Maddenkid2011

Car Audio In-Home

Whats the easiest way to hook up your car audio amplifier to a home stereo?

I imagine it involves a $200 converter or something but just fill me in a little.

Why? Really not applicable imo.

Just want to try it. I've had my sub and amp for about a month and a half and I cant install it anytime soon and I HAVE to do something with it.

I just always see people running like a full setup in there garage in videos and pictures, I was just wondering how they do it.

you just need some kind of 12v power source old car battery etc, but just get a HT it will not sound the same as in your car.....

Make sure you have a line out on your Receiver.

you just need some kind of 12v power source old car battery etc, but just get a HT it will not sound the same as in your car.....

HT= Home theater?

I got one, i jus wanna fool around with my new toys.

Depending on what amp you have and how may watts it pulls, you could get a computor psu if it is a high enough wattage. I have a crunch 500.2 pushing two bookshelf speakers untill I can aford to buy a decent stereo amp. There is a little bit of a whining sound but it's not noticable when I am playing music. But if you amp is over 250 watts, I wouldent try with a psu.

Depending on what amp you have and how may watts it pulls, you could get a computor psu if it is a high enough wattage. I have a crunch 500.2 pushing two bookshelf speakers untill I can aford to buy a decent stereo amp. There is a little bit of a whining sound but it's not noticable when I am playing music. But if you amp is over 250 watts, I wouldent try with a psu.

Just a tad over that lol (1000w)

Oh well, this was just a little inquiry I had, no biggie if its a big task.

Just a tad over that lol (1000w)

Oh well, this was just a little inquiry I had, no biggie if its a big task.

you could always get some car bateries and an alternator conected to a large motor :P lol but that could end up being expensive.

Well my original plan was to wrap the power wire around me and grab a fork and stick it in the wall. If my calculations are correct, then my body will resist the current down to 12v.

I was about to try this when, sadly, my power went out. Now that it's back on I have lost all motivation to try it. Im sure it would of worked though.

:ehh:

Well my original plan was to wrap the power wire around me and grab a fork and stick it in the wall. If my calculations are correct, then my body will resist the current down to 12v.

I was about to try this when, sadly, my power went out. Now that it's back on I have lost all motivation to try it. Im sure it would of worked though.

:ehh:

haha, you may be able to use a car battery charger to power your car amp, but i'm not sure since i've never done it.

Way cheaper and more effective to buy a new amplifier that is meant to run on AC

i ran a 600w kenwood off a battery charger it worked awsome on low settings anything really high it would shut down but it still got decently loud and it was a 12v 10amp charger i'm shure if you bought a bigger charger it would work good.

Why take a chance to screw up your equipment. wait to put the equipment in a ride ... sorry, just a suggestion.

If you have a decent 5.1 receiver, just use the sub input on your receiver and run some wire to your sub.

I did that with my Fi SSD 18 for almost a year, and it worked fantastic. It probably gave it about 120watts, which is plenty enough to get it loud. The sub practically destroyed my house. There is no need for an amp when you run these subs in a HT setup. Mine was in the same box its in inside of my car now though, so it was mainly for music. Movies sometimes were just horribly loud bass wise (and play a little too deep also).

How different it will sound compared to a car..... that's all dependent on the rooms acoustics. Mine sounded pretty similar in output and overall SQ. But once i put it in a car, its noticeably louder, and plays certain notes better than when in my room.

tl;dr, no need for an amp, use the receivers power.

ALSO

My friend used to run two amps inside his room. He had 1 small lawn mower battery, hooked up to a battery charger, a big one on wheels they use in car shops. It was plenty to just leave it on while playing music, no matter the volume, and the battery would never die. He ran 2 15s, 2 12s, and 2 10s all at once in his room. It was decently loud for the shitty brands of subs he had.

My one SSD is louder though :suicide-santa:

But, its not really the safest thing to do. We tried a bigger battery once so we didn't have to charge it as often, and battery acid leaked onto his floor. Like i said, not too safe. You run this risk of shit blowing up and catching your house on fire, along with the fact that you won't be able to ground the amps (at least we couldn't).

Edited by hatrix