sundownz

SAX-200.4 Prototypes In

Little bit of clamping :

All channels LOADED for the test @ 1 ohm per (2 ohms bridged on the clamped channels) -- 60 Hz tone played.

Bridged channels 1 + 2 clamped.

820 Watts

62 V

13.2 A

@ 4.7 ohms

So 410 per channel @ 2.35 ohms

We didn't measure voltage but based on other testing it should be dropping to the high 11s to low 12s.

It certainly exceeds expectations :)

At what level of distortion was this measurement taken?

Little bit of clamping :

All channels LOADED for the test @ 1 ohm per (2 ohms bridged on the clamped channels) -- 60 Hz tone played.

Bridged channels 1 + 2 clamped.

820 Watts

62 V

13.2 A

@ 4.7 ohms

So 410 per channel @ 2.35 ohms

We didn't measure voltage but based on other testing it should be dropping to the high 11s to low 12s.

It certainly exceeds expectations :)

Hmm, not sure if this applys to class A/B amps as it does Class D. But you used a 60hz tone, generally the higher the hz the more the amp produces correct?

I'd like to see a Sax 100.6 or 50.6! I want to run 3-way active sometime soon, and i want to run a single amp for my front stage!

I'd like to see a Sax 100.6 or 50.6! I want to run 3-way active sometime soon, and i want to run a single amp for my front stage!

Me too man. Apparently there are no plans for one. :(

Hmm, not sure if this applys to class A/B amps as it does Class D. But you used a 60hz tone, generally the higher the hz the more the amp produces correct?

If the amplifier has flat frequency response, it will output the same amount of power across it's entire bandwidth. If the amplifier produces more power at higher frequencies, that means those frequencies would be louder.....that would be bad.

No, the FASTER it produces it.......i.e a 10hz tone causes the amp to swing 1000 watts 10 times a second, at 100hz it has to swing that power 100 times a second, using 10 times the power over the sime time period.

Edited by troublemaker

I used 60 Hz as we are powering woofers and in the box they are in the impedance rise is fairly predictable at right around 200%

As for THD -- I'm not measuring that in this test. Just checking to see how much power it can generate when loaded down on a real load -- WELL in excess of the rated power so I am quite comfortable that the power with THD ratings from my build house are indeed accurate.

Also to keep in mind... we had only 4 awg wire going to the amp on the bench. Just as a quick test I unloaded two channels and the remaining pair output right at 1000 watts. I imagine I could get close to 1kw per side still loaded down on all four channels with the proper 1/0 wire going into the amp as voltage drop going into the 11s when testing on the 4 awg.

What is the exact length of this thing got to figure out if i got room or not :(