BKOLFO4

Building my first IB subwoofer setup

I am building a new house and decided to give IB a try. . .

Just ordered (8) Fi IB3 18" subs for it. Plan is to run 4 subs from ceiling to floor on each side of the projector screen.

Pictures will come. The front wall of the theater room is 2x6 studs. Will start building it up with MDF next week :)

Brian

:popcorn: WOW can't wait to see this build!!

Guaranteed to be an excellent build!

LOL! Modeled in Pro-E. That must have been fun. Good luck on project. :fing34:

UPS came yesterday. Wife brought them all in the house for me. Told her to think of it as a workout.

ab93ea41.jpg

Oh sexy!

What else is in the system? What are you powering these with, and how much space do you have behind that wall? That is almost 400 cubic feet required for minimum IB requirements.

Of worthy note, it is best to build in room IB set ups in opposing manifolds to reduce movement and cancellation as well as increasing output, although with 8 18s output shouldn't be a concern. If it were my system, I would go with an opposing manifold on each side. Even with 2X6 construction there will be a lot of movement. By using opposing forces you effectively cancel out movement.

IBmanifold.jpg

I am still working up the nerve to cut into my ceiling to go IB, but I plan on doing it maybe next spring. I am thinking more along the lines of 2 ShivaXs, or maybe 2 Tempests on about 500 apiece though... I can't imagine 8 18" subs. But I will be watching this build, as I am with several others, to see what i can learn from others' mistakes :peepwall:

Edited by sandt38

With the concern of movement, I had the framer add a 2x8 next to each 2x6 along the front wall. Like I said, I will also be adding 2 layers of MDF or 11-layer plywood too. If I have any flex when it is complete, I will add 2" x 3" angle iron to the back of the studs on each side of the drivers, but I cannot imagine and 2x6 tied to a 2x8 on 16" centers with 1.5" of plywood is going to flex much. . .

As far as volume. . .I have over 10,000 cuft of attic space :)

Will be powered with a PLX 3402 for now, so ~300-350 watts per woofer.

Good deal. Mine will be in the attic as well. By the location on the wall I was expecting it to vent into a closet, or something similar.

All subs and no mids and highs ??? looks wild though ...

Too much thump and not enough blend for natural surround ...

:popcorn:

8 18's is overkill

i have 1 15 in my condo and it shakes the pictures next door

i can't imagine what 8 18's feels like.

All subs and no mids and highs ??? looks wild though ...

Too much thump and not enough blend for natural surround ...

:popcorn:

Hmmmm. . . Maybe I have mids and highs that will keep up with it no problem.

8 18's is overkill

Yes, but you probably don't use it in IB ? or do you? :peepwall:

8 18's is overkill

Yes, but you probably don't use it in IB ? or do you? :peepwall:

8 18s is still overkill, even in an IB alignment... But it is some seriously impressive overkill.

I always say, you can't overdo it with subwoofer capability, and I am an SQ guy. You don't need to worry about imaging or how they will affect the stage, so I never knock it. With 8 18s he can, or I should say I would keep the volume very low on the subs. This will keep them amazingly linear, and amazingly linear in IB means amazingly transparent, open, and enveloping.

Bottom line, it will sound killer.

My last setup was (4) Avalanche 15's in 12 cuft sealed with heavy EQ to get them down below 20 Hz. Honestly not quite enough with music. More than enough for watching movies.

I am looking for effortless, clean, LOW bass with this setup.

My front 3 are North Creek Rhythm Unlimited's from back when they came with the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter. Running each speaker on 335 watts RMS with a 50 Hz HP filter.

Surrounds are the Standard Borealis kits with the 9500 tweeters. 200 watts RMS each with a 80 Hz HP filter.

Rhythm_and_Borealis

George broke-in and match all 8 7" drivers and the 5 tweeters. Cabinets are built just like the plans - they are heavy and solid! They are just an awesome sounding speaker. I built these speakers in October 2001 - This is the longest I have ever owned the same pair of speakers. No plans to replace them, unless I decide to build a set of line arrays like the ones I posted the build of here:

Project over the past month. - SSA Car Audio Forum

They are loud, but not as clean and do not image like the Rhythms, so I just keep going with what I have. . .

Brian

Good stuff, I like your style man. Just watch out for the turn-on thump. :P

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: