stilzz

btl 18 cuts out at high volume HELP!!!!!!

I am running a mmats 2200.1 and btl 18 old style no upgrades to my knowledge kinetik 2400 audio control lc8. When I turn the volume up the bass clips out with a mild thumping sound then comes right back in but continues to clip out. What is wrong? Thanks

turn your gain down probably

turn your gain down probably

thanks, the gains are half way up. You dont think the sub is damaged?

Edited by stilzz

Your amp is turning off...and then clicking back on.

No amp is fine however when i first installed it and was playing loud the amp got warm there was a funny smell. Thats unusual for a mmats amp. The sub clips out like it skipping a beat. It comes back on its like the bass note isnt catching at times. Its not extremely loud when it does this. I cannot get to that point. It always cuts out on low notes

check your voltage while playing it and see what the voltage is when the amp cuts out.

What kind a car is it?

Some cars/trucks have a shut off if voltage get to low. This is to ensure you dont drain your battery and get stranded.

check your voltage while playing it and see what the voltage is when the amp cuts out.

Ok I will go to a shop and do that. I actually had it running two 12s at 2ohms and it sounded fine until I ran it at 1 ohm on the btl. My lights dont dim at all. The amp is 76% efficient 2200 watts. Also the amp stopped getting warm. I dont know if this makes since but as I warm up the sub it does let me play it louder notch by notch vs just not warming it and cranking it cllip out faster. It will play at normal levels where it is shaking the trunk pretty hard but I know this sub can do more. I dont know yet

No amp is fine however when i first installed it and was playing loud the amp got warm there was a funny smell. Thats unusual for a mmats amp. The sub clips out like it skipping a beat. It comes back on its like the bass note isnt catching at times. Its not extremely loud when it does this. I cannot get to that point. It always cuts out on low notes

your driver isn't going to just randomly decide not to output any sound unless it's not getting power from your amp, or tinsels are loose (which I doubt).

how'd you set your gain? whats your enclosure tuned to? and how did you set your ssf? Perhaps you clipped it and allowed it to bottom out and overexcursion and tinsels need to be re soldered?

BUT

I think it's more likely that your amp is clipping, wired to impedence too low, either way and shutting off, perhaps the light stays on and you think it's fine but it is in fact not outputting for a second and thus gives you the impression that your driver is "skipping a beat"

What kind a car is it?

Some cars/trucks have a shut off if voltage get to low. This is to ensure you dont drain your battery and get stranded.

Mercedes Benz s430 2005 I had a hifonics brutus 2608 2000x1 and the lights dimmed a lot more but no sub outings. The hifonics was on 2 10" wildbest beast and it was about to blow those speakers. No problems but this setup I am having these problems. The sub is in 4 and change cubic box ported 30hz if that matters. I also have a 2nd battery kinetic 2400 0 guage everything. I have a batcap 300 I was gonna through on it. It makes a weird popping or thud sound when the bass hits to hard and the bass cuts out and comes right back

Edited by stilzz

your driver isn't going to just randomly decide not to output any sound unless it's not getting power from your amp, or tinsels are loose (which I doubt).

how'd you set your gain? whats your enclosure tuned to? and how did you set your ssf? Perhaps you clipped it and allowed it to bottom out and overexcursion and tinsels need to be re soldered?

BUT

I think it's more likely that your amp is clipping, wired to impedence too low, either way and shutting off, perhaps the light stays on and you think it's fine but it is in fact not outputting for a second and thus gives you the impression that your driver is "skipping a beat"

Hmmm thank you. I thought about it being the amp. I spoke to the guy who sold it to me afterwards and he made it seem like everything is ok. He said its 1 ohm stable. It is the dhc2200.1 Is there a way I can test for that issue or I need to service the amp?

how'd you set your gain? 1/2 way up

whats your enclosure tuned to? 30hz i think

and how did you set your ssf? That I dont know. not sure if the amp has one I need to check

Perhaps you clipped it and allowed it to bottom out and overexcursion and tinsels need to be re soldered? maybe both were puchased on ebay

try testing with another amp and see if you can eliminate one of the questions. Did you say your BTL is in a 4 ft cu enclosure?

try testing with another amp and see if you can eliminate one of the questions. Did you say your BTL is in a 4 ft cu enclosure?

4 and change thats a good i dea i traded my hifonics amp for the custom box. I dont have another 1 ohm powerful amp. I have a ma hk4000d 2ohm stable amp. I dont think you can wire a dual 2 to read 2ohms. I could put the box on someone elses car if I can get it out. Or I can put my wilb beast 10s on the amp they are wired at 1 ohm. what do you think? I also have the LC8 could that signal be up to high?

turn the gain down. 1/2 doesn't mean you're only send half the power to the sub.

turn the gain down. 1/2 doesn't mean you're only send half the power to the sub.

I will try that tonite, thanks

Ok I just turned the gains down. Its proabbaly up a 1/4. I was able to turn turn it up much louder and the sub did not cut off. So we are on the right track. Thanks

Ok I just turned the gains down. Its proabbaly up a 1/4. I was able to turn turn it up much louder and the sub did not cut off. So we are on the right track. Thanks

that's good, but not quite good enough, if your amp has no ssf then that's a big problem :trippy: I suggest getting an inline ssf (I think theres one called fmod, may have to google for it), but if it was me I'd sell the amp and get something better.

that's good, but not quite good enough, if your amp has no ssf then that's a big problem :trippy: I suggest getting an inline ssf (I think theres one called fmod, may have to google for it), but if it was me I'd sell the amp and get something better.

I actually upgraded to this amp. MMATS is considered professional audio. I will definitley look into the fmod. I know ssf are good to have. Thanks for your help

Edited by stilzz

Well after turn the gains down to a 1/4 it is still clipping out. I turn the gains all the way down and clipped as well. It just seems like when it get to a certain volume it clips. It not that loud either. I wonder if it is the Lc8 sending a clip signal. I need to take it in to a shop to see if they can figure it out. Any other thoughts?

It's a gain problem.

He uses a line driver that boosts his output voltage coming from the HU.

So turn the gains down even more, you're are seriously clipping.

That's why the amp shutsdown, i hope the sub doesn't has any damage.

Does the amplifier run down to 1 ohm in the first? and are you sure you got dual 2's and not dual 1's? if they are indeed dual 1's you would be wiring down to .5 ohm. The amplifier only accepts 4 gauge wire... for a 2,000 amplifier you would expect to get 1/0.. I would consider getting a reducer. This will allow more current to your amplifier.

You need to stop using the word clip to describe your situation. Your amp is not clipping, it is cutting out. Clipping describes a different situation where the output signal is still on, the amplitude is just limited and clipped off at the peaks and valleys due to the constraints of the amplifier. Cutting out is when the amp goes into protection or stops outputting a signal for some reason.

Start taking things out of the signal chain. If you have a line driver, take that out and wire the amp straight to the head unit. See if it still cuts out. If so, take the head unit out of the signal chain by using a different source, such as wiring an mp3 player straight to the amp, and see if it still cuts out then. Also check your connections everywhere and make sure speaker wires aren't touching together anywhere, speaker wires aren't touching the basket of the sub, or there are any other shorts in the power, ground, remote, etc. wires.