ATF

AA havocs vs. SSA Xcons

Okay first of all please don't ask if i have electrical upgrades because yes i do. i Just want some opinions on subs and an amp to push them.. I'm either thinking of 2 15" SSA XCONS or 3-4 12" AA havocs. Probably 4. The xcons will be powered by a saz-3500d in AROUND 6 cubes ported tuned to around 28hz and the havocs 3 would be saz-3500d about 6 cubes ported tuned 28hz or 4 would be by a saz-4500d 8 cubes ported maybe 26hz .. I want an ""SQL"" setup.. i know either are going to be extremely loud as well.. But i am going to attempt to make this setup as sound quality oriented as possible.lol might even just do sealed boxes. but i want my subs to get very low. So any suggestions?? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Also if anyone thinks i should post all of my other equipment in the setup then just ask.

Some people might whine that if you want "true" sq then you should only use a small sub that won't over power your front stage and all that nonsense. Be ready...

I would go with biggers subs. I just like the idea about how much more efficient they are over smaller drivers.

As far as Xcon vs Havoc, I am interested to see comparisons of the two. I don't have experience with either, so I'm not much help with that.

Yea i wish i could use 18's !!! i was thinking of maybe 2 18's in 8 cubes sealed because about 8 cubes is as big as i want to go... but i don't know if that would work for an 18. My dream setup includes 2 18's though. My front stage will include either DLS, Morel, or Rainbow components. So i'm hoping they will blend good. Oh and my question for everyone is which would you choose out of these 2 possibilities. Or 3 (18's sealed) ... I know these are very good ""SQL"" drivers and i'm torn between the two. I'm highly leaning towards the simple 2 15" xcons though. I just have a feeling the xcons are a remarkable woofer from what i hear and read.

I run 2 xcon 18's and they are by far the best sounding subs I've had hands down! Don't fall into the trap thinkg 18s can't sound good they do!

You cant lose with either sub. Both are monsters on the low end. Im have more bias towards the Xcon because I have heard them in many different set-ups and they sounded amazing in each one.

i know 18's can sound just as good and with the right enclosure and all.. but should i just run 2 18's in 8 cubes? Noo huh.. that's just not enough of space. ahh i want to but the 15's in the RIGHT enclosure would be better i'm thinking!

I have no experience with the Havocs so I wont comment there. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good review for you to compare.

I currently have 18" XCONS now and they replaced 15" XCONS. I am upgrading in the near future to 4 18's and they will be XCONS also.

They just do everything very well. They get loud and sound amazing doing so. I have run them sealed and ported and they sound excellent in both enclosures.

If extremely accurate, deep, tight bass, that will get loud enough to hurt you is your goal.....you wont be disappointed with the XCONS.

The phrase SQL is a no/no on here, but I have no problem with it. Why give a SQ subwoofer a 1750rms rating if people didn't want this mythical SQL? The sub level control on your HU can give you a little of both. I think my current set up sounds damn good at a moderate volume, but when I turn up the volume up on the subs they will tear shit up.

I have no experience with the Havocs so I wont comment there. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good review for you to compare.

I currently have 18" XCONS now and they replaced 15" XCONS. I am upgrading in the near future to 4 18's and they will be XCONS also.

They just do everything very well. They get loud and sound amazing doing so. I have run them sealed and ported and they sound excellent in both enclosures.

If extremely accurate, deep, tight bass, that will get loud enough to hurt you is your goal.....you wont be disappointed with the XCONS.

The phrase ""SQL"" is a no/no on here, but I have no problem with it. Why give a SQ subwoofer a 1750rms rating if people didn't want this mythical ""SQL""? The sub level control on your HU can give you a little of both. I think my current set up sounds damn good at a moderate volume, but when I turn up the volume up on the subs they will tear shit up.

Yea, I don't get the whole rejection of ""SQL"". What else would you call a great sounding sub that gets louder then a normal SQ sub should?

I have a similar setup in theory. An 18" Fi Q with image dynamics comps and cdt midbass in the front. With the bass knob turned all the way down, the bass blends pretty well with the front stage, but if I want it loud, it will do that.

Oh yea I forget about the ""SQL"" on here lol my badd but so sir lance what size box did you have the 15'd in and 18's in now? I want it to sound nice and of course get loud when I want it to. I wanna move some air and amaze some people. In my area nobody even knows anything about FI or SSA. It's nice cuz I'll know I have a unique setup around here haha

The definition of SQ is to reproduce the music as accurately as possible, SPL on the other-hand is to get the highest possible score on a meter, with no regards to how well it sounds. SQL makes absolutely no sense to me, It's like comparing Blu-Ray to VHC.

I still rock the VHS tapes FTW dawg.

If you only have 8 cu ft to work with, the 18's won't fit ported. Maybe sealed.

But 2 15's will like that volume. With the port the subs will have less than 7 cu ft. It should be enough. But I'm no expert in box design. :)

There are some build logs with 2 xcons, take a look at them.

Sorry I misread it as 8 cubes per sub. Yes 8 cubes for both is on the small side. 2 XCON 15s will do the trick for you! send me a message if u have any more questions about them.

Some people might whine that if you want "true" sq then you should only use a small sub that won't over power your front stage and all that nonsense.

I don't know anyone with any intelligence that would make such a recommendation. The size of the sub has nothing to do with overpowering your front stage, and there are distinct advantages to using large diameter subs.

It is a win win situation, both are awesome sub woofers. Both are proven performers that have plenty of happy owners. The Havoc will kick some serious butt. If you want a little more power handling, opt for the Xcon. :)