Sign in to follow this  
sand master5

fi btl 18 keeps braking screws

i need help finding some screws that wont brake when the bass hits from my btl im getting tiered of putting new ones in what are some good screws thatll keep these beast down

same here. My last several builds all broke screw heads and snapped the shafts inside the baffle.

What u need to do is use bolts. Get u some t-nuts or hurricane nuts.

Oh.. and we are assuming u predrilled the mounting holes, right?

Got any pics?

no but i have a youtube channel if that helps youtube.com/user/18Fibtl

i never had any problem breaking screws when i had my BTL...is your enclosure double baffled?

i used t nuts and bolts, mine is fine. beat on it everyday :)

same here. My last several builds all broke screw heads and snapped the shafts inside the baffle.

What u need to do is use bolts. Get u some t-nuts or hurricane nuts.

Oh.. and we are assuming u predrilled the mounting holes, right?

yeah they are predrilled and i was thinking of bolts it might be better because they wont chew up the wood over time and they wont brake i might have to look into that

ive had good results using "premium deck screws" from lowes. the ones i have are #8x1-5/8" which is thicker than most of the drywall screws i see a lot of people using. if you look hard enough you can find #10s as well. you might have to look up your local fastenal in your yellow pages though to get them. FYI the # is the diameter of the screw shank. larger # = thicker screw

if i had access to a laser cutter, i would start making some brackets to mount inside the box that are tapped for a 1/4" machine screw or similar. the brackets would have to be 2 piece, 4 mounting holes per bracket, and probably cut from 1/4" or possibly 3/8" steel. there, my idea is out in the open for someone to steal and profit from. all i ask is for a few free sets of said brackets once you get up and running.

on my shades i had the same problem.. i was buyin tempered wood screws... and they dont stretch they just snap.. i started using these gray wood screws and i have only had 2 out of my whole build break in the past year.

If installed correctly even drywall screws will last forever.

If you need something stronger, T-nuts or similar with good quality socket head machine bolts work best....

Sign in to follow this