I'm looking to buy a new laptop, Alienware is what i want... The Alienware M15x.

I need some opinions/thoughts on the configurations below.

Dell customer service helped me out picking them.. (Its all gibberish to me)

I told them i want it fast, dvd player, cd burner, and able to play Call of duty with no lag.

How does this look?

Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black

Intel® Core™ i5-540M 2.53GHz (3.06Ghz Turbo Mode, 3M cache)

6GB Memory (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB DDR3)

15.6-inch WideFHD 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED

1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5850

500GB SATAII 7,200RPM

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card

Automatic Updates: On

Primary - 9-cell (85Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery

1 Year Basic Service Plan

Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed

Internal Bluetooth 2.1 Mini-Card - 2.1 Enhanced Data Rate

Standard Nameplate

Total Price w/Discounts: $2,127.75

seems good but me personally ill go for a mac but those alienwares look badass, good luck it has good specs.

I'd put Ubuntu on it, spec wise it looks good.

Do it!!!! That is a beast of a computor. My friend has the m15x and it is insane!

seems good but me personally ill go for a mac but those alienwares look badass, good luck it has good specs.

They do look insane! lol

I'd put Ubuntu on it, spec wise it looks good.

What is Ubuntu? & why should i put it on?

Do it!!!! That is a beast of a computor. My friend has the m15x and it is insane!

Good thing to hear!

How much more does it cost to go from i5 to i7 on the processor?

Let me check, i think its a few hundred.

Dual Core Processors

Intel® Core™ i3-350M 2.26GHz (3M cache) [included in Price]

Intel® Core™ i5-540M 2.53GHz (3.06Ghz Turbo Mode, 3M cache) [Add $200.00 or $6.00/month1]

Quad Core Processors

Intel® Core™ i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache [Add $300.00 or $9.00/month1]

Intel® Core™ i7 840QM Quad Core Processor, 1.86GHz (3.20GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache) [Add $600.00 or $18.00/month1]

Overclocked Quad Core Processors

Intel® Core™ i7 940XM Quad Core Processor, 2.13GHz (3.33GHz Turbo Mode, 8M Cache) [Add $1,200.00 or $36.00/month1]

do u really need all that?

What r u using it for?

Ubuntu is a unix derivative, linux. If your not running a lot of window based applications then it's great for everything else, and you'll never get any viruses.

You can still run some windows apps under it, but depends on how complex the program is. But the best option is to install both ubuntu and windows, then when your booting your computer you can simply select which OS to boot into.

oh and did I say ubuntu is fast, very fast :)

Ubuntu Linux. It doesn't suck like Windows, and isn't gay like Mac.

I'm not a fan or ubuntu, but i think it can work good depending on what you are useing the computor for. But I'm just going to stick with windows xp, the only windows that actualy works

do u really need all that?

What r u using it for?

I don't know if i need it.. i told the guy my budget and said i want a Alienware M15x and he upgraded some shit.

Using it for web browsing, to watch dvds on, gaming.

Ubuntu is a unix derivative, linux. If your not running a lot of window based applications then it's great for everything else, and you'll never get any viruses.

You can still run some windows apps under it, but depends on how complex the program is. But the best option is to install both ubuntu and windows, then when your booting your computer you can simply select which OS to boot into.

oh and did I say ubuntu is fast, very fast :)

I like the sound of that :)

hmm.. u say u want to do gaming... regardless of how fast your laptop is.. many laptops do not support highly integrated video chips for such use.

Now, i've been away from laptop technology advances for a few yrs so u should look into that.

Also, do some research-

Because of the problem, i've heard at least one company, if not more by now, start testing external video cards to plug up to laptops to allow them to play today's games in HD. I do not know if such product(s) exist yet though.

hmm.. u say u want to do gaming... regardless of how fast your laptop is.. many laptops do not support highly integrated video chips for such use.

Now, i've been away from laptop technology advances for a few yrs so u should look into that.

Also, do some research-

Because of the problem, i've heard at least one company, if not more by now, start testing external video cards to plug up to laptops to allow them to play today's games in HD. I do not know if such product(s) exist yet though.

Other then that, how does the rest look?

- All i hear from people that use Alienware, is that its a great gaming laptop. I've never been into PC gaming.. it's just to fool around with after work. (Hotel life is boring)

Yeah when you load Ubuntu, you can choose which OS you'd like to use.

Personally Windows 7 is a great OS, it is the functionality of XP with the looks of Vista. None of the problems Vista had.

Apple is Unix as well, but in a gay'd out status symbol that costs 4 times what it should version.

Personally Windows 7 is a great OS, it is the functionality of XP with the looks of Vista. None of the problems Vista had.

Apple is Unix as well, but in a gay'd out status symbol that costs 4 times what it should version.

So, i could have windows and ubuntu, then when i turn my laptop on i can choose what OS i want to use, right?

Will it still have my stuff though? Say i save a song/desktop/program/picture will it be on both OS?

This. Windows 7 is exactly that, ease of XP with the look of Vista. Have no complaints.

Linux is great, but for someone with little to no computer knowledge, I think it is just to much a pita. Just for everyday use and gaming, stick with the Windows 7. So easy to use, everything is pretty much plug&play now. No hunting for the right drivers and compatibility (a MAJOR issue when using Linux).

This. Windows 7 is exactly that, ease of XP with the look of Vista. Have no complaints.

Linux is great, but for someone with little to no computer knowledge, I think it is just to much a pita. Just for everyday use and gaming, stick with the Windows 7. So easy to use, everything is pretty much plug&play now. No hunting for the right drivers and compatibility (a MAJOR issue when using Linux).

Window 7 it is then :)

More interested in what people think about the configurations

As far as the config, idk much about pc gaming but I can tell you that is gonna be one quick pc. With 6 gigs of DDR3 and an i5, you think about doing something and that laptop will already be on it, lol. Definately should get the job done for something just to play with after work.

I'd look into some other Gaming companies, Alienware can be/is extremely overpriced. Digital Storm is an option, this is also a great laptop for the price, don't frown upon the refurbished title; Asus - Refurbished Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black. My cousin bought an Alienware laptop a couple years back and he told me "This was one of the biggest mistakes that i've purchased".

I want an Alienware M15X. I don't want to switch up companies or computers. The 2 grand is fine with me.

Why didn't he like the Alienware?

all of that is overkill for your needs

It isn't future proof either...by time you'll need to put all that processing power to use, the video card will be a bottleneck.

I will say that Alienware is quite overpriced. I got the same, if not a better, computer from Sager for half the price of an Alienware with the same specs.

Of course, with Moore's Law, a bunch of stuff is a lot cheaper now.

Edited by dvalue

I want an Alienware M15X. I don't want to switch up companies or computers. The 2 grand is fine with me.

Why didn't he like the Alienware?

I think he sepnt like 3,000 on it it was obsolete within 6 months, slew of problems.

you can do much better with other companies. Do you HAVE to have a laptop? You could build a killer desktop for less than probably 1,000.