Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

DIY component choices

So...I need new door panels. I figure while I've got those off, I might as well sound deaden the doors. Then, I figure I might as well upgrade my coaxials to components :D 80wpc to the Boston FX6's just isn't cutting it anymore...

My criteria:

* 2 ohm impedance preferred.

* At 2 ohms stereo, my PG Tantrum 500.2 does 250W/side.

* Going to be mounting the tweet in the A-pillar trim...I prefer the sound of silks over metals...at least for all the ones I've auditioned.

* The mid is going in the stock door location, with a 6.5" cutout...I don't know the max. mounting depth as of yet, but the FX6's are 2 1/8" inches deep. So that fits without a problem.

* I listen to a lot of classic rock and jazz...so a goodly amount of midbass is a good thing :)

* Budget is...whatever's reasonable :D I could see myself going to $250 for this...

XXX 6.5's (took me bout 5 times to get htat rihgt!!)

And some awesome tweeters... ( prefer Vifa 1" Texitle dome autosound tweeters from madisound....)

Alpine 9835 active xover mode... ;)

I love you Mr. Frosty...

You.

NG

XXX 6.5's are like the only 2ohm mids out there for car audio use.

Im guessing you want to do passive since you have a 2ch amp ?

Have fun with that 2ohm load...... :blink:

you're not going to find too many 2ohm mids out there.

xxx, id cx62's, and a few more i cant think of currently.

as for tweets, i've seen a lot of rave reviews for the LPG 25nfa. also, check out the dayton RS and vifa.

are you going to make a passive xover or something? if so, u should talk to ologyaudio dude and see what kind of diy sets he has.

125w x 2 should be all that's needed if you stick with good 4ohm drivers (mids atleast....due to the tweeters higher sensitivity 8ohm will still work good). Hell, even ~60w to most 8ohm mids would be great on all except the real power hungry ones (like the Dayton Reference).

Max Fidelity MF-170-75L/4 is a good 4ohm midbass driver that is supposed to be very similar in sound to Dynaudio. For infinite baffle setup (i.e. in your doors) you would want the high Q version: http://www.meniscusaudio.com/products/Meniscus.cfm

Peerless HDS, Vifa MG, Seas CA18 and L18, Morel and Usher all make great mids that would work.

Max Fidelity Neo30, LPG 25 and Seas (can't remember model # off hand) are all small dome tweets that would work. Morel has some large format tweets that are great.

you're not going to find too many 2ohm mids out there.

xxx, id cx62's, and a few more i cant think of currently.

as for tweets, i've seen a lot of rave reviews for the LPG 25nfa. also, check out the dayton RS and vifa.

are you going to make a passive xover or something? if so, u should talk to ologyaudio dude and see what kind of diy sets he has.

I already sent a PM to Ology...and yeah, the CX62's were ones I was thinking of.

Those Phaze mids he has are incredible.

Jack I have several sets of passive x-overs you could use. I also have the set of bostons that I didnt like in my install. You could "borrow" them and if you like them we could talk. They are the BA pro 6.5 3ohm

Let me know.

Peerless HDS, Vifa MG, Seas CA18 and L18, Morel and Usher all make great mids that would work.

Indeed, I have a very similar desire and problem. Mids to go in doors/kickpanels and tweets in the stock A-pillar locations. I listen to a lot of jazz and love the upright bass and really, really wanted a mid to extend and sound natural playing the bass notes. I haven't installed mine yet, but with exactly the same power I just ordered a set of Seas W18E001 and the Alpine F1 Status tweeters (basically ScanSpeak D2904 but $60 instead of $180 ea). I bought my W18's used for a steal (used to be NPDang's) otherwise I was going to go with the G18 Seas. From what I have read it should make a pretty wicked combo for mid-bass on the low end. By no means is it 2 ohm, but on the same note you have plenty of power to push them and won't be putting that heavy a load on your amplifier. Mine land this week, but I really won't have a chance to install them for a couple weeks as I am out of town travelling a bunch and it requires some fiberglassing....a full review and install log will be posted in the speaker section.

what about the Adire Extremis?

ttt

Ok, so in my new (to me) vehicle, I am wanting some 5.25" for the front doors. I dont want a co-ax, just a true mid., as I already have tweets (factory infinity) at top of door. My door panels are CLOSE to the inner door, so I cant make a plate to mount a 6.5", and I dont want to cut the inner door sheet metal or door panel plastic...so..that is why I want to stay with 5.25". Anyone care to recommend a few? Should I look into some of the ones posted above, just in my size req.?

I forgot who it was, but someone posted a thread about cheap tweets and they said to go to PAC parts and input the model number for the Alpine F1 status component set which we all know uses some tweaked Scan-Speak models.

Anyways, Do this. The 5.25" Rev is an awesome driver and I think they have it listed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$60 a piece. CA&E did a review of high $ compontent sets a while ago and all but the Alpine set had 6.5" drivers, yet they said the Alpine was the best of the bunch in tonality, midrange and bass extension. Can't beat the price either.

Based on all the reviews for the XXX's, you will need a tweeter that work well down to 1.5khz, otherwise ID's will work better for the 2 ohm choices.

I forgot who it was, but someone posted a thread about cheap tweets and they said to go to PAC parts and input the model number for the Alpine F1 status component set which we all know uses some tweaked Scan-Speak models.

Anyways,  Do this.  The 5.25" Rev is an awesome driver and I think they have it listed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$60 a piece.  CA&E did a review of high $ compontent sets a while ago and all but the Alpine set had 6.5" drivers, yet they said the Alpine was the best of the bunch in tonality, midrange and bass extension.  Can't beat the price either.

I have a set of the Alpine tweets you speak of, $60 each from pacparts.com, they will say they are backordered but you get them in 10 days. Being I just got back from a trip I hope to do a good portion of the install this weekend. From reading reviews and specs, these are most likely made by ScanSpeak model D2904/60001 (the Alpine part is D2904/610001 with identical parameters accross the board). As a reference the Scan-Speak sells for $180 ea. These would be great IMO (from what I have read) with a set of ScanSpeak 5.25" Revealators. The mid from the Alpine set might also be the Rev, but I haven't looked that deep as I went with a 7" for more punch on the upright bass.

JF I know you are working on your doors, but have you bought your components yet? Eager to know...