers of wood

concrete, hmm :P

Doesn't Alan Dante use a concrete box for his DDZ?

Doesn't Alan Dante use a concrete box for his DDZ?

haha yeah googled it and found this: My link

tuned at 61hz lol

Edited by stefanhinote

no, he just uses concrete, period!

Just with any form of build with a goal toward highest pressure possible.. there are things u sometimes have to sacrifice to compensate for other things....

If you use concrete poured between walls, you MUST reinforce the outer box\wall with steel\angle iron and anchor it to the car on ALL sides.

If you choose to use concrete.. look at how heavy it will be... an 80lb of concrete typically only fills 0.6cuft... add that weight on top of water mixed with it....

Concrete must be at least 2" thick or it will\may crack.

If using concrete, let cure for 7days minimum, 28 days for full cure.

Alternative to concrete and other variations that equal the same weight displacement-

Multi layers of wood reinforced with steel\angle iron.

I believe what M5 is referring to is if the box is SOOOO rigid, it's resonance may so high in the box that it may negatively effect the pressure inside the car based upon the vehicle's resonance.

I've been doin some research on concrete for daily drivers... it's only likely to work if it's a non-walled, small box to medium sized box.

You would more than likely need air ride AND your drivetrain and engine must be capable of hauling this weight...

For daily drivers, it's more practical to use wood and steel if your car can support the weight.

I know its not practical, just curious about the outcome of it. Thanks for informative post shizzzon

for a speaker enclosure, you'd want a material that has high density, low resonant frequency, and is resistant to flexing. You want something as inert as possible, acoustically.

Any flexation in the enclosure will color the output by altering the volume of the enclosure. Any resonance in the enclosure can cause harmonics and color the output.

A good material (without being impractically havy) is birch plywood.

If you want to see esoteric and expensive, take a look at the Krell Master Reference subwoofer.

1" thick aluminum billet enclosure, 2600 watts, and a pair of TC Sounds 15" subs.. for home audio.

for a speaker enclosure, you'd want a material that has high density, low resonant frequency, and is resistant to flexing. You want something as inert as possible, acoustically.

Any flexation in the enclosure will color the output by altering the volume of the enclosure. Any resonance in the enclosure can cause harmonics and color the output.

A good material (without being impractically havy) is birch plywood.

If you want to see esoteric and expensive, take a look at the Krell Master Reference subwoofer.

1" thick aluminum billet enclosure, 2600 watts, and a pair of TC Sounds 15" subs.. for home audio.

That's pretty wild looking, thanks for link :P

I use steel and MDF...

DSC01233.jpg

talk about no box flex..lmfao!

:) 1x2" .120" wall mechanical tubing. It..doesn't go anywhere lol.

:) 1x2" .120" wall mechanical tubing. It..doesn't go anywhere lol.

haha, thats sweet

I use steel and MDF...

Where can we see the build?

I use steel and MDF...

Where can we see the build?

It's a secret

I built a small vented box out of 1/4" aluminum about 4 years ago. I think the price of raw materials would be at least $200 now, not to include the 10 hours or so it took me to fabricate and TIG weld the whole thing together...

Heavy Metal - Forceaudio

I built a small vented box out of 1/4" aluminum about 4 years ago. I think the price of raw materials would be at least $200 now, not to include the 10 hours or so it took me to fabricate and TIG weld the whole thing together...

Heavy Metal - Forceaudio

cool looking box ;)

I use steel and MDF...

DSC01233.jpg

damn you could cage a 1000lb wild hog in that thing. thats some nice work you got right there

I use steel and MDF...

DSC01233.jpg

damn you could cage a 1000lb wild hog in that thing. thats some nice work you got right there

rofl, you could...

I use steel and MDF...

...that's not a moon, it's a space station!

(I couldn't resist)

it's G-14 classified lmao.

It'l show up again one of these days

DAMN........WoW..........I'm speechless.....

This is going to be interesting! :popcorn: