Looking for a quality amp that can push about 1200 - 1500 actual RMS @ 2 ohms. Class D and smaller design prefferred, mono block. This is for my L7 sub

Been looking at the new Kicker amps. i like how small they are, and are CEA certified but want to see if i could find better out there.

Also checked out Sundown 1500D amp but tests show only pushes 985 watts @ 2 ohms actual output. Hard to find amps with proper real world ratings.

JBL 1201.1 II(but has not subsonic filter), old school Memphis mojo 200d and 1500d, Some of the older MTX amps do rated power at 2 ohms also

check around for a used sundown 3k or Check out the cresendo audio. both around $550

3k at 1 ohm

1500w at 2 ohm

That's good on that sundown considering its designed to do its rated power at 1ohm!! So yes it does its rated 1500 and more at the proper ohm

Looking for a quality amp that can push about 1200 - 1500 actual RMS @ 2 ohms. Class D and smaller design prefferred, mono block. This is for my L7 sub

Been looking at the new Kicker amps. i like how small they are, and are CEA certified but want to see if i could find better out there.

Also checked out Sundown 1500D amp but tests show only pushes 985 watts @ 2 ohms actual output. Hard to find amps with proper real world ratings.

I know stetsom makes 2 ohm amplifiers, check our store or www.db-r.com . They have very small footprints, extremely efficient, and also perform.

look in the thunder elite series by MTX, they are all CEA certified, and do more than rated. I have the 4kw and its an incredible amp!

thanks guys.

ALso, what do you guys think of Soundstream Amps?...do they do rated? i really like the D towers and Stealth series, but can't find much solid info on their peformance or quality.

@julian: which Stetsom line of amps are you reffering to? they have digital, evolution, spl...all kinds. never heard of them, so i'll have to research them some more first.

What is your budget? $

probably no more than $1000. I'm also considering MTX amps, though their amps i'm looking at are either 1000 watts at 2ohm or 2200 watts at 2ohms...i'd prefer closer to 1500, i think 2200 watts is likely too much for the L7 to handle in a ported box. i don't really want to blow the sub or nothing.

Edited by dcyphure

just because the amp is "rated" at 2500 watts doesnt mean its always, maybe even ever, pushing that much power out. and you can always turn the gain knob down to do less power. overhead is good. just watch it if you do get a larger than needed amp to be conservative on the gain. listen to what your sub can do, and dont exceed that point.

If your lookin to spend $1000 on a 1500 watt amp, why not just sell your sub and buy one that wires down to 1 ohm. Then grab an AP15001D for $160 and put the other $800 in the bank. I'm sorry, I just can't see myself spending $1K on an amp for a L7 :suicide-santa: . Good luck with whatever you choose.

BTW, I could put a WHOLE system in my car for that 1K you plan on spending on that amp. Just sayin.

If your lookin to spend $1000 on a 1500 watt amp, why not just sell your sub and buy one that wires down to 1 ohm. Then grab an AP15001D for $160 and put the other $800 in the bank. I'm sorry, I just can't see myself spending $1K on an amp for a L7 :suicide-santa: . Good luck with whatever you choose.

BTW, I could put a WHOLE system in my car for that 1K you plan on spending on that amp. Just sayin.

yes but the amp is intended for years and years of use. The sub is not.

I still have an 15 year old RF punch 60ix amplifier i spent $400 on back in the day. Amps are the only part of car audio that i future proof or try to. So IF i got 15 years out of a $1000 amp...compared to how much some audio enthusiasts spend within 15 years. i'm probably doing dam good. But most major brand amps within that power range can be found new for half that, so no worries.

HU's, Subs, boxes....etc, is all the stuff i like to change up every couple or so years. I'm sure you understand.

I know nothing of AudioPipe's build quality or actual rated power. But at the moment, i'm looking hard at MTX thunder Elite. Their one of the few makers so far i've seen that actually tell me the quality of individual internal parts. like isdm circuit boards...etc. Most others only say they use Mosfets and thats about all i gather from them.

i try to research heavily into any product i plan to keep for many years and not just buy whatever is cheapest or based on linear experiences of "some guy" on its own. Maybe AP would last 15 yrs, i dunno but who does?

is that for MSRP prices? or unauthorized dealers, garage sales..what?

I mean i can too and have in the past. I can also build a $2000 computer for $500 but thats all part of buying any product. some can, some can't or some just won't.

but i don't go with brands i'm not familiar with out of the blue. i've learned too many hard lessons over the years and seen others as well.

*edit: hehe, i just noticed Audiopipes marketing. how stereotypical and too much "bling,bling" for my tastes. White girls and gangsta's with products that have fake diamonds in them isnt exactly a noble statement to me, but if they last 15 years i'm game...though dunno how long they been around? but their marketing really cracked me up though

i mean, how could anyone take this AD seriously?

02.jpg

Edited by dcyphure

yes but the amp is intended for years and years of use. The sub is not.

I still have an 15 year old RF punch 60ix amplifier i spent $400 on back in the day. Amps are the only part of car audio that i future proof or try to. So IF i got 15 years out of a $1000 amp...compared to how much some audio enthusiasts spend within 15 years. i'm probably doing dam good. But most major brand amps within that power range can be found new for half that, so no worries.

HU's, Subs, boxes....etc, is all the stuff i like to change up every couple or so years. I'm sure you understand.

I know nothing of AudioPipe's build quality or actual rated power. But at the moment, i'm looking hard at MTX thunder Elite. Their one of the few makers so far i've seen that actually tell me the quality of individual internal parts. like isdm circuit boards...etc. Most others only say they use Mosfets and thats about all i gather from them.

i try to research heavily into any product i plan to keep for many years and not just buy whatever is cheapest or based on linear experiences of "some guy" on its own. Maybe AP would last 15 yrs, i dunno but who does?

is that for MSRP prices? or unauthorized dealers, garage sales..what?

I mean i can too and have in the past. I can also build a $2000 computer for $500 but thats all part of buying any product. some can, some can't or some just won't.

but i don't go with brands i'm not familiar with out of the blue. i've learned too many hard lessons over the years and seen others as well.

*edit: hehe, i just noticed Audiopipes marketing. how stereotypical and too much "bling,bling" for my tastes. White girls and gangsta's with products that have fake diamonds in them isnt exactly a noble statement to me, but if they last 15 years i'm game...though dunno how long they been around? but their marketing really cracked me up though

i mean, how could anyone take this AD seriously?

02.jpg

haha at the AD

lol. ALL their ads are like that...who would not laugh? i literally cracked up for a several minutes going through their website. They should really change their marketing strategy, plus their limiting their market focus on young black people. Fake diamonds reminds me similarly to those cheap Duel bandpass subs with those disco lights inside the box....lol, disco.

nah, i settled on the MTX thunder elite 1501. couldnt find any negative reviews of it out there and MTX been around forever so i'm sure i'll be happy with it.

lol. ALL their ads are like that...who would not laugh? i literally cracked up for a several minutes going through their website. They should really change their marketing strategy, plus their limiting their market focus on young black people. Fake diamonds reminds me similarly to those cheap Duel bandpass subs with those disco lights inside the box....lol, disco.

nah, i settled on the MTX thunder elite 1501. couldnt find any negative reviews of it out there and MTX been around forever so i'm sure i'll be happy with it.

Excellent choice. Very strong amplifier, and fairly efficient (more so then other brands claim).

I love my MTX 4kw!

Seems like you just want to stay mainstream. Which is fine.

I guess we all can't see the truth in it all. Your paying for a name, nothing more.

I guess we all can't see the truth in it all. Your paying for a name, nothing more.

and what is the truth?

I do know one truth, a no name 2000 watt amp for $189, not CEA certified nor any pics or talk of its guts shows its not a very proud company. Had amps like that in the past, i'm sure theres a reason why i no longer have them.

But i got it half of MSRP, about the same prices as most others in its class including non mainstream amps.

thanks guys.

ALso, what do you guys think of Soundstream Amps?...do they do rated? i really like the D towers and Stealth series, but can't find much solid info on their peformance or quality.

@julian: which Stetsom line of amps are you reffering to? they have digital, evolution, spl...all kinds. never heard of them, so i'll have to research them some more first.

here ya go http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_100_101&products_id=247

and what is the truth?

I do know one truth, a no name 2000 watt amp for $189, not CEA certified nor any pics or talk of its guts shows its not a very proud company. Had amps like that in the past, i'm sure theres a reason why i no longer have them.

But i got it half of MSRP, about the same prices as most others in its class including non mainstream amps.

lol u wud say that

have fun with your kicker dewwwwwdd

mainstream FTW!

maybe u shud dcyphure the propaganda

Edited by Maddenkid2011

There's some truth to that statement, but how do you think a lot of these "Mainstream" companies started? From a little company catering to Audio Enthusiasts. What if (and I mean when) Sundown becomes mainstream will they be forever labeled as inferior? No, the main purpose of a company is to grow, to profit, and most of all get their name out to the public. Yes, indeed there are some shady companies, but the big names Kicker, MTX, etc all make very high quality amplifiers. It takes a lot of money for Research and Development, for products to be made in america, Etc. So the word "Mainstream" should not be something that is derogatory to a company, but shows how much work they have put into building a quality product.

That ends my speech.

There's some truth to that statement, but how do you think a lot of these "Mainstream" companies started? From a little company catering to Audio Enthusiasts. What if (and I mean when) Sundown becomes mainstream will they be forever labeled as inferior? No, the main purpose of a company is to grow, to profit, and most of all get their name out to the public. Yes, indeed there are some shady companies, but the big names Kicker, MTX, etc all make very high quality amplifiers. It takes a lot of money for Research and Development, for products to be made in america, Etc. So the word "Mainstream" should not be something that is derogatory to a company, but shows how much work they have put into building a quality product.

That ends my speech.

That ends my speech.

Agreed, good point.

Hmm, I dont know if that was directed at me or the OP either way I dont care (and the following isnt directed to anyone in particular, to all in general). I've ran plenty of amps from mainstream to non, actually know how they work (beyond the typical understanding), and what goes into making them and I know a good amp when I see one. Some up and coming companies make great high quality amps, others do not. Dont judge a book by its cover.

If you actually take the time to look into some of these mainstream amps and the technology behind them you will see what I am talking about. Dont let flashy lights and a chrome plate on the amp fool you.

The MTX 4kw is the size of a typical 2kw amp for one simple reason. They do not do "through-hole" component soldering. They imprint the circuitry on TOP of the board giving them the ability to condense things much better, and group certain components together. They also have probably the best cooling mechanism I've seen. They dont just slap 2 big noisy fans on the end of it. They actually direct airflow directly over the hottest components before it makes its way past almost every component.

Take Rockford for example. Nobody knocks their 4kw, hell it has awesome impedance rise adjustment capabilities. But its a mainstream amp. Where do all these mainstream companies start? the same way sundown, RE, hifonics, SSA, FI, etc. etc. etc. get started. So do you expect them to get to a large size then just shut themselves down because they are mainstream?

Mainstream companies do one of 2 things: Fall off the ball and make crap products and try to let their name coast them by as long as possible before they eventually shut down. Or they continue to produce and push the market into better technology. And ask yourself, which mainstream company that is still huge makes total crap product? Almost none because they wont last. Some may have changed their vision and turned to producing more higher quality or SQ subs but its still high quality.

Just because something looks simple and "hardcore" does not mean it is. I have a notebook of amp clamping results that back that claim up.

Cheers! :drink40: :drink40: