cougarballa2k5

Update On My RL-ps

Well, right now they are housed in 5.5NET @ 37hz w/ 70in^2 port area. Not what I call an ideal box.

They are loud, but not by my standards. New box will be had in less than a month

6 Cubes NET, 33hz, 91in^ port area and threaded rod bracing.

The port velocity in the current box is ridiculous, blows harder than fudge, and has got to be hurting my output. Also I have serious flex issues, like the baffle actually has an xmax :-p.

From what I've seen out of them thus far, I have a feeling that in about 1 month, I am going to be very, very loud.

Well, right now they are housed in 5.5NET @ 37hz w/ 70in^2 port area.  Not what I call an ideal box.

They are loud, but not by my standards.  New box will be had in less than a month

6 Cubes NET, 33hz, 91in^ port area and threaded rod bracing.

The port velocity in the current box is ridiculous, blows harder than fudge, and has got to be hurting my output.  Also I have serious flex issues, like the baffle actually has an xmax :-p.

From what I've seen out of them thus far, I have a feeling that in about 1 month, I am going to be very, very loud.

why the wait for the new box? go get your mdf and get your tools out :slayer:

I am very curious,

it is fun, because cougar is taking the testing and design trials that jelly did, and he is expanding on them with the same subs,

I don't have my garage anymore, so I am getting Ibanender to build it for me. Hoping to meet him at a show Sept 10th and pick it up.

How much does flexing hurt output? Its not like 10mm xmax lol, but it sure is flexing.

I have great expectations, before its all over -- this chit is going to be LOUD.

EDIT - And are you sure that port velocity doesn't hurt output???

The new port will have 30% more area. Should lessen my velocity problem.

Could you guys please explain port velocity.

Thanks

Jerry

I know what the heck is his name? Dan Wiggans, of Adire, said one mm of box xmax can cancel out 10mm of sub xmax. double/triple the baffle. All sides of my two single 15" boxes are double. aeroports are glued and screwed too.

vids man vids

post-396-1125390179_thumb.jpg

The problem with adding on baffles is that it greatly increases the weight of the enclosure.

Adding bracing doesnt really add all that much weight but it does take yp some displacement in the enclosure depending on if its threaded rod or just plain ol MDF

double baffle is way overrated.....

properly placec bracing, like supa mentioned, is the way to go...if u think u need to double wall everything, just use 1" mdf and bracing....that's more then enough...

i know competitors who lost on the mic because they double baffled chit...now they laugh at most everyone, except walls, who do it......

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I agree on the non-doubling baffle idea.

It does help a lot in wall situations though. Even going as far as 6 or so layers.

If what Dan Wiggins says is true, then my entire xmax is being cancelled out :-D.

The new box will have two lengths of threaded rod. Top to bottom and side to side. No front to back AFAIK, I'll update yall if it will have three way bracing.

I think yall know the guy, Ibanender/Sean. He's helping me out and building it for me -- I don't haev my garage anymore.

No garage, that doesnt matter.

In know a guy who made his enclosure in his kiving room/kitchen

Could you guys please explain port velocity.

Thanks

Jerry

anyone?

if u look inthe advanced forum, i believe there is a thread there that does some explaining....

i'll look and link here directly....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=2805

multipule links in that.....good read...

also, there is another thread in the advanced forum...first one that isn't stickied..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I agree on the non-doubling baffle idea.

It does help a lot in wall situations though.  Even going as far as 6 or so layers.

If what Dan Wiggins says is true, then my entire xmax is being cancelled out :-D.

The new box will have two lengths of threaded rod.  Top to bottom and side to side.  No front to back AFAIK, I'll update yall if it will have three way bracing.

I think yall know the guy, Ibanender/Sean.  He's helping me out and building it for me -- I don't haev my garage anymore.

where's the pics?

i ain't been on in a while, so this is the first i've seen of it.

in all of my tests (in my little car @~1700w) i liked the 6ft box. i never had the room to go w/ any bigger port than 70". but i always wanted to do a bigger port. i thought the port was holding it back. good luck w/ them. i'm glad they're doing you good.

Ahhh I get it. Laminar flow. I have dealt with this in my overclocking/water cooling hobby. So cougar needs to improve the surface area vs perimiter ratio to reduce the effect he is experienceing.