Sign in to follow this  
toyopl

I thought I was gonna get heart attack

Well I started my first car audio install, after not knowing anything half a year ago, thx to forums and helpfull ppl I learned and decided to do everything myself, and I was very carefull unhooked battery, made sure ground points are good, took my time untill I did a big mistake.....

......I installed Sundown 100.4 and Sundown 125.2 and Pioneer PRS880, hooked everything up and wanted to set the gains the dmm way. I hooked the positive back to the battery and I saw sparks flying on battery port, looked kinda strange, but I connected it anyway and I heard a lound bang in the back of a car,oh oh. Amps were in protect mode and I could not find the problem, I thought to try hook the new speakers to amps, maybe it would power on, but nothing, and then it hit me, I checked power and ground wire, and I hooked them up the opposite way on both amps........

-------yeah, took the fuses out of the amps and they were gone, one of the fuses was charred black, I freaked, and run to the store quick to buy new fuses to hope for some miracle that nothing fried, while driving I also remembered reading that amp will often ground itself through rca's when there's bad ground, and I remember Pioneers being very picky and easy to pop their fuses, I thought I might've finished both amps and plus a radio :(

But somehow when I put new fuses in both amps they powered ok, radio worked aswell, everything played nice and I could not believe I didn't destroy something, lucky :)

111.jpg

they have protection circuits so they just blow fuses. Glad everything turned out ok

Edited by cheese20323

Well I started my first car audio install, after not knowing anything half a year ago, thx to forums and helpfull ppl I learned and decided to do everything myself, and I was very carefull unhooked battery, made sure ground points are good, took my time untill I did a big mistake.....

......I installed Sundown 100.4 and Sundown 125.2 and Pioneer PRS880, hooked everything up and wanted to set the gains the dmm way. I hooked the positive back to the battery and I saw sparks flying on battery port, looked kinda strange, but I connected it anyway and I heard a lound bang in the back of a car,oh oh. Amps were in protect mode and I could not find the problem, I thought to try hook the new speakers to amps, maybe it would power on, but nothing, and then it hit me, I checked power and ground wire, and I hooked them up the opposite way on both amps........

-------yeah, took the fuses out of the amps and they were gone, one of the fuses was charred black, I freaked, and run to the store quick to buy new fuses to hope for some miracle that nothing fried, while driving I also remembered reading that amp will often ground itself through rca's when there's bad ground, and I remember Pioneers being very picky and easy to pop their fuses, I thought I might've finished both amps and plus a radio :(

But somehow when I put new fuses in both amps they powered ok, radio worked aswell, everything played nice and I could not believe I didn't destroy something, lucky :)

111.jpg

Man I'm not even gonna lie. I did the same fuxxen shxt the other day too. I was so paranoid and skerred that i had surely messed something up! I left my car there took the wifes car and got fuses from Radio Shack. Everything was fine. I thought I had just threw away over 300 dollars on my SAX 100.4. I dont know what the hell I was thinking. I got trigger happy and mixed my wires. Im glad yours are okay too.

and I heard a lound bang in the back of a car,oh oh. Amps were in protect mode and I could not find the problem, I thought to try hook the new speakers to amps, maybe it would power on, but nothing, and then it hit me, I checked power and ground wire, and I hooked them up the opposite way on both amps........

-------yeah, took the fuses out of the amps and they were gone, one of the fuses was charred black, I freaked, and run to the store quick to buy new fuses to hope for some miracle that nothing fried

The same thing happened with my first setup.

Glad your turned out like mine, just changed the fuse and the boom boom come alive.

111.jpg

DUDE! Don't look now, but someone stole your seats!

We've all had our moments.

Doesn't matter how good you are or how much you know, sooner or later you're going to have a dumbass attack.

Lol, yeah, I'm just happy that the mistake I did wasn't that serious, the guys really made those amps Idiotproof :D

My biggest dumbass attack so far has been slipping off the screw and putting a nice hole into a sub. Cheaply fixed thank God.

It happens to all of us.

do you have the same color power and ground wire?

glad it all worked out :)

on board fusing saved the day!!!!

do you have the same color power and ground wire?

glad it all worked out :)

Nah, nice red and nice black, just the writing is below the wiring block and u have to look down to see the writing, I just somehow forgot to read which is which and autopmatically put them the opposite way, for some reason I was sure I was putting them the right way. Unless you have the amp raised your way, or you're on the amp level, you don't see the writing.