djjdnap

How to keep your box from crumblin to pieces...

Yeah i know i haven't posted in a long ass time.. However..

So i finally got the Navi goin a while ago and sold the town car.

I kept my same box i had and just threw it in after i reconed my MT's.

So needless to say 10x louder in an suv than in a car.

But after a week or so off playing music i start to notice rattles and squeaks. So a few days later the bass just isn't hitting.

So I go back to the box and see this...

photomu.jpg

Thinkin to myself dam, i might need to start fiber-glassing the inside of my boxes lol.

Funny thing is i can listen to my music all day up loud but passengers seem to have sensitive ears..on the broken box at that. lol

2 18" mt's 5k watts btw 150's im hopin

------------------------------------------------

So pretty much this thread is to show how not to have your box end up like the pic above.

1.bracing, bracing, bracing!!

they say your box should be strong and sturdy enough that an elephant could step on it and it not cave in.

2.Fiberglass the inside of your box and use wood glue!!!

fiber-glassing isn't necessarily but would be a big help

wood glue between joints should be mandatory.

3.Use a double baffle

-meaning use 2 layers wood for a side of the box

-----------------------------

Only 3 i could come up with myself but this is really for i would say 2k watts and over i've had some pretty substantial systems and not need anything but screws and caulking, but i guess with 5k theres a difference lol.

Instead of wood glue however i plan on using construction adhesive on my next box. that i hopefully will have done b4 it gets too cold outside.

Any other thoughts would be appreciative.

That box looks like it got wet, and it doesn't look like very much glue was used. I'd say that was the biggest problem. I've gotten in the 50s before with doing most the things and NEVER had an issue like that.

Drywall screws would have held it together better, but seriously, no glue? That box was basically slapped together.

Gorilla Glue is some GOOD stuff!!!! You all might want to check it out. When using it you damp the area you are going to apply the glue to, and as the glue dries it expands to fill in any gaps often times seeping out of the seems depending how much you apply. But nothing sanding can't take care of.

Gorilla Glue

You can pick it up in your local hardware store; Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Titebond and Elmer's wood glue work better than Gorilla Glue for MDF.

Titebond is amazing for that shit!!!!!!!!!!

J

I "resin" every single one of my boxes i have made and they are solid as a rock. Yes, i know some people say it actually weakens the box but I still use it because i think it has a strength advantage over other glues.

yea the box sat outside for a couple weeks but was covered.

Those are drywall screws as well, the bass is unscrewing them little by little.

And yes i recall the thread on here or ca that tested all of the glue's and titebond was the best.

This was not my first box ive built others, but this was the only one where

screws popped out, bracing on the inside of the box has started breaking off, ect ect

I use pretty much just glue. Titebond of course, clamp it and just use a few small tack nails to secure the joints. I've never had a problem.

Mine got Elmers Wood Glue ... No problems ... :fing34:

No real need to get wet, moisture and humidity will damage a box if left outside over a period of time. :drink40:

I "resin" every single one of my boxes i have made and they are solid as a rock. Yes, i know some people say it actually weakens the box but I still use it because i think it has a strength advantage over other glues.

Resin on the inside and wood glue on the joints are 2 totally different things. Resining the inside will add no strength to the joints of the panels.

DAMN havent seen you in a long ass time.

that box dont look like MDF it looks like partial board all so its single layered.

i sold my towncar.. picked up a navi.. did a drop in 148.6 and sold the navi... back in a towncar now!

yeah man been busy.

just got a house so workin on that and school.

so no real time to post or work on the car lol.

And yeah the Navi def doesn't ride as smooth as the TC

tight bond + some course thread screws(PRE DRILL THE HOLES) +a thick coat of bedliner on the outside to keep moisture from wood

Looks like poor overall construction and internal bracing would help out a lot. An yea letting the box sit out in the elements for a couple weeks can allow moisture to get in and weaken and expand the wood.

Beautiful box bangin, argent will soon be shipping a new home for my xcons.