rgncjn

My SA-8 install

Well I was part of the pre-order and been having all my equipment for a while. I installed it about two months ago and I'm just getting a chance to post some pictures. I am not completely satisfied with the box. I wanted to get something made quickly so the woofers weren't just sitting around. I had a local box builder build it and he built it to fit under the seat. I told him I want the optimal box so if I needed I could raise the seat but I guess he figured he would work with what I already had. My buddy has two of these on the same set-up and his box is almost twice as loud. My box size is .667 cu ft w/o the woofer displacement (i didn't know it) with a port size of 1.5" tall x 5" wide x 14" deep. I think his box is some where around 1.0 cu ft a piece. Regardless of the box I am very pleased with the speakers and amp.

07022010310.jpg

07022010311.jpg

07022010312.jpg

Amp Rack with SAZ1500, Soundstream 4.920, and JBL C608C GTI MKII Crossovers

SANY0141Large.jpg

SANY0125Large.jpg

07-09 silvy crewcab? looks good dude!

Thanks Guys!! Stevemead it is a Dark Silver 08 Crew Cab.

SPL_Man I don't plan on keeping that box for long. Compared to my buddies box that is about 1.0 cu ft per sub this box is only about half as loud.

Thanks Guys!! Stevemead it is a Dark Silver 08 Crew Cab.

SPL_Man I don't plan on keeping that box for long. Compared to my buddies box that is about 1.0 cu ft per sub this box is only about half as loud.

.6 is great for that sub. i think you need more port.

I'm definately looking for suggestions. It just seems that there isn't much output before the speakers begin to bottom out.

turn up the sub sonic filter to abour 30hz

I hated the .6 box I was using too! But I'm with the others on port restriction.

Soapbox what is your net volume per sub? and port area and length?

Steave I have my subsonic filter on. Probably at about 35-40 Hz.

I started to play around with a box caclulator from basic car audio eletronics (www.bcae1.com). The program firgures that I need about 20 sq in of port area and ~40in of length for a tune at 32 hz. This doesn't seem right to me. What calculator do most of you guys use for your boxes?

Nice SoundStream.

interesting system ... :popcorn:

Thanks demin and Cablguy! I love the soundstream. They look really in person! I used to have an old school rubicon and was very weary about buying a new soundstream since the sold out. I did alot of reading from others that had bought the new references and they only had good things to say. My only complaint about it and I'm still not sure it is the amp or another part of the system but they is a small amount of hiss when the volume is really low or muted.

interesting system ... :popcorn:

Thanks demin and Cablguy! I love the soundstream. They look really in person! I used to have an old school rubicon and was very weary about buying a new soundstream since the sold out. I did alot of reading from others that had bought the new references and they only had good things to say. My only complaint about it and I'm still not sure it is the amp or another part of the system but they is a small amount of hiss when the volume is really low or muted.

that is more or less the norm, if it was off and still making noise or noise when you turn it up i would wonder then.

I know some of you guys mentioned I should have more port area for these subs. I tried my buddies box in my truck today and the subs have alot more output at lower frequencies. As I said his box is 1.0 ft^3 per sub and his port is 3"tall by 12"wide i'll have to ask again about the length. I was looking to see if I can modify the box that I have now and I though about cutting a block to close up the port now and using aero ports in the side of the box. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

Well I sold my two D4 SA-8's this weekend. My original plan was to stay with the two SA-8 but move to D2 coils to run my saz-1500 at 1/2 ohm. My buddy already has one D2 SA-8 left over since he moved up to a nightshade 12. However, I recently got to thinking of maybe doing a single 10 under my rear seat or possibly two SA-8 or a single SA-10 or SA-12 in a ported down fired center console box. I am more partial to the ported downfired center console box because there is alot of wasted space in my truck there, but I have never personally had a down fired box. Anybody out there have any experience with this type of box? Also, I considered a single 10 under the seat thinking if I had more airspace per woofer it may be louder but I am think logically since there is less cone area it shouldn't be as loud as the dual 8's. Should I just stick with the dual 8's or do you guys think any of the other options would be louder.