BanginGMC

Electrical issue

Okay, so i think i fucked something up in my 86 GMC S-15 that deals with electrical, go figure right..

Everything was working perfectly, then.. i connected my (2) D3100 XS Power batts with (2) runs of 0AWG wire (pos n neg) and something (idk what) happened and this is the results...

I started my truck (got low voltage) and my Head Unit didn't turn on, along with amps.

I put a test light on my 15amp Radio fuse in my fuse box by my kick panel and no power, so i pulled it and it wasn't blown but i replaced it anyway.

Then put a test light on it and still no power.

I pulled my Head Unit to check the factory 10amp fuse and i got the same issue, no power but not blown.

On my fuse box by my kick panel theres about 10 or more fuses... and around half, when i put the test light to it, it doesn't light up.

I replaced a 10amp fuse in the box that had no power (fuse wasn't blown again) and still got NO POWER!

What happened? :puzzled:

Maybe try getting some small wire directly from the batt to the HU.....

Hmmmmm. You killed it.

check your alt to see if it's putting out anything.

If it's not, pop fuse box and check alt fuse turn on fuse. It should be around 10A or less

Replace this with a 15A fuse

Next, check ground on headunit and also remove the turn onlead from the stereo if it still doesnt turn on to see if that helps.

You would have to check but I think on the mid '80s models there were fusible links at the starter that feed certain circuits may one that burnt. If you start to look at them make sure all bats are disconnected. Don't have access until tomorrow but if I new all the fuses that were dead I could probly tell ya what they feed from. GL

i forgot to say why...

Replace alt fuse ONLY if it's popped. If it is u replace with higher because typical HO alts pull more exciter current.or whatever it's called.

Hmmmmm. You killed it.

It as in?

check your alt to see if it's putting out anything.

If it's not, pop fuse box and check alt fuse turn on fuse. It should be around 10A or less

Replace this with a 15A fuse

Next, check ground on headunit and also remove the turn onlead from the stereo if it still doesnt turn on to see if that helps.

Check it with a DMM or test light?

I'll go out now and look for that fuse now, check the ground and remove remote wire.

just check fuse for alt turn on.

Also, i'd only recommend removing remote turn on if stereo still doesnt turn on after ensuring the ground is secured.

I would get a dmm and check 12v constant on to make sure it's there at the headunit

Also, check the ignition wire too once key is turned over to make sure that wire is reading right too.

You would have to check but I think on the mid '80s models there were fusible links at the starter that feed certain circuits may one that burnt. If you start to look at them make sure all bats are disconnected. Don't have access until tomorrow but if I new all the fuses that were dead I could probly tell ya what they feed from. GL

I dont think i saw any fusible links when i installed my starter a while back, but i'm not even sure what they look like.

fusible links at the starter Looks like a regular wire but a little spongy(softer) works similar to how a fuse works. If one is burnt you should be able to tell by lookin closely

just check fuse for alt turn on.

Also, i'd only recommend removing remote turn on if stereo still doesnt turn on after ensuring the ground is secured.

I would get a dmm and check 12v constant on to make sure it's there at the headunit

Also, check the ignition wire too once key is turned over to make sure that wire is reading right too.

im not seeing any alt turn on fuse, although some fuses have partially faded names... i'll just check all the fuses.

Checking wires now..

fusible links at the starter Looks like a regular wire but a little spongy(softer) works similar to how a fuse works. If one is burnt you should be able to tell by lookin closely

looking now

Do you have a fuse box under the hood?

Found the problem guys! it was the power wire running from the head unit to the batt. It got sliced SOMEHOW i have no idea how but i ran new wire and relocated it :)

Thanks everyone!!!

good to know... happy your back to beatin' that truck.

stupid stuff like that just pisses you off. "how the hell did that happen?!" glad you found your easy fix, and got your beat back.