Sign in to follow this  
the fat kid

single cab truck, 2bl 12s?

what up guys,

i guess this is your typical what do i buy thread. i heard a truck a couple weeks ago with two FI BTL 18s tuned to 33hz i belive he said, ten cubes. shit was nasty loud... got me to thinkin maybe i need to ditch my multiple sub sealed setup, and just go two twelves and give them proper ported airspace.

im running this now, and its really really nice on music, rock, blues, the kick drums and all sound very nice. but i do listen to rap and some techno and the tens sealed just dont hit that low stuff that i like.

4 diamond audio d1 tens, downfire, sealed with a cube per sub

diamond d3 1100.1

diamond d1 250.2

alpine type r 6.5 component set

alpine ida-x001 head unit

so, this is what i was thinking, two fi bl 12s give them their proper 5 cubes tuned to probably 33hz i guess. i was looking at the saz-2500d amp, do yall think thatd be an ok amp for these? ive got no experience with them but i know the people that do love them. also gonna have to do the big 3 and probably a better battery.

any advice is appreciated, these subs would be classified as "daily" is how fi puts it, but idk if the bl is more of a spl sub or if it reproduces music well, im open to other model subs, looks like the fi q could be an option as well...

anyhow thank yall inadvance.

oh.

this would be going into my 2008 single cab dodge ram.

pic cause i think my trucks purdy... haha.

truck015.jpg

think of building a ported enclosure for the subs you have now for more output?

The big question is can you fit a box that big in the truck?

yessir, i am currently running my tens with a cube each, and i have a small bit of dead space in the center as well, i have up to 6 cubes available and possibly a bit more when i remove my center console. dont think ill need it at all though.

think of building a ported enclosure for the subs you have now for more output?

yes i have considered it but my local dealer says they perform best in 1.5 cubes per sub, which is fine but they are also entry level subs, id kinda like something that can take more of a beating. i considered 4 diamond d3 12s sealed but after hearing that truck with the btl 18s i got to thinking that i dont think a sealed box will ever hit the lows that i want, so go less subs but better quality, port them and pound them.

i thought the same thing when i read the title. then i saw it was a dodge. they have a rather large cavity behind the seat. i think the designer may have been a basshead

the plan sounds good from what ive seen. you wont get anywhere near the "nasty loud" of that pair of 18s, but you could definitely get pretty loud with 5 cubes of space and 2500w. i would even entertain the thought of using a single 15 just so people who make stupid faces when you tell them you have a 15" sub behind the seat in a regular cab truck. haha

i thought the same thing when i read the title. then i saw it was a dodge. they have a rather large cavity behind the seat. i think the designer may have been a basshead

the plan sounds good from what ive seen. you wont get anywhere near the "nasty loud" of that pair of 18s, but you could definitely get pretty loud with 5 cubes of space and 2500w. i would even entertain the thought of using a single 15 just so people who make stupid faces when you tell them you have a 15" sub behind the seat in a regular cab truck. haha

i agree with the dodge guy being a possible bass head, and i get puzzled looks when i say i got four tens in it now. i heard a couple of jlw7 8's ported and tuned to 31hz that sounded about like i want as far as frequencies but i would prefer a bit more output. and i kinda figured i wouldnt be near the 18s but like i said, nasty loud, i wouldnt want that as a daily, then again, never say never.

last question for now, do these subs require bracing, i know that guy with the btl 18s had some metal poles mounted. do i need to get that extreme, whats reccomended?

thanks for all yalls quick responses

i agree with the dodge guy being a possible bass head, and i get puzzled looks when i say i got four tens in it now. i heard a couple of jlw7 8's ported and tuned to 31hz that sounded about like i want as far as frequencies but i would prefer a bit more output. and i kinda figured i wouldnt be near the 18s but like i said, nasty loud, i wouldnt want that as a daily, then again, never say never.

last question for now, do these subs require bracing, i know that guy with the btl 18s had some metal poles mounted. do i need to get that extreme, whats reccomended?

thanks for all yalls quick responses

double baffle, i would use dowels to support the top baffle where the subs lie

ill almost have to do them downfire because of the mounting depth and the excursion, would you still suggest the dowels in that application.

Edited by the fat kid

Sign in to follow this