cobra93

4- sa-8 enclosure

No problem, Thanks for looking/commenting.

I don't know if you read my response or not, but if you didn't:

Why 4 runs of 1/0 you ask, because I 'm only doing this once.

I'm running 1 positive and 1 negative for the saz-2000d

I'm running 1 positive and 1 negative for everything else.

I can pull 3 sets of 4 awg. (pos./neg.) off of the second set to run a jl 300/2, saz-125.2 and an undetermined amp to run the front stage when I go active.

That makes sense. Have you thought to just ground the amps to the frame? save you some money on the wiring, and some work. I believe either will work, personally i would go this route.

No problem, Thanks for looking/commenting.

I don't know if you read my response or not, but if you didn't:

Why 4 runs of 1/0 you ask, because I 'm only doing this once.

I'm running 1 positive and 1 negative for the saz-2000d

I'm running 1 positive and 1 negative for everything else.

I can pull 3 sets of 4 awg. (pos./neg.) off of the second set to run a jl 300/2, saz-125.2 and an undetermined amp to run the front stage when I go active.

That makes sense. Have you thought to just ground the amps to the frame? save you some money on the wiring, and some work. I believe either will work, personally i would go this route.

I thought about doing that, but I already have the wire and I prefer going directly to the battery

That works just as well, if not better. you know it's a good ground, no chances of getting a bad one in the rear of the vehicle. Remember about the big 3!

That works just as well, if not better. you know it's a good ground, no chances of getting a bad one in the rear of the vehicle. Remember about the big 3!

That may start tomorrow, I also have an alternator to install.

I just hope I don't have any issues with the alternator, it's from DB electrical, 200 amp.

I've heard some bad things on this forum about them, but i bought it before I knew there could be potential issues. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I L O V E your box !!!

:fing34: :fing34:

Thanks, I hope to get it covered tomorrow. I'll keep posting pics as I progress.

I just hope I don't have any issues with the alternator, it's from DB electrical, 200 amp.

I've heard some bad things on this forum about them, but i bought it before I knew there could be potential issues. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Somebody, somewhere will find something to complain about on any company. Nobody is perfect, it all comes down to who you're trusting on these issues. So there is a chance you will get a good product! I'm not supporting the company or know much about them/their issues you've seen, i'm just wishing you the best on your install and new gear. Get to it! :D

Somebody, somewhere will find something to complain about on any company. Nobody is perfect, it all comes down to who you're trusting on these issues. So there is a chance you will get a good product! I'm not supporting the company or know much about them/their issues you've seen, i'm just wishing you the best on your install and new gear. Get to it! :D

Very true, I'm on it.

Nice enclosure :popcorn:

I'll probably try it but with cut pvc pipe instead of metal..

Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea, if you can get close enough on the two radii.

I'd go schedule 80 on pvc, or fill in between with foam or something.

Edited by cobra93

Like the enclosure a lot, it looks mean as hell. I do question how well the steel is going to seal to the top and bottom panels of the enclosure, but I figure you have something worked out. :D

Otherwise, my first HO alty was a DB electrical 250 amp. Aside from the voltage regulator being a little slow to compensate it seemed to work pretty decent. It at the very least made a good deal more output than the factory 140 amp that came on the van, but I didn't own a clamp on meter to test it with before I had to replace it. I would imagine I would still be using it if a bad battery hadn't burnt it up.

I got started this morning, paint is drying right now. I rushed it a little and it's hard to get good coverage now without runs. :suicide-santa:

It doesn't look that good (It's a twenty footer) but doubt anyone will see it. I don't advertise my system.

This will be a learning experience to plan a little better next time. :faintthud:

Edited by cobra93

Alton:

Like the enclosure a lot, it looks mean as hell. I do question how well the steel is going to seal to the top and bottom panels of the enclosure, but I figure you have something worked out. :D

Thanks again.

I hope it sound good and rattles my teeth when I want it to.

I loaded the area between the wood/steel with silicone before I bolted them down, then more silicone to seal the outside after it was bolted down.

Edited by cobra93

Alton:

Otherwise, my first HO alty was a DB electrical 250 amp. Aside from the voltage regulator being a little slow to compensate it seemed to work pretty decent. It at the very least made a good deal more output than the factory 140 amp that came on the van, but I didn't own a clamp on meter to test it with before I had to replace it. I would imagine I would still be using it if a bad battery hadn't burnt it up.

That's good to hear.

I've heard allot of people talk about products arriving DOA and such.

Ether I've been lucky or they break it and don't own up to it, I'll guess it's the latter.

Edited by cobra93

Well, today was almost a total loss.

I started by repainting the port and replacing the c.s. screws with button head screws. While I was working on this I was almost run over by two pissed off squirrels.

Then my brother comes out of the house to see what I'm doing, he looks up to say something, then his eyes got real big and he took a step back starring a the top of my head.

To make a long story short, I thought there was a bee flying around my head or something, so I swatted my hand over my head and hit this praying mantis to the ground. I don't know how long it was there, I never felt it, I was wearing a bandana.

It's about 5" long.

gallery_11963_485_159998.jpg

I thought the screws and the port looked better.

gallery_11963_485_1536223.jpg

Then the brown truck showed up. :gift:

My fuses, fuse holders, ring terminals, cushioned stainless steel clamps, battery terminal protectors and heat shrink tubing arrived.

gallery_11963_485_82285.jpg

gallery_11963_485_1121683.jpg

gallery_11963_485_824741.jpg

gallery_11963_485_921968.jpg

From this point everything went down hill. :suicide-santa:

I got the black micro-suede out and cut "SUNDOWN" out in 4" tall letters, It looked pretty damn good.

I sprayed the super 74 down on the backside of the black, reached over to get the silver suede and the wind folded the black over onto itself. NOW I'M F___KING PISSED!!!!!!

I got it laid out smooth again, grabbed the silver and used the roller on it, o.k. I should be good. Right?

I flip it over to admire the last 2 hours of work only to see the super 74 bled through the black and it's ruined. :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa:

NOW I'M READY TO START THROWING S__T!!!!!!!!!!!

So I head inside to do a search for a better adhesive. I don't find much.

I head down to ace hardware to get some stainless wood screws and some stainless finishing washers to do the ends of the box.

They had some Elmers spray adhesive that stated "low bleed through", so I bought a can.

Well the Elmers doesn't bleed through, but I don't think it sticks either.

I wrapped the box and cut the port and holes out. I check in the a.m. to see if it will hold the suede on or if I'm going to have to start over. THIS SUCK'S, a complete waste of a day!!!!!!!!!!

If I redo the suede I may try the logo again, but for now this is what it looks like.

gallery_11963_485_1765315.jpg

gallery_11963_485_34279.jpg

On another note I picked up some strain relief's from menards to run the 1/0 into the back of the truck. I'll try to get the truck wired this weekend.

Edited by cobra93

I got a late start today. I didn't get all the electrical finished, oh well.

My camera was pissing me off, it doesn't work unless the batteries are brand new, so I don't have allot of pics today.

I made up an aluminum mounting bracket for the 2 fuse blocks.

gallery_11963_485_450616.jpg

Drilled some holes and got them mounted.

gallery_11963_485_9460.jpg

I got a late start today and my camera was pissing me off. It doesn't want to work unless the batteries are new, so I didn't take allot of pics.

I made an aluminum mounting bracket for my fuse blocks.

gallery_11963_485_450616.jpg

Drilled some holes and mounted them.

gallery_11963_485_9460.jpg

I got 4-1/0 runs down the underside of the truck, clamped well out of the way of anything hitting or catching them.

gallery_11963_485_1127359.jpg

Drilled 4 - 1" holes to bring them into the rear of the truck, mounted the strain reliefs and pulled the wire into the cab.

The wires are 1" away from the metal in this pic, it's just the angle that makes it look like there touching.

gallery_11963_485_1853070.jpg

Inside of the truck. These are water tight strain reliefs.

Don't mind the other wires in this pics, they will all be removed.

gallery_11963_485_281838.jpg

I over guesstimated how much cable I'd need. I could run all 4 of these back to a trailer and power a stereo in it if I needed to.

Better to have too much than too little and too much is just about right.

gallery_11963_485_1457554.jpg

I hope to get the rest of the electrical done tomorrow and start welding the frame for the 2000d/ enclosure.

Edited by cobra93

Yesterday I got the alternator installed and the rest of the wiring under the hood done.

It was getting cold, 45-50 degrees, to make matters worse after 12:00 it would sprinkle for 15 minutes then stop, then start, then stop. I kept putting things back in the garage, then taking them out again.

I'd had enough around 4:30.

The alternator installed, I know , big whoop. It's a massive 200 amp DB Electrical on a 4 cylinder.

gallery_11963_485_777016.jpg

GOT CORROSION????????

These are the stock 100,000 plus miles battery terminals.

gallery_11963_485_382087.jpg

These are the new terminals with all the connections made. It's getting crowded in here.

The monster of a battery will be upgraded soon.

gallery_11963_485_1756012.jpg

The 2 fuse blocks mounted and wires run.

gallery_11963_485_1600273.jpg

The voltage at idle. The stock was at 14.45 idle and dropped to 12.89 volts at idle with a 50 hertz tone and 1 jl 500/1 at full tilt.

gallery_11963_485_73105.jpg

Today was warmer and no rain.

I got started on the frame to secure the enclosure and will add angle iron to secure some amps under the enclosure.

Time to get the welder out. It does quite well for a 110 volt welder.

gallery_11963_485_826049.jpg

gallery_11963_485_1158452.jpg

gallery_11963_485_1233087.jpg

When trying to remove the rear seats I snapped the heads of 2 bolts. 100,000 plus miles of rust and crap on the threads.

I got the metabo with wire wheel and some penetrating oil out to remove the rest of the bolts.

Then I got the drill and tap set out to repair the snapped bolts because I'm using the existing holes to mount the frame to the floor.

The frame in the truck.

The existing amps will have to be relocated (or flipped upside down) so I can adjust the crossovers and gains.

The amps are mounted on an aluminum frame behind the plastic panel.

gallery_11963_485_592360.jpg

gallery_11963_485_108631.jpg

gallery_11963_485_455727.jpg

gallery_11963_485_116919.jpg

gallery_11963_485_11563.jpg

I need more angle iron to finish the frame. I make it tomorrow at work. I hope to have the box done and installed by this weekend, we'll see.

Nice work! I can manipulate wood very well, but I wish I could do it with metal as well.

Well, I'm a steel fabricator not a carpenter. I wish I was both.

Steel is easy, If you screw up you can weld it back together.

I started today with the amp rack. The feet are welded off, and the angle iron to hold the amps is welded off.

I put the box in to get a better overall picture. I will be recovering the box as I'm not happy with the way the suede turned out.

I have plenty of room for the amps under the box.

gallery_11963_485_608738.jpg

gallery_11963_485_906630.jpg

The amps (saz-125.2, saz-2000d) under the box.

gallery_11963_485_1193144.jpg

gallery_11963_485_347873.jpg

Without the box.

gallery_11963_485_128712.jpg

gallery_11963_485_520931.jpg

gallery_11963_485_1498808.jpg

I figured the 125.2 is going to get hot, not sure about the 2000d. So I went inside to grab some 120mm fans.

I'll mount them to the back of the cover panel that goes from the frame to the floor. I will use at least 4, maybe more.

gallery_11963_485_803789.jpg

I've yanked the interior out of the truck 3 days in a row now, so I thought I'd run my new rca's while I could.

I an planing to put a pioneer dex-p99rs in the truck and go active sometime soon so 4 runs of rca's and I don't have to screw around with this again.

gallery_11963_485_1643186.jpg

gallery_11963_485_1398349.jpg

gallery_11963_485_459180.jpg

I made some cheap wire separators to keep the rca's flat under the carpet. This also works great for keeping spark plug wires separate, no more misfires.

gallery_11963_485_738369.jpg

gallery_11963_485_64625.jpg

I may go golfing tomorrow, not sure.

I also have the frame in primer and will paint it tomorrow. I may start recovering the box as well.

Making some good progress now bro. Looks real good.

Sucks to have days like that where everything goes wrong, but there is always tomorrow.

I use the same thing to separate spark plug wires, had not thought about using it to keep cables separated too.

Thanks Sir Lance, I'll keep forging ahead.

I should have the subs working this weekend.

Your build is coming along nicely.

I'd love to hear it!

I'm having a hard time finding good resources on pro audio drivers, reviews.

If you have any links/forums, I love to know about them.

After I got the box built I think everyone lost interest in this build, oh well there loss.

Thanks for checking back on my progress.

I foresee panels flapping in the near future

This will be my first taste of sundown sub's, I can't wait.

Then it's on to the front stage, Game On!!

Never seen the twist tie idea before thanks for that. :bigok:

Never seen the twist tie idea before thanks for that. :bigok:

Zip ties, No problem. :gift:

Wish I'd come up with it.

Edited by cobra93